[SOLVED 99%] DVI(HDMI) can't handle most used aspectratio

• this thema discused couple of times in last two yers, but nothing changes
    only board moderators delete last posts where touched 4:3 aspectratio thema, but Ticket system send to board

ofcourse the best broadcasting way is HD and 16:9, but why not landing to earth, moust of services still provide SD 4:3
    BUT best of satreceivers, also moust expensive, cant send that signal over HDMI

what is requered is just able to change one byte in videostream when source has 4:3 aspect ratio,
    but picture resize leave same as in "Just Scale" mode
    the correct mode can be seen also when change videomode to SCART, only then no sound on DVI

made some script to collect used aspect ratios on some sattelites,
    there are statistics:

Code
    OrbPos; ServicesCount;	4:3;	16:9;
    36E		 297	92,6%	 7,4%
    19E		 936	67,8%	32,2%
    13E		1437	84,8%	15,2%
     5E		 569	78,7%	21,3%

more than 2/3 of services provide 4:3, isn't that enough to add support of 4:3 aspect ratio mode on DVI ?!?!

Receivers: dm920sstsst; dm900sst; dm8000sstt <-Diseq1x4(1.0)<-3x Diseq1x10(1.1)<-
    Dishes:
    1.8m + 42E;36E;28E;23E;19E;16E
    1.6m + 13E;10/9E;5E;1W;8W
    1.6m + 75E;85E
    1.1m + 53/55E;60E
    1.1m + 12W;18W;24W
    1.0m + 15W;22W;30W
    1.0m + 7E;4/5W
    TVs: Philips 46pfl9707s; Philips 42pfl9703h

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von MartiniB ()

• it is amazing i alone can see "The King is Naked"
    yes i know my english is weak and german at 0, then i will try in mathematics

take moust popular aspectratio/resolution(720x576@4:3) service and set dreambox video mode to 576i(best to see what im talking about)
    now go to menu->...->A/V Settings and change parameter "Display 4:3 content as",
    what choices we have:
    1. JustScale
    this mode doesn lose any pixel of picture but it shown in wrong aspectratio cause TV thinks it is 16:9 (Dreambox lies on HDMI)
    that mode is good for plasma users to avoid less burning on panel sides and used in case pannel is too smal
    2. Nonlinear
    looks funny, but dont think anyone use it
    3. Pan&Scan
    good for 16:9 content broadcasted trough 4:3
    4. Pillarbox
    and this is which shows correct aspectratio but degrade picture quality
    cause DVI output signal has same count of pixels(720x576@16:9), but in widescreen
    and what there happens with sorce(720x576@4:3) to able add 2x blackbars 80x576 , source is downscaled to 560x576 -
    around 20% lose, do SD have too many pixels to lose anyone?

new choice requered:
    5. Send as 4:3
    resize must be same as in 1. JustScale mode, but aspectratio flag in videostream must be changed to 4:3
    just one byte, yes mission impossible

and second aspect of necessity 4:3 on DVI is able use Philips briliant AutoZoom feature

the corect signal on the DVI can be get by this commands

Code
    echo any>/proc/stb/video/aspect
    echo policy>/proc/stb/video/policy2
    echo pal>/proc/stb/video/videomode_50hz
    echo pal>/proc/stb/video/videomode_60hz
    echo on>/proc/stb/vmpeg/deinterlace

only then no sound on DVI
    and after set this mode on dreambox have to change to another HDMI input and back on Philips Tv

• 5. Send as 4:3
    resize must be same as in 1. JustScale mode, but aspectratio flag in videostream must be changed to 4:3

I've never seen a STB sending aspect ratio information over HDMI only over Scart (same to teletext). I thought HDMI doesn't support aspect ratio information at all, but now I did the google:
    HDMI_Specification_1.2, pp. 87-89,
    EIA/CEA-861B, p. 57.
    I don't know if the decoder chip in the Dreamboxes is capable of setting these bits or if any TV set is reading these...

DM 800 HD PVR DVB-S2 OoZooN OE1.6-2011-05-09-experimental, Samsung UE40B6000

• I've never seen a STB sending aspect ratio information over HDMI

as i have read Sky.UK boxes do, just not all TVs support that
    and as i wrote previously dreambox can send righ signal, but without sound

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,

i have added it to the drivers.. its included in the next driver snapshot.

But its only possible for 576p/i, 480p/i. The HD modes are always 16:9 modes.

But i think its totally useless because the most TVs don't evaluate this information in AVI Info Frame...in case my both TVs here.

And when you use a HD output mode and enable Pillarbox you don't lost Horizontal Resolution...

cya

• Zitat

Ghost> i have added it to the drivers.. its included in the next driver snapshot. But its only possible for 576p/i, 480p/i. The HD modes are always 16:9 modes.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!
    i run at mornig online update, but not sure updates enough fresh,
    package date under ***nigma2.to/stable/dm8000/3.0/ is 13-May-2010 14:18
    and stamp is 1273752433 enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-videomode_experimental-git20100514-r0_dm8000.ipk
    under A/V Settings (when choosen Mode: 576i) i can change Aspect Ratio{Automatic; 4:3; 16:9; 16:10}, but nothing changes on tv screen

Zitat

Ghost> But i think its totally useless because the most TVs don't evaluate this information in AVI Info Frame...in case my both TVs here.
    my currently too - all is interpretate as 16:9

interesting what Aspect Ratio Flag comes on DVI when videomode switched to SCART, maybe not 4:3 but something like None? cause in that mode my Philips TV interpretates it as 4:3

check what your tv shows when dreambox videomode changed to SCART, see picture, this comes over DVI just without sound

• Zitat

i run at mornig online update, but not sure updates enough fresh,
    package date under ***nigma2.to/stable/dm8000/3.0/ is 13-May-2010 14:18

For sure he was talking about original DMM images from dreamboxupdate.com ...

Other images/feeds are not supported here!!!

Theorie ist, wenn man alles weiß, aber nichts funktioniert.
    Praxis ist, wenn alles funktioniert aber niemand weiß warum.

• Homey
    |\||\|2 team dont touch original parts, just added few menus for easyer life

Ghost
    what exact changes did you made?
    if only added ability change values in /proc/stb/video/aspect from GUI then it is wrong place
    that parameter changes resize before DVI, but DVI(HDMI) sends same signal as before
    when SCART mode activated then always 4:3 and without sound
    when DVI mode then 16:9
    select any 4:3 service open any menu and paste these commands from telnet
    you will see, menu size doesnt cahange only picture resized behind menu

some scripts for testing
    /usr/script/switch_VideoMode_to_SCART_userscript.sh

Bash
    #!/bin/sh
    echo "switching to SCART"
    echo any>/proc/stb/video/aspect
    echo policy>/proc/stb/video/policy2
    echo pal>/proc/stb/video/videomode_50hz
    echo pal>/proc/stb/video/videomode_60hz

/usr/script/switch_VideoMode_to_HDMI_userscript.sh

Bash
    #!/bin/sh
    echo "switching to HDMI(DVI)"
    echo 16:9>/proc/stb/video/aspect
    echo letterbox>/proc/stb/video/policy2
    echo 1080i50>/proc/stb/video/videomode_50hz
    echo 1080i>/proc/stb/video/videomode_60hz
  • they haven't released any new drivers yet with those changes. It will get included when next driver update gets released. Usually they only release drivers when they have made some more changes or fixes and don't release new drivers with small changes.

So just stay tuned, next driver update will get released soon I guess :winking_face:

• Yeah, but driver updates are really rare as Homey said :winking_face:
    Most of your updates are enigma2 and plugin updates (and the software manager shows a wrong number of updates, if you're referring to that)...

Have a look at "opkg info dreambox-dvb-modules" in telnet and you'll see whether they've been updated or not...

so long
    m0rphU

• so, today instaled http://dreamboxupdate.com/open…ental-dm8000_20100516.nfi
    all same as i reported, change values in /proc/stb/video/aspect do not change outgoing signal on DVI

Pic1 - TV thinks there is comming 16:9
    Pic2 - when manualy set 4:3 in TV menu then aspect is correct
    Pic3 - when change dreambox videomode to SCART then TV shows greenish wrong aspectratio picture
    Pic4;Pic5 - BUT after switch TV's inputs to hdmi2 and back to hdmi1 then signal finaly is correct 4:3, but without sound

• Yeah, but driver updates are really rare as Homey said :winking_face:
    Most of your updates are enigma2 and plugin updates (and the software manager shows a wrong number of updates, if you're referring to that)...

Have a look at "opkg info dreambox-dvb-modules" in telnet and you'll see whether they've been updated or not...

without words....

P.S.: Just have a look at the history of the drivers: http://git.opendreambox.org/?p…a6152f4e1fa4aba3f;hb=HEAD

so long
    m0rphU

• also experimental-dm8000_20100516.nfi on old drivers :frowning_face:

and under http://sources.dreamboxupdate.…/1.6/dm8000/experimental/ no files dated at Mai

• Hi,
    i have added it to the drivers.. its included in the next driver snapshot.

are these changes finaly become to experimental?
    still nothing with experimental-dm8000_20100516.nfi; experimental-dm8000_20100524.nfi

• I heard in another thread (HDMI Connection Lost) that new drivers might come out this week ...

He might be still working on some other things in these new drivers and simply has not finished his work yet ...

So ... stay tuned :thumbs_up:

• [Blockierte Grafik: http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/froehlich/b010.gif]

Source: http://git.opendreambox.org/?p…62ca582ed8d47de72d3ed18de

Download (DM800):
    http://dreamboxupdate.com/open…800-20100528-r0_dm800.ipk

• install(dm8k)

Code
    opkg install http://dreamboxupdate.com/opendreambox/1.6/dm8000/experimental/dm8000/dreambox-dvb-modules_2.6.18-7.
    3-dm8000-20100528-r0_dm8000.ipk

Ghost
    FANTASTIC, with Philips now works!!!

and in case aspectratio change doesnt requere HDMI reset i would like see same mode for 1080i
    cause Philips TV can remember different presets for different signals(also when they come on same input)
    then would be posible set on Philips
    Unscaled(dot by dot) mode for all 1080i@16_9 signals (native and upscaled 16:9)
    and AutoZoom for 1080i@4_3(upscaled 4:3 SD)

• YES,
    Aspect Ratio = Automatic must be added also for 1080i mode
    cause 4:3 is able only when DVI output mode is set 576i/p; 480i/p
    but when main mode is set 1080i and plugin Autoresolution is used to change modes then 4:3 still comes as Pillarbox

• :confused_face: 1080i is always 16:9 :confused_face:

BTW: The AutoResolution Plugin probably needs an update for the new aspect-ratio mode "auto" ...