Can't tune brand new DM7080 - HELP!

• Hi, Need help in New Zealand ! Brand new DM7080HD and I can't use it because I can't find/tune in any Asia/Pacific satellites. There is none in the machines pre-programmed list! Can't use new machine :frowning_face: Have Googled for hours and can't find how to do it. Have found a web page that lists all Earths satellites refer this link: http://satellites-xml.eu/ and tried downloading OPTUS D1 & OPTUS D2 .xlm file and tried the .ini file too. I put each on to a new memory stick (USB) and then put in to usb of machine but machine won't recognise anything - says 'no files found'. Can someone help my family and I to find/programme machine to receive satellites. A list of NZ's frequencies/satelliates is here: http://www.lyngsat.com/Optus-D1.html We need Optus D1, Optus D2 satellites on Ku-band. We need to get DM7080 machine to scan for them. (Have connected machine to WiFi and got current updates but it doesn't help). Thankyou so much if you can help. Kind regards, Kiwi_needs_help :smiling_face:

• Installing a satellites.xml file containing your satellites should do the trick. But you need to transfer it via LAN/WiFi or from USB via Telnet. But the transfer via LAN/WiFi should be much easier

So take the xml file you already created and copy it via FTP to the Dreambox in the directory /etc/tuxbox/ Then reboot the Box and try to set up the tuner correctly.
    You can also take a look at the tool DreamboxEdit. I think it also offers updating the satellites.xml file.

so long
    m0rphU

• Thankyou to mOrphU. I have followed your advice and I am half way there. I am still missing some channels but it is better than having no channels which is where I started. I appreciate your help. I have spent time most days trying to fix and will eventually get it sorted, I hope?! I have found the Dream Box Control Centre software DCC E2 v1.50 by BernyR worked to FTP the .xml files from computer to DreamBox. Others may work but the one mentioned happened to work for me first. Very important was mOrphU's advice on where to put the satellite.xml file. Under /etc/tuxbox I couldn't have done it without mOrphU's advice. I have read and re-read his advice very carefully because each word he says is extremely important.
    I also found I had to do a 'Blind Scan' on Dreambox to find satellite transponders. Patience was important because blindscan took over 1/2 hour. A necessay step.
    Unfortunately I am dissapointed with HD Satshop e.K. where I ordered the Dreambox from (via internet). It took 2 emails asking for help before all I got was a link to this forum. There was no 'hello' 'sorry to hear of your troubles' etc. Just a link. I had to say in my email I may return the machine for a refund which eventually got 'link only' response. I still reserve the right to return it to them if another 30 hours struggling to tune doesn't work completely. Why they would send out a machine to the Pacific region without Pacific satellites loaded on to Dreambox is a mystery. In fact all the satellites around the world should be loaded into machine becuase the 2/3rds of satellite files missing is actually very small data compared to the enormous power and data storage the dreambox has. Thankyou to the world of forums. You provide service where others don't. Bless you all.

• Unfortunately I am dissapointed with HD Satshop e.K. where I ordered the Dreambox from (via internet). It took 2 emails asking for help before all I got was a link to this forum. There was no 'hello' 'sorry to hear of your troubles' etc. Just a link. I had to say in my email I may return the machine for a refund which eventually got 'link only' response. I still reserve the right to return it to them if another 30 hours struggling to tune doesn't work completely. Why they would send out a machine to the Pacific region without Pacific satellites loaded on to Dreambox is a mystery. In fact all the satellites around the world should be loaded into machine becuase the 2/3rds of satellite files missing is actually very small data compared to the enormous power and data storage the dreambox has. Thankyou to the world of forums. You provide service where others don't. Bless you all.

I agree with you it would be a good thing to have a sattellite.xml for the whole world. But I don't think many Dreamboxes get sold in those regions. And there's not only satellite tv. Should the Dreambox also contain cable.xml for every cable network in the world?
    Anyway, in the end it's certainly not the job of an online shop to update your box or even to check if it works in your region. Maybe you want a Dreabox to stream IP TV? Should they refuse to sell a box that they think it might now work for you?
    If you buy online in a foreign country it's your job to check what you're buying.
    Regards

• Hi

Than why you don´t click the Link dreamer-fit posted above?
    there you can choose every region you want to create a sat.xml
    as well for the asia-south pacific region :winking_face:
    or any other sat you want to have.
    I have done it for you and have selected the asia-south pacific region
    have a look at this .xml may this one helps to solve your issues.

• I agree with you it would be a good thing to have a sattellite.xml for the whole world. But I don't think many Dreamboxes get sold in those regions. And there's not only satellite tv. Should the Dreambox also contain cable.xml for every cable network in the world?
    Anyway, in the end it's certainly not the job of an online shop to update your box or even to check if it works in your region. Maybe you want a Dreabox to stream IP TV? Should they refuse to sell a box that they think it might now work for you?
    If you buy online in a foreign country it's your job to check what you're buying.
    Regards

Hi sirdir, yes I did check into whether or not it would work in my country and yes the receiver's frequency response range was so big it did include all the frequencies transmitted here. I was just surprised such a beautiful and powerful machine couldn't 'plug, scan, and tune' so to speak the satellites in this half of the world. The shop could have warned it wouldn't 'tune' satellites other than European - before selling it to me aswell. I guess they know now when orders come from around the world. I hope the developers of the Dreambox receivers read this and think about simply loading the rest of the satellite files onto the hard drive - then it would likely increase sales for them to hundreds of millions of people around the world. If people in 2/3 rds of the world read this and learn their satellites are not included in Dreambox machines satellite list they may be put off buying one so I hope the developers add to this forum one day saying that 'all machines now come with the balance of satellite files added'. As for your comment on cable TV... they don't need to load those too. 95% of people here and in Australia don't have cable! Also, there are only about 5 cable providers in Australia and 1 in New Zealand - not that many. So cable would be easy to load afterall!? I think you'll find most people on this half of the world don't even have Cable let alone IP TV (what ever that is)... only Satellite or Terrestial TV's. Huge market so ignoring Cable and just adding all Satellites is enough of a 'step up' in service by Dreambox for now and years to come. As mentioned before, all satellites data is in very small files I found out. Machine can handle it easily. Scanning them can be limited to areas living in by the consumer when they go through set-up wizard to save tuning time if that's is the reason why they're not all loaded in there.

Also. if the developers of Dreambox were after more sales they could also provide -'instructions on how to tune it yourself' in the box, should a cable or satellite be missing. Even at a minimum... an easy to find, dedicated web site listing all the steps to tuning would be helpful, instead of getting forums to do the work for them? Programming the Dreambox is really difficult if you don't know how. (But easy if you do - so thanks to those who do know how and for sharing and being patient with those who are struggling to program the Dreambox).

My experience was... I had to: 1.find the correct satellite files for my country on line (thanks for satellite list by the way, to Monza42) then 2. learn how to set up Wifi on Dreambox and 'link' it to my computer. 3.find file transfer software. 4.use FTP software to transfer files. 5. put Satellite .xml file deep into exactly the right spot on Dreamboxes hard drive. 6. back-up Dreambox. 7. find features and set to run 'blind scan' on Dreambox. Wait 40 mins 8. Sort boquets and favourites and organise channel list and.... you get the picture. Easy if you do it often (as the developers do) but impossible for normal customers. And I may have left out some steps!? DiSesq 'Off'. Tone 'Off'. Voltage boost 'on' and a few more - it's a bit like a bicycles combination padlock... get one thing wrong and it won't unlock or work! You won't be riding your bike!

But you get the picture. It's such a shame because I think the Dreambox is maybe the best Receiver in the world? A Wiki table showed me the DM 7080 HD was the most powerful of all the Dreambox receivers - even compared to the Vu+ machines... although the Vu+Duo2 is a close second. Dreambox DM 7080 has bigger RAM and faster processors than most anything else out there. I guess buyers comparing Dreamboxes would know this. The DM 7080 HD is truly powerful. So much better than any machine sold in this part of the world. We only get basic, slow, weak machines here (hence importing 1 myself). That means there is a market for Dreamboxes to another 30 million people in NZ and Australia! With a little advertising by Dream-multi-media, showing the stat's of what the machine can do... and hey presto... it'll take off. You know how enthusiasts, techies, retail shops etc talk... they'll spread the word too... but tuning needs to be a lot more user friendly. And a simple web site with detailed instructions, not relying on forums?

To compare Dreambox vs others I recommend people see Wiki's web site and scroll down to the table or graph at bottom: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreambox
    To compare Vu+ receivers I recommend people see Wiki and table at bottom at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vu%2B

Before I say goodbye, I would like to say why I write this because 1. Dreambox makers can help others and their own sales if they want to, by thinking about all satellite files included as mentioned above. 2. To all fellow New Zealanders and Aussies - warning, buy Dreambox only if it's set up... or only if you have advanced programming experience. 3. And to my fellow kiwi's... if you still want a powerful machine and don't want to wait years before dream-multimedia-tv.de supplies this half of the world with Dreambox machines suitable for here then here's where to go to get the next best thing - Auckland Motorhome Show, Epsom, in March, the Vu+ receiver being sold by a company importing stuff (like bikes etc) but he has a receiver nearly as good as the Dreambox. It's the Vu+Solo2 receiver. It's powerful and a really close second to the Dreambox I've learnt (on this long journey). Their web site is at Freeviewnz.com or http://www.freeviewnz.com/html/satellite_receivers.html where you should be able to buy one.

SO FOR FREEVIEW MACHINES IN NEW ZEALAND I WOULD RECOMMEND the one above. Not the basic (and often slow) freeviews sold at conventional shops in New Zealand - assuming you want true speed, power and functions. Why...?... because both receivers discussed here have features that are the brilliant. Particularly the 'Time Skip' on these receivers (that you can program yourself (Ultraplus can't as much) allows you to jump adverts or boring parts in recorded programs instantly and seamlessly. It is ABSOLUTELY PRICELESS. Once you experience it - you will never go back to 'squiggly fast forwarding and rewinding' again. Even beats MySky squiggly fast-forwarding. With 'Time Skip' you will end up watching all your favourite recorded movies and shows in half the time. Save hundreds of hours of your life not watching boring parts of things on TV. This is done by the numeric key pad (channel numbers) which can be set to 'skip' forward or 'backwards' to how-ever many seconds you want. Oh... and the ability to record 2 channels and play back a third is wonderful. It has a built in PVR (personal video recorder) unlike many other receivers not clear saying 'built in recorder'.

In NZ if it's under $500 dollars then it wont have a built in PVR trust me. You will need to spend more and plug in a PVR hard drive to the side. Not ideal. One benefit of my self importing struggle was that I was able to add and select - 2x Sat tuners PLUS... 2 Terrestial tuners... plus hard drive size of 2 TB's. Awesome power when added to the huge RAM and CPU it comes with. However if I could re-do the last 6 weeks over...?... I'd just get the one discovered at Motorhome Show and sold by the rare and unknown parallel importer at Freeviewnz.com BUT check he has it tuned for NZ channels. His 500 GB is enough too. Remember... you will LOVE the time skip function. Priceless! Well worth getting. Tom Cruise tortured in Mission Impossible 3... for 6 long horrible minutes...
    skip, skip 2 milli-seconds later... ahrrr it's over with... and yes he then breaks free and gets the bad
    guy of course... but at least I didn't have to waste 5 minutes of my life watching horrible parts thanks to the Receiver - and so
    it goes with ALOT of TV these days. Consumers will 'skip' through bad parts in films and TV until producers learn to make them more interesting to watch. My last Receiver was a Vu+Duo. It was great and had same skip feature. But it did not have a fast enough processor so jammed alot and eventually died. Hope this helps those considering Dreambox receivers and Vu+ receivers and fellow New Zealanders. Let me know if you have been helped and enjoy your purchase of a PVR receiver. Log on and reply here kiwi's - it's simple. My contribution and repayment back to the world wide web is now done!

Goodbye and happy and speedy TV viewing. :smiling_face: