Video Enhancement problem

• Hi all,

When i use the 1.6 version i've a problem using the scaler sharpness. This doesn't work on 576i anymore, but when i change it to 720p (on SD channels) it works just fine. Is this a bug in version 1.6. I never had this problem on version 1.5

Thanks in advance for your kind answer.

NSR

• Offizieller Beitrag

How is your video output configured?
    Are you using autoresolution?
    Which box are you using?

If so (and if you are putting out everything as it "comes in" (576i -> 576i) then this is no bug.

In fact, it was a bug before which has been fixed.
    Before, the scaler sharpness worked also, when nothing was scaled which is not quite correct.

Now the sharpness os only applied if the video resolution is actually changed by the dreambox (576i -> 720p/1080i etc.).
    If it's unchanged, nothing will be "sharpened".
    If you don't like the result, you should use your TVs sharpness settings.

To make it clear, this function (at the DM800) is a pure "scaler sharpness" to control the sharpness of the video scaler, NOT a general sharpness setup.
    The DM500HD and DM8000 do have a general "sharpness" setting when you install the enhanced video setup plugin. This is not available to the DM800 due to hardware restrictions.

Grüße,
    Olove

"All we need to do ... is keep talking (Stephen Hawking)"

Ich leiste KEINEN Support per PN/E-Mail, derartige Anfragen werden nicht beantwortet.
    I won't give support via PN/E-Mail and I won't answer such messages.

• No, this is not a bug, but a bugfix. If you give 576i to your TV natively, then there is no scaler.
    If there is no scaler, then the scaler sharpness should not do anything.

This was broken in 1.5 branch for a long time (has been fixed there as well some time ago).

So: Now it works as designed. To set sharpness for 576i you have to install the advanced video settings plugin...

Best regards
    Tode

• I have a DreamBox DM8000 with experimental image.

Before when i used the autoresolution plugin to keep the SD screens to 576i, no to upscale to 720p because the best way to show is the original format, upscaling does not keep the picture in proportions. But when i used the scaler sharpness before (1.5 images) in 576i it worked just fine, but now with the new 1.6 images, the scaler sharpness only works with 720p and 1080i, but not with 576i anymore. Strange but true, i guess that's a bug which needs to be fixed ???

If this is a bug-fix it is not a usefull one :smiling_face:

What kind of plugin is it where you are talking about? (Advanced Video Plugin) I cannot find such plugin anywhere (Only Video Enhancement and Autoresulution).

I made some screenshots from my settings:

• again: If you set 576i to output in 576i then the scaler is not used.
    That scaler sharpness DID change something in the older images was a BUG. This bug was fixed by the developers.

Now you have to use the Video Enhancement plugin (sorry, did not remember the correct name) to set the sharpness (without scaler) to achieve the same.

I know, that this bug was very convenient for some users (we had a LONG discussion about that some time ago in this forum in german), but nevertheless it was a bug.
    And other users complained, why the dreambox changes the picture, applying the scaler sharpness, although they had chosen to output everything in the native mode.

Regards
    Tode

• Okay thanks for this explanation.

But when i use output 1080i from a 1080i picture or 720p idem, the sharpness scaler should also not be used, but this is used, this works just fine for me.

When i use 576i output the picture is just not right. I have to sharpness this otherwise my picture is fuzzy.

If this is used to work like this it's fine with me, but i guessed this was a bug. The 1.5 works for me, the 1.6 not. I'll wait of anyone encounters the same problems.

It was usefull to sharpness the picture on 576i with this function.

Thanks again for your explanation.

Regards,

NSR

• And with your story, 576i > 576i doesn't wok (True) [This means no scaling]

but 720p > 720p shouldn't work either because you're not scaling up or down, same with 1080i > 1080i [no scaling as well]. But here you can use scaler sharpness well ?? :upside_down_face:

But again, no problems :smiling_face:

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von NSR ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,

no.. you are wrong.. the scaler sharpness only works, when the input resolution isnt exactly the output resolution (thus when the scaler must do anything).

When you show a tv service which is broadcasted witch 1280x720 and you put out 1080i.. then it works.. and vice versa. Or when you put out 720p and you just look a SD service..

cu