CAM's, CI's, smartcards ?

• DM7000 : Enigma 1 : 1.08

There are various issues and terminology that I have yet to understand and I have no wish to invite the moderators involvement by approaching subjects against the board rules, but, given the image I am about to flash (1.09) :-

I have not yet figured out how to interpret what is meant by CAM, CI and smartcard. Obviously I know what a smartcard is and I know what the initials CAM and CI stand for but there is some ambiguity in my mind about what authors mean when they use these terms. Bearing in mind the rules and therefore assuming these 'devices' are physical, what form difference is there (CAM, CI, smartcard) ?

How does a newbie learn where the legal/commercial boundaries are without some discussion of the terminology/technology ?

Is it necessary (avoiding contentious material) to use a PCMCIA CAM (appropriate to the service) with all service smartcards ?

Are the DM700 built-in smartcard slots an unused feature in this respect ?

If the smartcard slots are active then what services (encryption systems) are they compatible with ? (I'm assuming this will be a short list !)

As an example, I have subscribed to, and have a smartcard for a service encrypted using ViAccess. Do I also have to purchase a ViAccess PCMCIA CAM to use this card ? In either case, is there any configuration to do ?

Sorry for another lengthy post !

Thanks

• The internal ci-slots of the dreambox do only support smartcards with the encryption system dreamcrypt. for all other encryption systems you need a module that you insert into the pcmcia-like slot.

Gruss
    Dre

Boxen (im Einsatz): DM920, DM900, DMOne
    Developer Project Merlin - we are OpenSource

• Thanks Dre

Assuming your statement is 100% correct then 2 questions arise :-

1, Isn't it a bit short sighted of DM to provide 2 smartcard slots which are only capable of interacting with DreamCrypt ? Perhaps it is necessary to consider competing images in order to achieve greater versatility !

2. What services, if any, use the DreamCrypt encryption system ?

Another question that occurs to me and which is only marginally related :-

Is there a list anywhere of encryption systems and the services they serve ? This might be useful in terms of making an economical purchasing decision. I suppose it might be possible to laboriously compile one from Lyngsat.

Regards

• Zitat

Original von deejayw
    Isn't it a bit short sighted of DM to provide 2 smartcard slots which are only capable of interacting with DreamCrypt ? Perhaps it is necessary to consider competing images in order to achieve greater versatility !

DMM do not get any encryption licences for the readers because of running Linux on their Hardware at the moment - they can not buy them.

we are glad that hardwaredesign has a spare cardreader - maybe DMM get some licences in Future :grinning_squinting_face: