MovieRetitle-1.1 - Edit movie filename, title and description

• There is a new version of the MovieRetitle plugin, 1.1. (The first version, 1.0, was announced together with the MovieCut plugin).

MovieRetitle lets you change the filename, title, and description of a movie. It shows up in the movie list menu as "Change name".

It is thus similar in functionality to Gutemine's RenameMovie plugin, although it has a more convenient and simple interface: You get directly into a dialog where you can (independently) edit any or all of the filename, the title, or the description of the movie. When you are done you immediately get back to the updated movie list. Also, this plugin does not require the filename and title to be synchronized as Gutemine's plugin does. On the other hand, Gutemine's plugin offers the possibility to also rename Enigma1 movies and mpeg files, whereas this plugin concentrates on movies recorded under Enigma2. (If there is a demand for it, one might of course consider to make a hybrid with the best parts of our two plugins.)

This version of MovieRetitle requires a version of Enigma2 from later than 2007-11-28, which means that it can now be used together with the Dreambox keyboard, and that long movie names or descriptions appear better in the dialog (scrolled horizontally rather than only showing the last part). It is also based entirely on python code, as opposed to the previous version which called external programs for the renaming. This means that this version should be possible to use on any Dreambox model running Enigma2, and not just DM7025.

Both an .ipk and a .tar.bz2 version of the plugin is attached below.

Best Regards
    Anders Holst

• I needed a function to automatically fill the description with text from the extended description because some senders do not send a correct description for the events.

I added the functionality to your great plugin:

if description is empty and extended Description contains <'> then the description is replaced by the part of the extended description between the two ' ' characters.

Example:

On start of the plugin:

Description = ""
    Extended description: Folge 10: 'The best friend': Theo meets...

After start:
    Description = The best friend

Here is the code I changed:

Probably you find it usefull for changes in future.
    But be careful: There is no error- handling in this code at the moment. Whenever there is no ' in the text it will crash enigma. I will fix that when I am back at home.
    regards
    Tode

• Hello Tode

Thanks for your contribution to the code. I think it is a good idea to use material from the long description when the short description is empty.

I just have two minor thoughts regarding it:

First, how can really the short description be missing and not the long one? (Or the other way around for that matter, or sometimes there are even descriptions of different movies in the long and short one.) Both the short and long descriptions must be from the EPG, so if it manages to capture one correctly it should capture the other one too. Yet I experience this discrepancy rather often. I think it is a bug, and as such it should preferably be fixed at the source rather than worked around. (This is not to say that the workaround can't be valuable until the real bug is fixed of course - please continue sending updates!)

Second, I am not sure about this trick with the quotes. The crash you mention can be fixed of course, but my point is this: Are the quotes around the episode name some kind of common convention? I seldom see any such quotes in the descriptions of the movies I get here. Maybe there should be some other way to pick out the relevant part? Or just insert all of it if there are any uncertainty. (Actually, many times it seems that the long and short descriptions are the same here.)

So, what is the optimal behavior here really?

Best Regards
    Anders Holst

• Due to a small mistake when packaging the .ipk file it couldn't be installed. A new version is uploaded in its place above (at the first message in the thread). Better luck with this one!

Best Regards
    Anders Holst

• Thanx for your answer.

I already updated my code to prohibit the crash.
    I created a completely new py- File with 2 new functions called:

GetDescriptionWithFallbackFromService(service)

and

GetDescriptionWithFallbackFromEvent(event,descr)

These to functions take either a service or an event as parameters and try to give back a "sensible" description (whereas the second one takes a "default"- or "fallback"- description as parameter).

I can not speak for a "general standard". But I looked at a lot- of german stations and found out some interesting things:

A lot of them seem to send a long- description (EPG) only, but no short- description. The title -e.g. of series- very often is empty, but is shown in addition in the long- description.

Whether the stations do not send this information, or if the Dreambox does not read it correctly, is something, that I could not find out yet.

From my experience with german stations I implemented the following search- order:

Search for double quotes: if found, take the text in between
    Search for single quotes: if found, take the text in between
    Search for colon: if found, take the text before the colon
    Search for dot: if found take the text before the first dot
    else: Take the first 20 characters.

This information is mostly true for series (e.g. Heroes, Emergency Room, etc.), not for Movies, where the Short- Description most often is empty, or filled with something like a genre ("Comedy") or something.

Best thing would be, to make the search- order configurable in a config- screen, and probably to let the user define his own special characters to search for. You could as well let him choose the number of characters to use, if the characters were not found.

I'll attach my new "MovieUtils.py" that I copied to the Components- folder as well as two implementations: Your Movie- Retitle and a change in RecordTimer.py.

Probably you can use it.
    Best regards

Tode

• There is a new version of the MovieRetitle plugin available.

It is now possible to move to another location. If the other location is on another device, moving will be performed in the background and a notification given when moving is finished. The old movie will not disappear from the movie list until then. It is possible to request moving more movies before the first one has finished, but they will be queued up and moved after each other not the stress the external media too much.

This version is adapted to the skin changes of 2008-04-14 and requires the "location stuff" changes of 2008-06-28.

The version does *not* include the patch by Tode to handle extended description, since I'm still not sure about the best practice here, and there seem to be differences between countries. But I welcome Tode to provide a patched version of this version too.

Included below are ipk and tar.bz2 files. This version can also be downloaded from the plugin menu if you use the experimental feed.

Best Regards
    Anders Holst

• The above version of MovieRetitle, 1.2, requires the location patches that came in place 2008-06-26 (I wrote 28th above, that was slightly wrong I see now). Still, many people may have images based on versions of Enigma2 before that date but still after the skin changes on 2008-04-14.

To make MovieRetitle available to them, I have made a minor "backport" of the plugin, intended for the Enigma2 2.5 branch between 2008-04-14 and 2008-06-26. The location support is "crippled" back to the pre-26th-june level, but otherwise everything should be the same in the plugin.

Best Regards
    Anders Holst

• It's been a while, since you added this Version. But I did not have time until today to insert my modifications into the code.

Here is my Version of the plugin.py. It uses my "MovieUtils.py" to try to guess a good Short- Description from the Extended- Description.

I use it to rename the recordings of "Heroes" from RTL2: They do not send a Short- Description but only a Extended- Description, that contains the title of the current series.

This is NOT the backported Version but the original one...

Best rergards
    Tode