ODS time not handled correctly

• My linux timezone is set for GMT
    After system boot (7025) ODS time == linux time
    When tuning into a european tv channel on astra 19.2 ODS time switches over to MET time.
    BUT when switching to BBC on astra 28.2 ODS time does not switch back.
    kernel trace using init 4 shows:
    [eDVBLocalTimerHandler] diff is -1
    [eDVBLocalTimerHandler] diff < 120 .. use Transponder Time
    [eDVBLocalTimerHandler] time update to 16:22:01
    [eDVBLocalTimerHandler] m_time_difference is -1
    [eDVBLocalTimerHandler] update RTC

I do not know what diff -1means ( should be 1 hr) but it does not trigger a change of the OSD to GMT.

enigma2 image used D2008.01.07.23.00.00-Jan 8 2008

Regards
    Peter

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ppuk ()

• small differences are adjusted (minutes) big differences (hours from sats with different timezones) are ignored.

If box has no/linux time it takes time from transponder only during boot/first tuned transponder.

You can use Pauli Plugin to set the startup channel on your Dreambox (and also change time manually by typing it in), or simply stop it with the one you want to use as timing source.

Ciao
    gutemine

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Lost in Translation ()

• Hello

You mention only small differences are corrected. This is not what I see.
    I start with an OSD time equal to the linux time when using UK channels.
    When switching to a European channel time the OSD time is set 1 hr forward, the linux time remains at GMT timezone.
    Hence I would expect the time to be set back to the UK when switching back to UK channels, but once .

So I do not see a consistent situation, the OSD time is moved from GMT to MET time zone but is not moved back.

What should it be?

Regards
    Peter

• Hello gutemine

I had a more detailed look into the situation.
    It seems that the problem does not lie in the eDVBLocalTimerHandler code.
    Somewhere else timezone info must be kept and it is changed after the first contact with tv channel on the astra 19.2

I went through the following scenario:
    reboot 7025 so that it starts in a BBC terresterial tv channel.
    Both linux time and OSD time show local GMT time, so everything is fine.
    issue a init 4 command and restart enigma2.
    Attached is the output of the enigma2 debugging text, I've cut away atuff that is not relevant and added a line where I changed tv channel.
    When looking at the bit where a switch is made to the NL1 tv channel on astra 19.2 you can see the time is still according GMT.
    It is only at the next return that the RTC has moved up one hr.
    This leaves me with two questions:
    Where did this happen and why does int only move forward and not back again.

• Bug or feature, that is the question.

I think it depends if time AND timezone are sent by the channel/transpinder - so new timezone is recognized and hence switched, but Astra 2 is egoistic (GMT=UTC=I'm always right) and sends only time - at least my 2 cents to explain the current behaviour.

But I could be totally wrong too. It could be also a re-vival of the 'die-hard' summer time bug or something else even more evil. So maybe test again in summer :smiling_face:

Mabye I should write a timezone checker dameon checking which cannel you are watching and then change the time accordingly

but this is probably still not satisfying - if you record on one SAT and watch other you would be still in trouble.

Ciao
    gutemine

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Lost in Translation ()

• Hello

Got some info from the german dreambox support team.
    They mentioned that at boot time info from the current tuned in transponder is checked and used to set time at boot.
    I have to look into this a bit further.
    At the trace a added in my earlier post I used the scenario to boot when the channel it would pick up was the BBC 1 via the terrestrial receiver.
    In the tested scenario in the trace I switched to astra and then back to bbc on terrestrial receiver.
    The switch to astra caused the + 1hr jump, I suspect at the point where the trace mentions 'update RTC'.
    The switch back to BBC after that does not result in a -1hr adjustment.
    So it does not seem a satellite TZ 'domination' issue.
    Is it possible to add a bit more debug print statements in the code for the next release of enigma2 code drop to pinpoint where and when the +1hr jump is made?

• In my opinion a terrestrial broadcast will probably not contain timezone info - would be useless :smiling_face:

But give your tests a try

• Hello

I executed a few simple tests to get a better understanding of the problem and to exclude the feature bit.

test 1:
    Tune into a BVN ( dutch free channel) on Astra 19.2 and rebooted the box.
    At the time linux came up I checked the time, correct time and correct timezone. When picture came up OSD and LCD showed UK time. It took a couple of minutes before a +1hr jump was made.
    Tuning in bbc prime on same sat did not make the time move back.
    So this proved the mechanism of picking up the time at boot works independent of which sat channel is used.
    Next test, reboot the box while on BBC prime.
    Again box came up with correct linux time, and when picture came up, both OSD and LCD time in GMT time and STAYED in GMT time.
    The last test seem to exclude the theory that the sat is not sending correct time.
    It also seem to exclude the feature theory

So the mystery seems to hide in the behavior of the enigma2 code. It does not seem to be caused by the eDVBLocalTimerHandler code it self. May be by the underlying function.
    Any thoughts?

I did not manage to find a place yet to download the enigma2 code. I do not have a cvs client environment, so I need a zip or tar ball of the code.
    Anyone who can help so I can have a look at the code?