Slow HDD performance during filetransfers

• I have noticed a problem with my 7025+.

If I transfer movies from the internal hard drive to my PC (or from my PC to the Dreambox) Dreambox's file operations, when used with remote control via OSD-menus, are very slow. Same happens with ftp and samba, transfer rates are about 4MB/sec upload to Dreambox, 8MB/sec download from Dreambox.

Recorded movies menu operates slowly and when I select a recording and try to playback, it takes long time with wait symbol displayed onscreen. Also, if the recording has a marker for previous playback and I select "yes" to continue playback from that place, it does not work. After a long time I just get an error message saying: No data on transponder (Timeout reading PAT). Things get even worse and slower if Dreambox is also recording at the same time.

What is wrong? Is it a problem with my Dreambox or are Dreambox's hard drive routines really so bad that even a 4MB/sec network transfer can make hard drive operate so slowly? Hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10, 320GB,7200 rpm. UDMA2 mode seems to be enabled when checked with hdparm. But the system sure works like it's in PIO-mode...

• I have made more tests and during the transfer vsftpd takes over 70% of cpu time. Same problem also with samba, then smbd takes same cpu time. I also changed those tasks priorities to lower, from 0 to 15 and that seems to help. But what is the cause of this problem? Is 7025's CPU really that weak or is there some bug in HDD/filetransfer code?
    (Looks like I need to post this to Enigma software forum)

• Zitat

Originally posted by Ghost
    And yes.. this is normal.

If this is normal, and known "problem", then why are the task priorities set so that a file transfer can slow down everything else?