cannot flash dm800 from my linux laptop

• hello,
    I have just bought a dm800 a few days ago. I have also got a linux laptop without windows and wanted to flash the dm800 from there a new image. I used the web interface and the recommended Mozilla/Firefox browser. I saw the IP device and the ping was succesfully after stopping the boot following instructions. The problem is that when I click the button "flash" on the web page the file transfer stops after about 60 seconds; worse the device becomes frozen and pinging is no more responding. The device becomes forzen and not responding to anything.
    I tried to update software from the "plugin" menu; it upgraded 11 packets but the web interface-second stage loader method gave the same broken result.
    Next I tried to run the DreamUP software under emulation with Wine: it failed to start saying it couldn't find any com ports (false: I do have a serial port).
    I have also telnet the box, but I don't know if this could be used to flash an image.
    So far I have been unable to flash a new image from linux. Should I use a windows pc to flash a device with linux in it ?!

• What image are you trying to upload, some images are too big for flashing (f.i. OoZooN full image), otherwise try to use the programm WINE.Wine is a translation layer, so you are able to run Windows applications on Linux.

• It is a wired connection, of course (I have the original enigma2 image and as far as I know it has no WLAN support). I am trying to flash the [Moderator] Image is in violation of the Boardrules [/Moderator] image to get WLAN support, but I will try others, as suggested here.

UPDATE
    I have tried other images, with the same (broken) result. Besides, I have noticed that original enigma2 images are larger than others, so the image size I think it is not an issue. I will try as last resort to use a windows pc but, if I get the same broken results with windows software, can I send the unit back to dream-multimedia within warranty? It is a brand new unit.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von pixam ()

• I have the exact same problem. Brand new DM 800, trying to flash an original enimga2 image from a linux comp. Flashing stops at around 20%. :face_with_open_mouth:

After that the box doesn't boot any more. I get only the, albeit nice, background image, but nothing else :frowning_face:
    I read about network booting here, but for now that's not possible. However, if I can boot it, does the "eraseall" command mentioned there work for the DM 800?

Some searches on internet mentions of a DreamUp for linux. Does it exist? Is it likely to succeed where the web-flashing fails?

And also, telnetting into the box (when in flash mode) works ( but it's of course not possible to flash a new image from there for obvious reasons).

Any ideas?
    EDIT: uhm, a bit of a mixup. As the telnet interface is not a regular prompt (but a menu-based interface), it's not possible to enter any "eraseall" command anywhere. I haven't found any "erase" command in the menu either.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von tatsujin ()

• I have the exact same problem. Brand new DM 800, trying to flash an original enimga2 image from a linux comp. Flashing stops at around 20%. :face_with_open_mouth:

Now, I've also tried with DreamUp from windows XP running within a VirtualBox, but it didn't even recognize my box:
    "Connection prepared, now start your dreambox"... but it was already started.
    Tried restarting it (got same IP from DHCP) and then clicked Disconnect+Connect in DreamUp: "Something is alive at, but it's not a dreambox." WTF?
    Also tried web flashing using firefox from the same VM, this time the flashing stopped at 0.63%.

This is getting annoying.... and I'm running out of ideas :frowning_face:
    EDIT: It appears I had misunderstood how DreamUp flashing worked. As I understand it (now), DreamUp requires that the box boots up normally.
    This is, of course, not possible since the box doesn't boot fully.
    Display content is only:

Code
    Dream Multimedia

dhcp....
    /flash/vmlinux.gz

and appears to be hanging there.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von tatsujin ()

• This problem has now been solved, or actually worked around. I still don't know why it didn't work.
    I tried web-flashing on my home network several times, all with the same result: failed!
    Then, in a desperate attempt in troubleshooting, I took the box to work and tried web-flashing it there...... uhm, worked!?
    Tried flashing twice, worked without a hitch both times.
    The only difference, and even remotely plausable reason for this behaviour, is that at home I don't have any NAT/firewall. Everything is wide open to the internet. At work this is of course not the case. So my theory is that, while flashing, the box got some "bad vibes" from the internet which caused it to crash.
    Though far-fetched, it's the only idea I've come up with... feel free to speculate, however. If anyone reads this thread.
    EDIT: by "this problem" I mean my problem, not the OP's problem.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von tatsujin ()

• you could change the Primary boot device in the bios settigns via telnet, then Flashing is possible directly with a LowFAT USB stick

Search with LowFAT and Dreambox for kit and readme.txt (but not here)

Such a LowfAT stick kann be perfectly prepared with a Linux PC (just formatting stick as FAT and then unpack LowFAT and the nfi file named Flash.nfi to it).

BTW If you don't want to Flash the nfi file LowFAT can boot it also directly from the stick :smiling_face:

Ciao

gutemine

• Search with LowFAT and Dreambox for kit and readme.txt

Thanks for the reply! I was starting to think that the english part of these forums was a wasteland.
    And thanks for the pointer, I was trying to find info about booting from usb... but it's not easy. And I didn't think to search for "lowfat", however ; )