Dreambox 8000

• Dear Forum,

I come to you today, asking for your mighty knowledge in regards to the DM8000, i am considering acquiring one, but i have a couple of doubts about it, could you be so kind and help me out here.

Currently i have two subscriptions to two different services, one via satellite (dish outside the house) and another via cable (still using a coaxial cable to plug it to the provided STB from the service provider), would i be able to have both services with the current set up on the DM8000? Does it support both platforms?

Considering it does, will it just be a matter of putting in both cards into the card slots? Will it give me access to all channels as per my subscription or i need to install any add on to allow me to unscramble all the channels that i am currently paying for? In the event that i have to install a add on, could you be so kind and let me know which one exactly? It would be ideal if i could just get rid of extra set up boxes and have it all in one.

Thank you so much for your assistance on this, looking forward to see your comments.

Aka

• If your cable stb is dvb-c, then this will work as you want. But you have to install some addons, that can not be discussed in this forum, as the usage of them is not legal in Germany even if you pay for your subscriptions. Nevertheless google can help you. The right keywords for your search csn be found studying the board rules of things, that are not allowed here...

Of course you could use a CI module as well, this again is legal and does not violate board rules, but
    A) you have to buy them (thats why the software version is illegal as you do not pay license fees for the encryption system like e.g. Nagra)
    B) you can only decode one channel at a time and not record one service and watchanother one (unless they are on the same transponder)

You won't get more help in thos forum on this topic...

• Dear Tode,

Thank you so much for taking your time in replying to my post. Having said that, my first question would go to, how do i find out if my cable is DVB-C?

Following your line of thought, i fail to see why would it be ilegal, to find out how can i make it work, the cards that i pay for with my service provider if i decide to buy my own hardware. Its somewhat like a cd that you pay for, you should be able to play its music in whatever system you want to, being a physical cd player or record it onto your car hardrive and play it whenever you want....nevertheless who am i to discuss the laws of a particular country orr countries for that matter.

Going back to the topic of discussion, the DM8000 have two card slots, so, since i have two satellite providers, i can place both cards in each slot and with the addons i should be able to watch all channels, correct?

However you mention that i can only watch one channel at the time, should i understand by that, the following: Once i change to a different channel, the card will decode it automatically and immediately, since its paid for and active, is this correct? I am not too worried about the recording, i have that function now and i hardly use it.

Sorry for the above, i really dont know much about this, all i want is to get rid of hardware in my living room...

Thanks

• If your cable provider is using DVB-C, you have to add an additional DVB-C tuner to the DM8000.
    The DM8000 has two build-in DVB-S(2) tuner fixed on board (not removable) and two empty
    slots for additinal tuners (either DVB-C, DVB-S(2) or DVB-T or mixed).
    There is NO WAY to have any analogue tuners in the DM8000 (or any other Dreambox).
    So everything stand and falls with the DVB-C for your cable connection.

ANY discussion about software decoding of payed subscriptions is not allowed here. If you want
    help for using payed subscriptions with a Dreambox in this forum, you need to ask for hardware
    decoding.
    With your subscription you ONLY payed for the CONTENT and NOT for the encoding/decoding.
    With a hardware decoder (aka. CAM) you payed for the encoding/decoding.
    Hope this clears some points.

DM900 SS, DM8000SSSS
    Kein Support per PN! Nutzt das Forum zum Fragen, dann haben auch andere etwas davon.

• Dear Kenatonline,

Thank you for your post, indeed together with Tode's, it helps a great deal. It seems alot more complicated than i envisaged, i wiill have to give it more thought to it. Since i wouldn't be able to find the DM 8000 in my country anyway, i will wait until i am physically elsewhere and then make a decision, based on the explanations that you both put forward.

Another matter is that the DM 8000 does not come cheap either, more so if i have to do addional purchases to be able to have the end result that i am looking for, nevertheless i will see it once the chance arises.

Let me thank you both once again and lets keep in touch.

Aka

• Just to clarify a bit more: the content (that you pay for) is protected using a scrambling algorithm (that you do not pay for). To use this algorithm, you hav to buy a peace of hardware (aka cam) or a decoder, whos manufacturer pays for using this scrambling algorith. Although the dreambox has the hardware to descramble that channels, dmm does not get the license to descramble this, as it is an open linux system. But: this algorith has been cracked and was rebuilt in software (aka soft-cam). This software can be downloaded and installed for free on a dreambox, but as you do not pay for the algorith, this is illegal.

Unfortunately the soft- version is much more flexible than the hardware one, as it can descramble more than one channel at a time, thats why a lot of people use it, although it is not legal. For me: I wanted to do it legally and bought an alphacrypt light module (that can be used in the dreambox 8000 legally and without additional software) but was annoyed by the restrictions...

Best regards
    Tode