A Sat Receiver and DTT Combined

• Hello,

This is my first post here so I hope it's not too dumb of a one for this Forum. Ok I'm in Ireland and I subscribe (pay for) to several satellite services and also have the free Irish Saorview Digital Terrestial Television (not many channels yet but is still an option for me). What I want is the one box to receive my sat channels and my DTT channels, so can the DM8000 HD PVR do that for me? If it can do I need to add certain tuners to my order when purchasing the receiver?

I would also like to be able to use the box to play recorded movies, homemade movies and digitally purchased movies, can the DM8000 HD PVR do that and what formats can it play? I would be connecting it to an AV receiver so the sound would be passed through.

Also, I noticed that a lot of satellite receivers don't transmit Dolby Digital sound via the HDMI output and you have to use Optical or Coaxial, why is this? I know the DM8000 HD PVR does not have a HDMI output but I would still like to know why DD does not pass through HDMI and also if DM have any satellite receivers that do pass DD through the HDMI output? btw, why does the DM8000 HD PVR not have a HDMI output?
    How many sat cards can the receiver hold and is there anything that the receiver won’t decrypt?

Last of all, what’s the deal with the crappy clones, how does one tell them apart from the real deal, I mean tell them apart when purchasing and not a few weeks later when they crap out?
    Thanks,
    Paul

• The DM8000 has two fixed SAT-Tuners built in and you can add two Tuners flexibly. So yes, there's no problem in ordering a DVB-S2/DVB-T combined Dreambox :smiling_face:
    The DM7020HD has two flexible slots for tuners and can be used with one satellite and one DVB-T tuner, too.

The DM8000 and DM7020HD can both play DVD (copy-protected only with the inofficial libdvdcss2, as on any Linux system), MPEG2, MPEG4 (DivX and H.264) data. Ripped Blurays (without menu, etc) can be played. Protected Blurays, any DRM protected and Windows files aren't possible. AC3 and DTS through your AVR are no problem :smiling_face:
    The DM8000 has DVI but is fully HDMI-compatible. It comes with a DVI->HDMI cable, that also delivers any audio signal you get. PCM, AC3, DTS, doesn't matter. So you don't need any extra optical connection.

Any Dreambox has smartcard readers but can only decrypt the rarely used DreamCrypt by standard. So you gotta use either software solutions (that have no license for decryption and are therefore not allowed to be discussed here) or the CI interface. But not every encryption is usable via CI. There is no support of CI+ on dreamboxes.
    You can use almost any subscription in a dreambox, but as long you don't use it with a CI module, it's not allowed to talk about it here.

At the dream multimedia homepage you can find a list of trustworthy shops, so you won't buy a clone. Also you shouldn't buy on eBay and take a look on the prices and the shops data (imprint, e.g. avoid shops from Hong Kong :winking_face: ).
    When you got the boy you can also do a genuine check on the homepage.

so long
    m0rphU

• check what broadcast type is used in your area
    currently dreambox has only DVB-T modules, but some countries have already moved to DVB-T2

as alternative of multituner dreamboxes(dm8000;dm7020hd)
    you can use single tuner dreams(dm800;dm800se;dm500hd) with external USB DVB-T tuner stick
    but that case is little complicated cause DMM official feed provides broken drivers

• Hello guys, thanks for the help on this. I've looked at some of the approved receivers for DTT service and they're all DVB-T tuners but as T2 is backward capable with T maybe I should have a T2 tuner. What about text services and EPG for DTT service. I think the box would need MHEG-5 middleware for text services to work. Can the DM8000 have the MHEG-5 middleware loaded on?

Thanks again.