Support for HE-AAC LATM Audio???

• Hello

In New Zealand for the DVB-T terrestrial FTA Broadcasts the government has decided to use the latest audio and video compression. They use MPEG4 H.264 Video, and HE-AAC LATM Audio compression.

I have had a friend try pre-recorded TS files on his new DM800 before I purchased one, and it seems that there isn't support for the Audio Compression format from within the DM800 firmware or drivers.

You can view example recordings (which is what my friend also tested) from here:

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/Fossie/4877

The TV3 is the best sample to test against as it is being broadcast in 1080i, also worth testing the TVONE and TVNZ7 as well for the 720p.

But the picture is not an issue since the DM happily plays the video, just no sound.

Is there an expected time that support for HE-AAC audio will be added into the drivers or firmware?

• maybe you should better open a support ticket. dmm newer answers to threads in here, this is a 100% customer forum (that's what i've heard)

1x dm7020Si 100GB 1x dm800 200GB 1x dm600 100GB 1x dm500c

• Dream wrote on my request:
    "die Umstellung von MPEG2 Mux auf Mpeg4 hat mit dem DVB-T Tuner nichts zu tun.
    Wichtig ist, dass die Dreambox in die der DVB-T Tuner eingebaut wird, MPEG4
    Decoding kann.
    Dies würde mit der Dm8000 dann zwar funktionieren, allerdings Ihnen nicht viel
    nützen, da die DM8000 (wie keine unserer Boxen) den AAC Audiostream
    wiedergeben kann.
    AAC wird leider nicht unterstützt.
    Ob und inwiefern es da in Zukunft noch Updates gibt kann ich Ihnen leider
    nicht sagen, da mir hierzu keine Informationen vorliegen.

Vielen Dank für Ihre Anfrage und Ihr Interesse an unseren Produkten."

------------------

In short: (HE-)AAC is not supported on any Dream Box (HD). The technical support cannot say whether this will ever be supported in future updates.

My conclusion: I will save my 1000 EUR until an update is available. Eventually, I will simply look out for another solution. I had realy hoped, that this close to perfect box would have solved all my TV-watching (DVB-S2, DVB-T) and PVR (Simultaneous recording of several programs) issues. Unfortunately it will not...

:frowning_face: :angry_face: :confused_face: :pinch: :wacko: :smiling_face_with_horns: etc...

• Dear Ghost,

According to a mail from your support team, that I received on thursday last week (2009-04-16), neither DM 8000 nor DM 800 supports HE-AAC.

Furthermore on Dream Multimedias Homepage (http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/dm8000/) the software release is from 2008-12-10. The support for HE-AAC added in January 2009 seems not to have been released yet.

Is it possible to get this softwareversion somehow?
    And can you somehow "guarantee", that DM 8000 supports HE-AAC? It would be realy anoying buying this device if it is not capable of playing any sound on danish tv.

Thank you very much in advise.

Best regards
    Anders Degn

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you could provide a recorded file with this codec we could give it a try.
    But I would really trust Ghost here, he's the developer of this stuff, he knows things!

Grüße,
    Olove

"All we need to do ... is keep talking (Stephen Hawking)"

Ich leiste KEINEN Support per PN/E-Mail, derartige Anfragen werden nicht beantwortet.
    I won't give support via PN/E-Mail and I won't answer such messages.