Why should I get the DM7080HD?

• Hi,

Reposting this in the English section.

I'm hoping some of you might be able to answer a few questions about the DM7080. This forum seemed to be the biggest collection of users.

I would like to get a Linux-based satellite receiver for watching the Freesat channels in the UK. This will be my first Linux receiver, I have been researching them, but I am still very new to this area.

I want the following features:
    - fast interface
    - reliable watching and recording of Freesat channels
    - able to also watch Kartina IPTV service
    - good hardware for future software updates

I have chosen either the DM7080HD or the Vu+ Duo2. They both have very similar specs and seem to be the fastest machines available at the moment.

I prefer the physical look of the DM7080 as I think the LCD on the Duo2 is distracting, but so far I have only seen the photos and Youtube videos of the DM7080. There doesn't seem to be much English support information for the DM7080, and in the forums it looked like people were having lots of issues with the new machine and some of the advertised features are not working yet.

What do you DM enthusiasts really think of the DM7080? Is it reliable? Is it well built? Why should I pay the extra to get the DM7080 over the Duo2?
    I have not used either of them so I am very interested in your expert opinions.

Does anyone here have any experience of watching the Kartina IPTV service on the DM7080? Is there a plugin available? I did see some mentions of a Kartina plugin for "enigma2" but I do not know if this will run on the DM7080 or if it will need a new version specifically for the DM7080.

In the specs it mentions the DM7080 supports a 3.5" HDD, does anyone know if there are also mounting holes for a 2.5" HDD or is it really only a 3.5" HDD?

Many thanks for any help and opinions,

Charles

Receivers: DM7080 HD (Astra 28.2E)

• Well, first of all the DM7080HD is still quite new and does not only have new hardware but also a new software "generation". Also DMM is currently heavily developing and implementing new features, which leads sometimes to new problems or bugs, too. This might be the downside of frequent updates and the users participation in the development process. But for many users this is the whole fun or thrill about Dreamboxes :grinning_squinting_face:
    You mention the not missing features. These are the Transcoding-Unit and the HDMI-IN. For both support has been announced but the software is not yet published. I am confident that we don't have to wait too long for these features, but DMM did not give any schedule or deadline for these features.

The DM7080 is very well built and is already completly reliable. There were some issues with random, tiny errors in recordings, but these seem to be fixed with the last update (3 days ago).

The fact that Dream Multimedia (DMM) is a German company with German engineers for hard- and software justifies for me the high price. Especially plugin developers can always contact the enigma2 developers and get support, tips and tricks. This you won't get at VU+ or other manufacturers that offer enigma2 receivers. Additonally the "original" enigma2 was developed by DMM and is now exclusively for Dreamboxes. The competitors use a fork of the last version that had an open source enigma2 core where they could remove dreambox specific system checks.

I don't have any experience with Kartina IPTV. But as mentioned above the 7080 uses a new generation of enigma2 (under the new marketing name Dreambox OS) that has new APIs. Some plugins need to be adopted to this changes. If the plugins are open source, this has usually already been done by various developers (for the majority of plugins DMM did this long before the 7080 release). But of course closed source plugins can only be changed by the original author. I don't know who is the author of the Kartina plugin and whether it is open source. But maybe it does not even need to be changed for Dreambox OS because the API has been changed only in some parts. Most parts of enigma2 are still compatible.

The mounting frame for the hard disk supports 2.5" or 3.5" disks :smiling_face:

Edit: Regarding transcoding I'v just found this: http://git.opendreambox.org/?p=dreamrtspserver.git;a=summary :grinning_squinting_face: So DMM seems to have just released the source code of a new project for transcoding. I'm sure it will be on the boxes in a few days :smiling_face:

so long
    m0rphU

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von m0rphU ()

• Hi m0rphU

Thanks very much for such a detailed post.

So the new DM7080 runs OpenEnigma 2.2, which is now closed source, for Dreamboxes only.
    Can the Dreambox also run images like Vix or BlackHole that I have seen for the Vu+?

What is this Merlin I keep seeing mentioned?

I am a developer myself so I don't mind helping out updating plugins if I need to.
    It is good to hear that Dream give good support to the developers.

Is there a central place to look for plugins?
    So far I see people posting links to binaries in forums, is that how we find and install plugins or does the DM7080 download them from a repository somewhere?

If you know any good links for Dreambox plugin development I would love to see them.

I will be getting a WD 4TB AV-GP HDD for my recordings, do you know if I am supposed to partition this in any special way or just leave it as one large partition? Is there any preferred filesystem (FAT32, ext3, ext4)?

Do I need to create any Linux swap space?

It sounds like I will need to setup two things on my DM7080:
    - A nightly channel scan on Astra 28.2E to find new channels automatically
    - A nightly EPG download for the Freesat EPG

Are these easy to do on the Dreambox?

Also, one thing I found useful with my previous provider was being able to remotely schedule recordings from my iPhone/iPad when I was away from home. Would I be able to do the following with the Dreambox?
    - Send my Dreambox a Wake-on-LAN packet to wake it up
    - Access a web page on the Dreambox (or use a mobile app) to allow me to schedule a recording

I like the look of the DM7080 more and more. I just wish that they also made a DVB-T2 tuner, I only use S2 right now but in the UK we also use DVB-T2 for terrestrial HD, I know that the Vu+ boxes have a T2 tuner available.

Thanks for the help,

Charles

• OE stands for OpenEmbedded which is the Dev-Plattform for all enigma2 images. The images are not closed source, but the drivers and c++ core are.

Merlin is an image just like the two you mentioned, but for Dreamboxes only. You can find our image and board at: http://board.dreambox-tools.info/cmps_index.php I don't think that the VU+ image teams are producing dreambox images, just because they're using an enigma2 fork and so much is different. But I know that the OpenATV team is still creating images based on the fork for dreamboxes as well.

The default setup for the hard drive (as it is down on initialisation via the GUI) is a small (1 GB) Swap partition + the rest as ext4 partition. xfs, ext3 or so is possible as well, but you need to do this manually or with other plugins (eParted, GP3,...). FAT32 is not a good idea, because of the limit in file size which would be exceeded by almost every regular recording. exFat and NTFS are only possible with FUSE kernel modules and thus quite slow.

Why do you think you need an automated channel scan? I don't know Astra 28.2E but usually new channels are automatically found if you zap to other channels on the same transponder. Or does FreeSat change frequencies and stuff daily?
    EPG download can be done via CrossEPG on the old plattform and with gutemines OpenEPG on OE 2.2( http://www.oozoon-board.de/wbb…page=Thread&threadID=1466).

WOL is not possible, the Dreambox would need to stay in Idle-Mode :frowning_face:
    If you setup your router accordingly remote access (e.g. via a Dyndns service) is no problem at all. From a security point-of-view I would suggest a VPN or SSH tunnel.

DVB-T2 Tuners are not announced by DMM, but I think there is a solution via an USB tuner by sundtek: http://sundtek.com/shop/Digita…Radio-AnalogTV.html?cur=1 I use it for DVB-C reception and it works fine. But DVB-T2 is not available in Germany, so I have no experience about that.

so long
    m0rphU

• OE = http://wiki.blue-panel.com/index.php/OE_2.2_%28en%29

is not the same as DreamOS which is the image, with the (closed) Enigma2

Merlin is one of the images which can be used on dreamboxes,
    the actual images are based on the DMM image, but can offer some extra functions, plugins, skins, ....

plugins are on the "feeds" of those images

the DMM stuff can be found on www.dreamboxupdate.com

1 partition on the HDD is OK, the device manager of the image can handle the formating

SWAP is not needed on the DM7080 HD

Nightly automatic scan is not possible

EPG update:
    there are plugins such as EPGRefresh (loads while zapping a user defined channel list), EPGImport (new plugin under construction for the 7080HD for loading xml-epg files) and OpenEPG (also new development for loading OpenTV EPG)
    The last 2 are new because a new database EPG solution has been used for the 7080 and 820, and even if the plugins are not final yet, the do the job already

WOL is not supported by the hardware

there is a "Webif" (web interface) on the box, which offers a lot of features,
    the webif is also used by several iOS an Android apps to control the dreambox form a smartphone or tablet

• Thanks to both of you, it is all becoming clearer now :smiling_face:

I guess I don't really need nightly scanning, I just heard that some Freesat channels get moved/added/removed every month, so I was trying to make it as automatic as possible.

I believe that I will need to use the new OpenEPG plugin for the Freesat channels.

Do the plugins themselves auto update, say when a new version of OpenEPG is released, or do I have to update them manually?

I spoke to a dealer who also recommended getting a separate USB flash drive for the EPG.

Shame about the WOL, I have not seen an English manual for the DM7080 yet, but how does the power management work for these boxes?
    Is it just Off->Idle->On ?
    Do people usually leave them on all the time?
    I assume that timer recordings still work in Idle mode?

I ask because I used to have a rubbish Humax box that would always fail to wake up from Standby mode to make timer recordings, so I want to make sure it will not be a problem with this box too.

The webif sounds useful, I will investigate the iOS apps today. I am also an iOS developer myself, so if I don't like them I can always make one myself.

• VTI is a very good image, I still miss it on my 7080hd. But it doesn't make sense to run a OE1.6 based image on the 7080hd as you're giving away the real advantage: dreamboxes are the only enigma2 receivers where the 'core' gets upgraded/enhanced. VTI is making a good image, but it's based on a several years old enigma2 core.

• updates of the plugins from a feed are handled by the package management system, but should be initiated by the user

of course you can also install/update plugins manually

you can read more here: http://wiki.blue-panel.com/ind…_extensions_%28plugins%29

you dealer has to learn some stuff about the new boxes/DreamOS, USB stick is no advantage with the 7080HD

The box has different modes:
    -active (while watching TV)

-idle, running but not watching TV - still reachable over FTP/Telnet/webif ....

-standby, box is not running
    but there is a "frontprocessor" which will wake up the box for set timers (recordings, zapping)
    some plugins (as EPGRefresh) will also offer the possibility to start the box from standby to start some action

but no WOL

ps: if you read it might be you see
    active / standby / deep standby
    these are the old namings, but some people still use them

• Open Source: Good

But a very brief first look into the source code showed this:

Code
    self.epgTimer = eTimer()
    		self.epgProgressTimer = eTimer()
    		self.epgTimer.callback.append(self.epgEvent)
    		self.epgProgressTimer.callback.append(self.epgUpdateProgress)

-> Not good :frowning_face:

eTimer is just one of the API calls that has been changed in DreamOS, so "someone" has to make changes to the plugin for DreamOS... The changes shouldn't be too difficult, but someone has to do it.
    Additionally there is c++ Code involved in the plugin, of which I am totally unsure, whether it will compile and run on the new Dreamboxes....

so long
    m0rphU

• Nightly automatic scan is not possible

not implemented in main functions doesn't mean "is not possible" :smiling_face:

- A nightly channel scan on Astra 28.2E to find new channels automatically

i wrote script for my dm8000(on the dm7080 not trained) and call it weekly from cron

I just wish that they also made a DVB-T2 tuner

just in theory:
    in case clone's Trippletuner(S2/T2/C) has Open Source drivers for dm800; dm800se they maybe can be midfied for other dreambox's models too
    http://www.dream-multimedia-tv…439&highlight=#post137439

• obi already replied that there will be T2 tuners available and also DVB-C Twin ... but don't ask when ...

• Thanks again folks, looking forward to my DM7080 arriving this week sometime.

Once I have got the basics all working, I will take a look at the plugin mentioned above and see if I can update it for OE2.2.

gutemine, that's good to know, thanks.

• gambcl, I just posted a comment to your other thread in the "Produkte/Dreambox DM7080 HD" forum. I'd be interested to know if you're having the same issues as I am with recordings to HDD.

Regarding DVB-T2, a while back I played around with a USB DVB-T2 receiver stick (pcTV nanostick T2 290e) plugged into a DM8000HD. I was able to get the box to recognise it as a tuner but hit a brick wall when trying to configure it for DVB-T2 reception. UK DVB-T2 transmissions use 32K 1/128 256-QAM 2/3. OE2.0 didn't support 32k transmission nor 1/128 guard interval nor 256-QAM constellation and trying to set them to "auto" didn't get me anywhere.

If OE2.2 starts supporting the necessary transponder parameters for DVB-T2 it might be worth having another play with the USB stick even if DMM don't bring out a DVB-T2 tuner.

• Users buy a certain receiver based on specs and looks. Specs are defined by the manufacturer, the looks are solely in the eye of the beholder.

IMHO buying a DM7080 just for its looks is next to ridiculous. The DM7080 has a fast CPU (no doubt about that) but offers absolutely NOTHING innovative for its ridiculous high price!). A good mid-range receiver like a VU+ or Xtrend will do the job just fine and offers all you need.

It would be a different matter if this German Rolls would have UHD compatible hardware (ready for the future).. Closed Source is no good for developers and would bind you hand and feet to just one brand...

• You are right. This business model you discriped is completely unsuccessful as we can learn from Apple every day :smiling_face:

Code
    Wenn jeder nur an sich selbst denkt, ist wenigstens an alle gedacht.
  • I am very pleased with the Dreambox 7080HD (although I am critical). Excellent picture quality (1080p), Gigabit LAN for excessive file swapping (streaming, file exchange) .... Ok, cooking coffee is already a nice-to-have feature. But soon tasty things like OpenGL happens. The developers crew may have become smaller, but qualitatively well positioned. They talk not constantly about things in which they are working on ...

The box design is mediocrity. And I do not mean the lack of colorful displays on the front. But this is for this price not better possible.The Dreambox 7080HD is inexpensive (not to be confused with cheap). Just look at what costs other things in life.

• It would be a different matter if this German Rolls would have UHD compatible hardware (ready for the future).. Closed Source is no good for developers and would bind you hand and feet to just one brand...

Then thank god that probably ~90% of DreamOS code is not closed source! :smiling_face:

so long
    m0rphU

• concerning 7080, that I own personally, are there some hope to see/have drivers to watch hevc/H265 channels on such a powerful machine ? In case which img/team is working on it ?