Dreambox or MythTV + DVB-S?

• I am considering DMM 800 PVR, but reading all about the hardware/software issues is disappointing.

Now I would like to know if I purchase a good quality PC with MythTV and a good DVB-S card, what is the pros and cons?

DM 800 PVR:
    No wifi
    No DVD drive
    No internal HDD
    Only two USB ports
    All-in-one but limited processor power and memory
    Hiigh definition
    Software and hardware bugs?

MythTV + DVB-S:
    Full-blown and powerful PC
    Complete play-back for DivX, MPEG, etc.
    DVD/BR
    High definition?
    [MODERATOR]Violating Boardrules![/MODERATOR]
    Need a good compatible DVB-S card
    Need a good compatible video card
    Open source

Thank you very much for inputs, opinions, recommendations, warnings,
    Seff

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Reichi ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

DM800:

Wifi via usb 2.0 possible
    same for DVD
    The PVR stands vor "Personal Video Recorder".... you can build every 2.5" sata hdd into a DM800.
    Most bugs are fixed now... especially the "HD-Hangup" Bug...

Surprise Surprise, you're asking for Keys which is an absolute NO-GO here!!!
    A DM800 takes about ~25-30W or so in full use, your pc will take about 3-5times as much....

mfg ,
    Reichi

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Reichi ()

• I have my Dreambox, AND a PC running Ubuntu + Mythtv + xbmc to watch my avi and mkv movies.

I don't like mythtv +dvbs! Switching channels take a LOOONG time (+-4 secs)
    (timeshift enabled by default, not possible to disable).
    Configuring Diseqc in mythtv is not so easy!!

Try vdr if you really want to use your dvb card with your pc, but i still prefer my Dreambox !!

• Thanks for your replies.

I will check with my friends who have DVB-S cards how fast the switch is and how to mitigate it.

The power consumption is not that bad if taking into account shutting down and booting up the system when needed. Now, with more information and having read the forums, I am decided for Ubuntu + MythTV.

I respect Dreambox Multimedia for their work, however, I would rather expect the system to be more open, tuned, stable, and way more powerful. The performance of the CPU, memory and solid-state disk isn't something I would jump on. The heating problem is really discouraging, especially if you have little children. If I am to pay big bucks for the product, I want to have it perfect and yet open to extensions. Something like Asus routers (e.g. WL-500g Premium).

I would welcome a ready-made appliance packaged with a good processor, memory and solid-state disk running MythTV with Dreambox extensions. This would be my dream, working out-of-the-box.

Best regards,
    Seff

• Zitat

Originally posted by seff
    I am considering DMM 800 PVR, but reading all about the hardware/software issues is disappointing.

You are making very common mistake.

Consider this:
    The forum of a hardware manufacturer is most often used to report problems and search solutions. If 10,000 people buy some new model electronic equipment, and 1% of them are not satisfied with the product - this 1% customers go to the forum and report the problem. The other 99% happy customers don't bother to register, and to post how happy are with the product. They just use it.
    So, you read the forum, and see the 100's complaints about the product, but not the positive opinions.

To put it short:
    If you wonder between Dreambox 800 PVR and MythTV+PCI card, choose DM8000 :grinning_squinting_face: :face_with_tongue:

I decided to buy Dreambox when I heard about the clones and copycats. No one will copy bad product...

"Good things come to those, who wait."

• So following your logic you're suggesting:

- that Dream Multimedia is installing proper cooling for the MPEG decoder on 99% of their DM800s and fail to do this on the remaining 1%?
    - that Dream Multimedia is using a board layout with proper CPU reset logic on 99% of their DM800 and use another faulty board layout on the remaining 1%?

And where do you see the clones of DM800?

• No.
    My point is, not to judge some new electronic product only by the negative opinions in the forums.

The software problems in DM800 are fixed, as I read in the forum. Obviously, the overheating problem can't be fixed with software patch. But I don't think DM800 is plagued product. (Judging by the posts here. Never owned one.)

I have a rule:
    Never to buy the latest and greatest electronic gizmo in the first 6 months after it hits the stores! (Too many bugs, etc.)

Unfortunately, this Christmas I will have to break this rule, and buy one of the first DM8000's. (My old receiver died recently [not DM brand] and I think DM8000 will be the best for a long time.)
    Let's hope, there will be no serious software bugs, power or overheating problems. :smiling_face_with_sunglasses:
    For €999 it have to be "top of the line" flagship. Any serious hardware problem, and Dm8000 will become a grave danger for DreamMultimedia.
    I am sure this is the reason for the delays: Perfectionism.

Sorry for the offtopic.

"Good things come to those, who wait."