• it was discussed more then once that there is no need to do this because there's simply nothing that would require an upgrade to any other kernel. the opposite is the case: there's a high chance of breaking other things.

Gruss
    Dre

Boxen (im Einsatz): DM920, DM900, DMOne
    Developer Project Merlin - we are OpenSource

• Dream multimedia needs to modernise and update the kernel instead of standing still with an old kernel.
    The advantages are numerous instead of being scared by what may be effected by change.
    Change is good if planned and developed...

• That does not answer my question. It just shows me that you want the new kernel for the sake of it but you can't name anything that is missing today. But let me pick the first item: Radeon RX480GPU...useless. And so it continues

Gruss
    Dre

Boxen (im Einsatz): DM920, DM900, DMOne
    Developer Project Merlin - we are OpenSource

• If you can only enter configure && make to create a kernel driver ... you maybe have to ask for newer kernels ...

if you know more than that ... you don't need to ask :grinning_squinting_face:

• Let's look at the MIPS specific changes there https://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges#line-448
    The first point will make DM800se or DM500HD users very happy :neutral_face::thumbs_down:

Zitat

[...]The relocations make the kernel binary about 15% larger[...]

With very little flash space and memory 15% are a huge downside... and if you go further through the list 90% of the stuff is for other MIPS chips.
    And as dre said: Also the prominent features in the beginning of the list don't matter on a STB.

In general, this fits to the explanation the DMM devs gave in German at that thread: https://www.dream-multimedia-t…&postID=157992#post157992

so long
    m0rphU

• Dream multimedia is missing the main point. The competition is offering an updated kernel and faster spec chips.
    Therefore the consumer has choice and knows exactly where to invest in a new STB...

• In your first post you asked for new kernel for all boxes... Now your talking about new chips but those won't be available for any box currently on the market for obvious reasons (new chip = new box).

So, what's your point now? Hardware or software? The Dreamboxes will not become faster in a magical way by installing a new kernel. Actually it is very likely that the opposite would be the case. And thats what the DMM devs said in the mentioned thread.

so long
    m0rphU

• I am only making you aware of what the consumer is seeking. Currently Dream Multimedia is drifting with its product line up and accompanied software. The competition is offering more and I can only open your eyes...

• If your precious time permits could you inform also Apple that their iMac and Mabooks should use latest kernel and Intel CPUs ?

Thanks in advance,
    gutemine

• But you know that only Dream's enigma2 supports multi-core?

That is not right. There is no enigma2 which supports multi-core !
    Dream updated to systemd and this advantage is that several tasks will be processed parallel

If you want that enigma2 supports multi-core than you have to rewrite enigma2.