Help! Remote Control extender for DM800? Anything available?

• Hi all,
    sorry for this long post.
    Here's my problem:

I used to have a DM500 for a couple of years. Six months ago I replaced it with a DM600.
    Because the coaxial sat-cable and the Dreambox unit are in the living-room but I do most of my viewing in the bedroom,
    I have been using a simple and cheap remote control extender quite happily for these 2 years. This way I have been able to control
    the Dreambox while being in the bedrrom.

Here's my RC extender (keep in mind that I have tested it and it does work for ALL my equipment (pre-amp, DVD/Blu Ray players,.. etc) as well):

Company name: HQ
    Product: IR-EGGS2 -
    Link: http://www.hqproducts.com/eng/…ries/page_1/artl_IR-EGGS2

Just 1 week ago I purchased the DM800. To my surprise the RC extender didn't work with the 800.
    I noticed though that the RC of the DM800 is identical to the RC that the DM600 has.
    (Both have identical codes on the sticker on the back battery cover: URC-39930RJ0-04 , 9RC32C-1038 )
    Here's an image ofe my remote control(s):http://www.falconsat.co.uk/images/DM7000_k.jpg

I also noticed that both RC work with the DM600 and the DM800 (the RC of the DM600 works with the DM800 and the RC of the DM800 works with the DM600).

How was it possible that both RC worked for both Dreambox units but the extender only worked for the 600??
    I couldn't find a logical explanation; so I searched the local shops and tried 5 different products (completely different brands) of RC extenders.

Result: They all worked for the 600 but NONE worked for the 800!

Furthermore, they all shared the same effect (including mine): when I was pointing the RC (any of the 2 RC) directly to the 800 and pressed any button, the 800
    responded. As soon as I moved the small IR emitter that all extenders have in front of the IR receiver of the 800 and pressed any button on the RC again, the 800
    was not responding any more! (as if the small emitter was "masking" the RC's keypresses). Needless to say that this was NOT the case with the 600. All was working fine...

So I returned to the shops all 5 RC extenders and still kept mine. I did some more testing with mine and noticed that the base unit of the RC extender was receiving the keypresses
    of the RC (it has a red led which lights whenever you press any button on the RC) but it was obvious that somehow it was not able to either "translate" it for the 800
    or the 800 was receiving it but couldn't "understand it".

I decided to try an other extender: the Next Generation Remote Extender (http://www.nextgenerationhomeproducts.com)
    While waiting for it to arrive from the USA, I decided to contact Dream Multimedia about this issue.
    We exchanged several emails and to keep this story short here's a quick summary (quotations are actually their wording):

1) initially they suggested changing "mode" in the RC and in the 800

"the problem might be that the dm800 uses another level for the ir-codes (there
    are 4 existing). You can program the remote-control for the 4 levels and the box, too.
    I believe that this will be the problem here, maybe the ir-extenders can just manage some, not all of the 4 levels...

I would propose you to change the level in the DM800 (please try 1-4).
    You can do this like described here:
    Mehrere Dreamboxen mit mehreren Fernbedienungen
    by the telnet-commando
    echo 2 > /proc/stb/ir/rc/mask0 for level 2
    echo 3 > /proc/stb/ir/rc/mask0 for level 3 and so on..."

Unfortunately their suggestions had no effect.....

2) Later they replied:
    "I got the information from our development that the ir-decoder of the DM800 works different to the other boxes, this will be the cause for your
    IR-extenders not to work. There will come some changes for this in future but we will have to see if your ir-extenders will work then."

3) Although I asked several times about the actual changes in the 800's IR interpretation I never received a reply.
    Their final feedback I have is:
    "There will be some changes in the general handling of the ir-signals internally. Not for the reason that the ir-extender does not work but the
    changes should affect thi as well then. But this has to be checked then. I am sorry we cannot offer you a direct solution so that we have to wait now."

Yesterday the "Next Generation Remote Control" arrived. It is trully a fantastic product! It works for all my appliances far more better than any RC extender
    I have ever tried (regarding sensitivity and distance). BUT IT DOESN'T WORK FOR THE 800 (no surprise there I guess)!!
    In fact, upon further testing it's not the 800's fault this time. This extender doesn't work for the 600 either.
    Upon closer inspection the led in the base never ligts up no matter which button you press on any of the 2 RC. So this time this RC extender isn't able to capture any of the
    key presses of the 2 RC. The base also has a "Function Switch selection":56Khz, 38Khz, and sensitivity lower. None of the 3 works.
    (I have contacted the NGRC's company and waiting their suggestions)

As a final test, today I tried this: using an old Marantz RC200MkII universal learning remote control (which has worked always fine for my other appliaances), I tried to teach it
    some buttons from the Dreambox's RC. The Marantz failed completely. It couldn't capture any of the buttons!
    But when after I pressed the "TV" button on the Dreambox RC and then any button it could learn all! So this can only mean that the "Dream" button sets the RC in a different mode
    than the TV button.
    During these 2 years I had never realized that the Dreambox remote controls can't be replaces by universal learning remotes. That's really bad...

So, after 1 week of endless trials and testing I feel exhausted. I have simply run out of ideas.

Here's the bottom line:

1) some extenders "capture" the IR transmissions but fail to "feed" them to the 800.
    2) some other extenders can't "capture" the IR transmissions at all...
    3) Dream Multimedia doesn't have a solution and from their tone of replies I don't feel like they really care to give a solution in the near future
    4) what is so damn special with the Dreambox Remote Controls anyway?
    4) IS THERE ANY EXTENDER OUT THERE THAT WORKS FOR THE 800???

THIS IS REALLY EMBARASSING....PEOPLE HAVE LONG AGO GONE TO THE MOON....
    IS THERE ANYTHING THAT CAN BE DONE WITH THIS BOX TO CONTROL IT FROM AN OTHER ROOM?

Please, if anyone has any ideas let me know...

Sorry again for this long post.
    Regards,
    Panos

• A LONG time has passed, but I have still not found a way to use remote extenders with DM800 :frowning_face:

Has anybody got any remote extender that actually works with DM800 or
    managed to find out WHY the remote extenders do not work with 800?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von kainvaljaots ()

• i use a kameleon4 model number URC-8040 along with a Global TvLink PLUS kit and Global TvLink magic eye and it works perfectly with my DM800 right in front of it as well as in the bedroom sending the information through the IR extender system, it is sent through a co-ax cable though

i hope this helps you

• Zitat

Originally posted by panos
    1) some extenders "capture" the IR transmissions but fail to "feed" them to the 800.
    2) some other extenders can't "capture" the IR transmissions at all...

4) what is so damn special with the Dreambox Remote Controls anyway?

Does anyone have a solution on these questions now ?

aquaman

• I had hoped to find the answer for my recently discovered problem.

Earlier in this topic someone gave the tip that Marmitek IR extenders would work fine on the DM 800. This is not true.

The Marmitek Powermid XL wourk great on all ealier models besides the 800, as I found out today. :frowning_face:

To be honest I think taht the IR sensibility of the DM 800 originally already is far under an acceptable level but in combination with the Marmitek Powermid XL I have to push the RC almost into the IR receiver and sometimes the Box responds.

Isn't there any solution for this problem?

I haven't yet tried it on the 8000. I hope this box haven't got thesame problem in combination with the Powermid XL as the 800. :frowning_face: