Feature request for Enigma

• Hi there,

I am writing a plugin for subtitles for using with the dreambox (gSUB). When doing this I need to get hold of some status from Enigma, i.e. what PIDs are used, is there an ongoing recording, are we in file mode, etc. Today, I am using the WebIF and specifically the /cgi-bin/status request to collect this information.

This is working very well in almost all cases. I am normally asking this question every 2 seconds to see if something has changed, i.e polling every 2 seconds.

However, there is a problem when using a dm500 model and recording to a network disk at the same time. If I am polling through WebIF while recording the recording gets corrupted... I have tested with writing a script (.sh file) where I only do a while loop with a "sleep 2" and a "wget ...." to this status page. If I start recording while this is running, I also end up with corrupted recordings. So, it seems like the 500 box cannot handle web requests while recording...probably due to the lack of CPU power???

Anyway, my idea was that you maybe could create a file like "/tmp/.enigma_status" with all this information that many plugins use and we could poll status from disk instead of poll through the network stack.

Or, is there any other way to get information out from Enigma?

Please help/advice...

/Gruffy

-o)
    /\\ Message void if penguin violated
    _\_V Don't mess with the penguin

• Hi there,

The problem is that gSUB is a stand-alone program running as a separate process so I cannot link into Enigma. It is working like bullz_text if you have seen that...i.e. one "subtitle app" and one "subtitle app config plugin".

So that is not possible, at least to my knowledge.

/Gruffy

-o)

• How do you start your "gSUB" ? I think you start this as a daemon with the help from a small Enigma-plugin as a Shellstarter ? If no, this would be a good idea, because. This "starter"-plugin (quick, small, easy) will be linked against enigma, so you can access the params you need and write the status-file by yourself.

• Hi agian,

First, thank you all for quick answers! Very nice to see such an active community.

Well, I can start the gSUB through the plugin, i.e. "Restart" and "Killl" and such things from inside the plugin. But, normally you would like to have the "stand alone" program to start without need for user to interact. So what is done today, is to have the linux init scripts start it.

Yes, I could write the status file myself, but the problem is that this status is needed all the time. For example if the user changes the channel I need to know so that I can restart my PID filters and such things to decode new subtitles.

Is it possible to write a plugin inside Enigma that can be autostarted (maybe one could autostart it with use of wget in an initscript???) and then fork it to stay around and write this file to /tmp with a good interval???

With this, I mean that I am writing a "silent no GUI" plugin that just forkes off and is staying around and writing this /tmp file???

Hrm..this might be a way to do it... I will investigate and come back here if I find something out.

/Gruffy

-o)