DLNA mediaserver functionality on the Dreambox/enigma2 ?.

• Thx Thommy for testing the oe2.

When i read here about oe2, i was quite surprised (and a bit excited) as well.
    But i already thought it would be very surprising if that would really be true.

And i fully agree to your posting - we need a renderer, exactly how you described it.

Can you also test the "enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-upnp" reichi mentioned . . . then i dont have to upgrade my box - yet.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von haesslo ()

• Hi,

After my test I have restored back to dmm 3.2.1 and GP3 !
    So i do not have oe 2.0 any more.

But I would like to try futher, so can anyone explain me a bit
    If it is possible to install oe2.0 somehow in parallel while
    Having dmm 3.2.1 in the flash ?

i have read about Barry Allen but also about dependencies (like Oe 2.0
    Has to be in flash with BA 7 installed) and BA takes some parts of the kernel
    And mixes it with the actual bootet image.

Is there any other way to test oe2.0 without changing my image setup in the flash ?

Kind regards

Thommythekid

• as far as I know its not possible to mix OE1.6 and OE2.0 with dumbo "as it is at the moment"

you can use an "existing" dumbo stick with an OE1.6 image to boot with OE2.0 in flash

but you can't fill the stick
    and to boot from flash you need to remove the stick

same for lowfat

• the build in dlna server fucntion of oe2.0.0 is acting like a standard dlna server. (that's what i experience now with Oppo BDP93eu)

Dreambox DM8000 HD PVR (HDD / DVD-rw | IPTV.

• the build in dlna server fucntion of oe2.0.0 is acting like a standard dlna server.

Does that mean, that the "renderer" also works !! We know that the server side works - but also Mediatomb, Gemini UpnP, etc... worked all the time for me.

The big question is the DLNA renderer !! So that it is simply possible to "push" a media file from e.g. an Android Phone to the LCD Screen.

Bschaar,

you are right !!
    I have spend hours yesterday to try OE2.0 with DUMBO and also found out that it did not work
    (gutemine complained that I have not read a 255 pages thread completely...)

So DUMBO is not really a solution right now !

kind regards
    Thomas

• ah great, so it may be worth destroying everything again !!
    Because DUMBO does not work yet for OE2.0.

I have trained a lot performing system recovery in the last time :smiling_face:

I think i will try again as soon as I have some time....

thanks & kind regards

Thomas

• Hi,

first of all - thanks for implementing this - this was really overdue !!

And: basically it worked for me. Of cause there is still a lot to do...

here are my test results for the demo renderer in detail:

I have tested with my Samsung Galaxy W (Android) - with Allshare (Samsung BuidlIn), Doubletwist Airsync, and some others...

1. Allshare:

Music: absolutely GREAT !!!! Works fantastic !! And (important for me): Allshare has the behavior to switch from one song to the next automatically (like any usual mp3 player)
    This is something Doubletwist does not (even though reported by a lot of people)

Video: I have to mention that I have tested 1024*720 Videos (MP4) taken on the phone and videos with lower resolution (taken from youtube but put on the phone)
    First I get "buffering" and then I get an error on Allshare saying "playback not possible". This is the same for ALL VIDEOS

Pictures: does not work yet (I do not see a picture), but: the infobar says out&id=xx and on Android I get the respective jpg highlighted in blue. When I jump from
    picture to picture in Allshare, I always get a different ID on the screen, but no picture...

some thoughts:

Allshare (and others - based on standard DLNA) also works as a "DLNA" control point, so it cannot only play content that is located on the device Allshare is running, it can also play
    content from other mediaservers in the network and push it to "dm8000" !
    I only got music to work for now, but this also worked if the content was not on the phone, but elsewhere in the network. And this is a difference to "Airplay" - the apple thing
    which also worked on the box with the airplayer plugin ... this is great for youtube, etc. because the possibility to "push to dm8000" is build in the iOS (and an Ipad screen is
    probably also better for selecting what should be played on the screen).

2. Doubletwist Airsync

Music: also works !! But (this is a doubletwist issue) it always only plays one song and then stops (this is the same with standard DLNA and with AIRPLAY)
    so I would prefer allshare here

Video: the identical videos from above (located in the phone) work perfectly !!!
    some remarks here: I would like to have a defined way to stop the video playback (e.g. stop button on remote control)
    sometimes it happens, that the video continues playing even though the server (phone) has been shutdown... because of buffering I assume

Pictures: does also not work yet (I do not see a picture), doubletwist says: sending picture (forever)

The handling of pictures in doubletwist is generally rubbish !! It's very complicated, as
    it's not included in the application. You have to go to the "Picture Galarie" from Android, and
    then "push" picture by picture to the dm8000 player (select "send to" and select the target
    for every picture) => unusable. Therefore I prefer Allshare.

But also other programs like Twonky or iMediashare may work... I did not have time to test it ...

One key question for me would be: what may be the difference between playing the videos (MP4 from the phone) from doubletwist or Allshare ??
    Usually I would expect that there may be a problem with the aibility of the target device to play videos with a specific codec. But this cannot
    be the problem here ... I probably have to mention, that playing these videos from Android to "Windows Mediaplayer 11" also works fine.

Regarding the picture playback from Allshare I think this can only be a small problem, as the player detects that a picture is sent and also detects
    when I klick on a new picture on the phone.

Reichi: Perhaps you can send some comments on my observations....

kind regards
    Thomas

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,
    1. Allshare:

Music: absolutely GREAT !!!! Works fantastic !! And (important for me): Allshare has the behavior to switch from one song to the next automatically (like any usual mp3 player)
    This is something Doubletwist does not (even though reported by a lot of people)

Good to hear :smiling_face:

Video: I have to mention that I have tested 1024*720 Videos (MP4) taken on the phone and videos with lower resolution (taken from youtube but put on the phone)
    First I get "buffering" and then I get an error on Allshare saying "playback not possible". This is the same for ALL VIDEOS

I can only guess here but it think shouldn't be to much of a problem to fix that. There's a lot of "possible variables" in UPnP.
    Unfortunately cannot do any tests with Allshare Player, as i don't have a samsung phone around.
    I can add some logging which should help finding the actual problem.

Pictures: does not work yet (I do not see a picture), but: the infobar says out&id=xx and on Android I get the respective jpg highlighted in blue. When I jump from
    picture to picture in Allshare, I always get a different ID on the screen, but no picture...

Pictures are not (yet) implemented.
    I will add a better player for video/audio which will allow more control using the dreambox rcu.

Thanks a lot for you testing and your nice report!

• Hi reichi

Is there a rough schedule for release of this dlna renderer (i think. oe2.0 itself is only beta now). Is there a release date planned for oe2.0 ?
    To my understanding oe2.0 is the new over all OS basis for dreamboxes and delivered by DMM, is that correct ?

When does it make sense to continue testing ? Would it be possible that you update this thread as soon as there is something new to test ?
    I assume i would get that from the feed on dreamboxupdate.com, is that correct ?

I am excited about the idea to add some tracing functionality to make this work with allshare. All modern Samsung phones (and they are a big - if not the biggest- player in the market) contain allshare and it would really make sense to have that working. Can you give feedback here also ?

And do you have an idea when a first version of the picture viewer will be available ? a week, a month, ?

Of cause i can also try some other similar clients like imediashare or twonky...

Bye the way : do you know what's the difference then between standard dlna and apple airplay ? To me the user experience looks pretty
    Equal, there most be (minor ?) differences in the protocol. Do you know more ? XBMC for example also has added airplay Support.

Kind regards

Thommythekid

• Offizieller Beitrag

The differences in the technical implementation of upnp mediarenderers and apples airplay are somewhat more than minor (though in the end it boils down to almost the same stuff you need when the protocol itself is working).
    UPnP is overall way more complex than apples airplay.
    The main issue is that AirPlay is not an open Standard and implementing it somewhat violates the copyright and "whatnot else" of apple. Especially as you would need apples private key to implement audio streaming properly.

UPnP is an publicy available Standard. With python-coherence there's also a mor or less complete python framework which does almost all the protocol-specific stuff, so all we have to do is "use it" (which is still less trivial than it may sound).

I'll drop a note here when I have added new stuff to the demo renderer.

• Hi Reichi,

I understand your comments to "Apple Airplay" and my opinion is also:
    IF THE OPEN STANDARD DLNA WOULD BE SUPPORTED BY DREAMBOXES THAT WOULD BE A KILLER FEATURE AND AIRPLAY IS NOT NEEDED ANY MORE.

I realized that you did not answer to the questions regarding my general question -

"who is the owner of OE2.0 ?" and
    "are there any plans in terms of schedule ?"

I understand that you may not give commitments here but it would be interesting for me to get a rough idea if we'll have to wait months or even longer,
    or what you be (roughly) the timeframe for something additional to test ?

Earlier in this thread it also looked like HOMEY works together with Dream Multimedia here.
    Is this a correct interpretation or not ? May it be that several people are working on the same thing separately ?

kind regards

ThommyTheKid

• I also think the free and open DLNA/UPNP standard is more preferable than the proprietary Apple Airplay. So thanks to Reichi for taking on the task of implementing it :smiling_face:

While I am not Reichi, I might be able to help you with a couple of your questions:
    OE 2.0 is developed by Dream Multimedia.
    I don't think you will get any kind of schedule or expected date of arrival. It's done when it's done.
    Reichi is a DMM developer as of late, Homey has - as far as I know - no business relations with DMM. He is a third party developer.

• Hi,
    I have upgraded my hardware environment a little bit - i bought a wlan n router to increase the throughput
    Of beaming media to the upnp renderer.
    While i see the airplay symbol of the airplayer plugin in the same manner than before - and i realized an increased
    Responsiveness of the plugin due to increased network throughput, i do have problems now with the upnp demo renderer
    Of oe2.0 ! I do not see it any more, e.g. In my allshare (that worked perfectly for music ) or in doubletwist that worked for videos.
    How do i verify that the demorenderer is running ? Is there something special to setup in the router ?
    Of cause the dreambox and the mobil devices i want to stream from are in one network segment.

Can anybody help ?

Kind regards
    Thommythekid

• Hi again,

I solved it myself. I think it was a problem in my network setup, that prevented broadcasts to
    go everywhere. I have a special setup with 2 routers... But i got it working now.

Some additional feedback:

I have now tested video and audio and it really works pretty brilliant.
    The wlan n is much faster and so i have a real great reaction behavior
    Even when I scrub during the playback.( in audio and video !!)

I also found that bubbleupnp is really great ! Much better and more intuitive than doubletwist.
    And its a server as well as a cpntroller as well as a renderer.
    I even got recorded full hd videos from the mini-dlna on the dreambox streamed over my Samsung galaxy w
    To the renderer ( inside the dreambox again) and then to the TV ! Works great ! No hangs ! Everything
    Smooth...

One remark to the situation when you stop streaming (inside the app on the phone) either by
    Pressing stop or leaving the app. I have observed that the screen freezes and the buttons "exit" and "stop"
    On the dream remote do not work here. I can manage this situation by switching to another channel, but
    I think it would be most intuitive when the player would stop automatically ( switch back to tv) or even
    The "exit" button would work.

I am looking forward to see picture playback in the next version... As with bubbleupnp almost everything else
    works pretty fine. One question here: the developer of the airplayer plugin mentioned in a post, that pictures
    Can only be displayed with 1280*720 pixels (what would be a little disappointing) because also the HD skins only
    offer that limited resolution. Is that also true for your implementation approach, Reichi ?

May i kindly also ask if it is possible to use the orientation information of the jpg picture (some bits in the headers),
    as rotating seems not to be possible ( i don't know any app that offers rotating the pictures during display)

Ok, so far for now...

Kind regards

Thommythekid

• Hi Reichi,

I think I got a better picture now of what happened when I had problems to see the UPBP renderer on the network.

Think of this: When the dreambox is started from deep standby, there is no network connection available.
    While the box is in standby, the network switch is powered on. I observed, that the network on the dream
    does not detect that and so it does not request a lease from the DHCP server. When I restart the network
    on the dreambox, I get an IP but the upnp renderer still is not visible.
    I assume, that the renderer performs something like a broadcast at startup, but if the network is available
    only some some later, there is a problem...

So: How can I restart the UPNP renderer without restarting the complete box ?
    How can I see if the renderer is running ?

kind regards
    ThommyTheKid