Problem with some SD channels broadcasted with wrong 16:9 flag

• Hi,

I've been trying to solve my problem for some time - with no success so far. I use DM800 connected to a LCD tv via DVI with output resolution set to 1080i and no autoresolution plugin. For SD channels that broadcast letterboxed material as 4:3 (or 16:9 squashed into 4:3 - missing 16:9 flag in stream) I created my own plugin using /proc/stb/video/policy. It works mostly fine for my needs. The only problem is some channels broadcast 4:3 movies with 16:9 flag set - movie is standard SD 4:3 but with 16:9 turned on it gets resized and is obviously too wide. As SD 16:9 is just standard SD resolution scaled to 16:9 (standard anamorfic projection) it would be nice to be able to tell the receiver to ignore the 16:9 flag and treat the signal as normal 4:3 transmission. Unfortunately I coudn't find any way to do this - if the signal contain the 16:9 flag /proc/stb/video/policy is ignored and /proc/stb/video/policy2 is used instead but then setting it to letterbox gives additional black bars above and below even more squashed video. For now the only way to get the correct aspect for such channels is to switch TV to 4:3 mode, but it also switches the size of Enigma 2 user interface and I need to use second remote - which is annoing.

So the question - is it possible to somehow do what I need or does it need some extra changes in drivers?

Thanks in advance,

m.

• Yes. I've read this. And it's not what I'm asking for. I don't understand the mantion of 4:3 not beeing implemented for 1080i. It is implemented - I watch 4:3 broadcast all the time scaled to 1080i with black bars added to the left and right. What I need is the way to tell the scaler in Dreambox to treat 16:9 (or fake 16:9) SD broadcast exactly as if they were 4:3 and then I would be able to control the SD scaler using /proc/stb/video/policy which works just fine for 4:3 SD - if I put "bestfit" there what I get is anamorphic scaling - 4:3 signal is distorted, but 16:9 would get scaled correctly. So everything I need is there, the only thig that's missing is the way to enforce the aspect setting for 16:9. I would thought that writing something into /proc/stb/vmpeg/0/aspect would do exactly what I need as this file is r/w unforunately writing there doesn't change anything.

m.
    PS. And I don't want to use any lower resolutions as the UI looks ugly then.