should I wait for the 8000?

• Hi,

Presently I'm in the market for aquiring a Dreambox. As my TV is not as HD TV yet (for some years to come) I'm still believing that waiting for the 8000 is the best strategy as I'm assuming that this device will also allow viewing/recording non-HD channels. It would be perfect if someone could spend some time on answering this as "money can be spent only once" so a misstake is costly.

Thanks in advance

Piet

p.s.I do fully understand German also.

• Zitat

Presently I'm in the market for aquiring a Dreambox. As my TV is not as HD TV yet (for some years to come) I'm still believing that waiting for the 8000 is the best strategy as I'm assuming that this device will also allow viewing/recording non-HD channels. It would be perfect if someone could spend some time on answering this as "money can be spent only once" so a misstake is costly.

It depends where you live and what you channels you want to watch.

If you can receive UK TV, then waiting for the 8000 might make sense so you can watch the free BBC HD channel on your normal TV once it starts. If you live in Scandinavia, you might want to add one DVB-T tuner to get the Danish channels and still have two DVB-S tuners. The 7025 "only" has two tuners - which should be OK in most cases. Also you might like the WLAN built into the 8000.

But: You can buy a 7025 now and enjoy it this winter. Life is short after all. As dreamboxes have a good resale-value on ebay, you can always sell it if you decide to go for HTDV later.

• digi_casi and Almos,

Thanks very much for your answers. As a dutchman, I do watch (and understand) dutch, english and german TV so it seems to be a logic step to just wait for the 8000. I considered a model 500 for the time being but learned that it could not manage the discmotor due to currect limitations. It is however possible that I will buy it and chain it to the existing FTA reciever so I can learn to apply my unix skills soon.

thanks!
    Piet

• If you'll only use Sat, then i'd recommend you to buy the 7025. 2 Tuners should be enough and the main features that will distinguish the 8000 from the old dreamboxes are mpeg4 and dvb-s2 capability, which require at least a hd-ready TV to make sense :winking_face:

• Zitat

Originally posted by dcdead
    If you'll only use Sat, then i'd recommend you to buy the 7025. 2 Tuners should be enough and the main features that will distinguish the 8000 from the old dreamboxes are mpeg4 and dvb-s2 capability, which require at least a hd-ready TV to make sense :winking_face:

dcdead,

I've discussed this also with a friend of mine working for Philips development here in the netherlands lastnight. His verdict (I agree with) is that:

It takes my TV another 4-5 years before candidate for replacement.
    The HD. 4-5 years from technology wise there could be some real changes in offerings.

HD today is rather sparse. When on offer the cost producing HD is very high as both equipment and bandwidth are pushed to the limit making subscribtion fees high.
    So, you guys are correct. I will aquire a 7025 soon and be part of growing Dreambox family!

Piet