Why should I get the DM7080HD?

• Hi,

Sorry for the English post, but I'm hoping some of you might be able to answer a few questions about the DM7080. This forum seemed to be the biggest collection of users.

I would like to get a Linux-based satellite receiver for watching the Freesat channels in the UK. This will be my first Linux receiver, I have been researching them, but I am still very new to this area.

I want the following features:
    - fast interface
    - reliable watching and recording of Freesat channels
    - able to also watch Kartina IPTV service
    - good hardware for future software updates

I have chosen either the DM7080HD or the Vu+ Duo2. They both have very similar specs and seem to be the fastest machines available at the moment.

I prefer the physical look of the DM7080 as I think the LCD on the Duo2 is distracting, but so far I have only seen the photos and Youtube videos of the DM7080. There doesn't seem to be much English support information for the DM7080, and in the forums it looked like people were having lots of issues with the new machine and some of the advertised features are not working yet.

What do you DM enthusiasts really think of the DM7080? Is it reliable? Is it well built? Why should I pay the extra to get the DM7080 over the Duo2?
    I have not used either of them so I am very interested in your expert opinions.

Does anyone here have any experience of watching the Kartina IPTV service on the DM7080? Is there a plugin available? I did see some mentions of a Kartina plugin for "enigma2" but I do not know if this will run on the DM7080 or if it will need a new version specifically for the DM7080.

In the specs it mentions the DM7080 supports a 3.5" HDD, does anyone know if there are also mounting holes for a 2.5" HDD or is it really only a 3.5" HDD?

Many thanks for any help and opinions,

Charles

Receivers: DM7080 HD (Astra 28.2E)

• Hi Charles,

I recently bought a DB 7080 and I must say I was a bit disappointed. I´ve had a 7025 for almost 10 years and I´ve been extremely satisfied with it.

Being a satellite enthusiast - for mora than twenty years - I have 7-8 receivers, including a VU+. But none has been as good as the DB7025. I was therefore looking forward to the DB7080.

On the positive side, the hardware is really impressing, it looks very good built. The software that came with the unit was experimental, and it hung all the time. Switch off and restart. It starts extremely fast, the fastest of any Unix receiver I´ve had. After reloading a new version of the software - it was difficult to find out how, but it worked quite well - it seems to work all right.

There is however one great drawback - it doesn´t at present support Freesat EPG. That will certainly come, but not necessarily in a hurry because Dreambox does not Believe in open source any more, so you have to rely on their releases. If I had known that I would have thought twice before buying it.

And yes, it has mounting holes for 2.5" disks. I have one myself.

As for manuals, there is officially only a german manual. There is however an english manual at http://www.dream-multimedia-tv…/dm7080hd_user_manual.pdf

Rgds/Dalf

• Nonsense. Both open sorce EPG solutions XMLTV and OpenTV are now available for DreamOS giving full UK EPG

• I did buy the 7080 as an upgrade for my dm8000.

I must say, im disappointed.

Its fast yes, very fast.and use less power= quiet

But that is only upgrade over my dm8000.

Many Things still don't Work.

main reason i did buy the dm7080 over the vu+duo2 was the hdmi in/out, but it doesn't Work.
    the dlna server does not Work, it will surly over time.
    recording timer, not stable, software issue, that will be fixed over time

I just think they should have waited 6 month to release the dm7080, then maybe it would work as supposed .

if I could do things over, I would have sticked with my dm8000, im sorry I sold the dm8000.

DM8000hd , DM800hd , DM7080

• Since I have my 7080 I did 280 Recordings as I started with a fresh 2TB harddisk and none of them failed.

• I've just bought a DM7080 to replace my DM8000 and, while some things like the GigE interface are a huge improvement, I'm also disappointed about the state of the new OE2.2 software.

The biggest problem I'm having right now is that recordings to the internal harddisk don't seem to be given high enough priority over other processes. (Or there is less I/O buffering than on the DM8000 so the system can't absorb interruptions.) I'm finding at the moment that ANY activity on the box while a recording is in progress (even the start of another timer recording) causes a corruption in the .ts file of about 2 seconds of the recording in progress. This is unacceptable and never happened on my DM8000 (or indeed my old DM7025).

Gutemine's OpenTV plugin works well as a FreeSAT EPG solution. It's a lot slower than OE2.0 solutions such as CrossEPG (I assume because of changes DMM have made to the EPG database - Gutemine can no doubt correct me on this!) but that's not really a problem - you can just set it up to run overnight.

wavelet

• Which software are you running on the DM7080? There was an issue with freezes in recordings, but they should be fixed with one of the previous updates.

More precisely it should been fixed latest with the update from the 13th March (enigma2 4.2.1r18 ) : http://git.opendreambox.org/?p…195e7a8929e16ff8b4e29e3b2
    [quote]- fixed possible "rave record buffer overflow" messages which can cause block artifacts in recordings[/code]

so long
    m0rphU

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von m0rphU ()

• I did a software update last Tuesday and I'm running 4.2.2r1 (10th April). The problem isn't really blocking artifacts, rather a whole 2 seconds or so missing from both the video and the audio streams in the .ts file.

I would to run some more tests, perhaps with a new, empty hard drive, to confirm the problem. (The hdd in my DM7080 used to be in my DM8000 - I swapped it over without any re-formatting.) Unfortunately, I shall be travelling in Germany the rest of this week, so this will have to wait.

• I can't say that I have seen this issue myself. I am using a HDD freshly formatted for my DM7080, if it makes any difference.

I have seen the following issues though:
    - Sometimes, when watching a recording, the UI freezes with the spinning gears in the corner of the screen. The playback continues perfectly but the remote control is useless until the spinning stops.
    - Sometimes it boots up with no network interface. The network screen is empty. I have to keep rebooting until it eventually gets a network interface. I am using ethernet connection. I need this because I like to have email notifications when a recording finishes and when there are updates available.

These are my 2 biggest issues so far, however basic recording and playback seems to work well.

Receivers: DM7080 HD (Astra 28.2E)

• A quick update: I have not been able to reproduce my issue with a new empty hard drive in the DM7080. There are a number of differences between the new drive I used and the one swapped over from my DM8000:
    New Drive:
    - Western Digital, 160GB, empty
    - DM7080 initialises it to a ext4 partition
    - 7200rpm, 8MB cache, 300 Mbps transfer rate
    Ex-DM8000 Drive:
    - Seagate, 2TB, 95% full
    - ext3 partition
    - 5900rpm, 64MB cache, 144 Mbps transfer rate
    I doubt I'm going to find the time to narrow the problem down any further. I'll probably just buy a new drive for the DM7080.
    wavelet

• - Sometimes it boots up with no network interface. The network screen is empty. I have to keep rebooting until it eventually gets a network interface. I am using ethernet connection. I need this because I like to have email notifications when a recording finishes and when there are updates available.

try to use manual IPv4 and switch off the IPv6 address, it helped in my case.

regards

PiGeon

DM920
    Unstable image - always uptodate