Streamen zum PC

• Sorry for the english... I put a dirty german translation at the bottom, but I am not that good at german, so it is a little bit rough...

I have read a lot here about streaming problems and that it should be either because of a bad network driver or a hardware limitation. I have tried the standard streaming from Dreambox Web-X-TV to a PC and it is really quite bad. A lot of tries without picture and once you get picture, after a short time you can get some pixel fault and then the picture is destroyed for the rest of the session.

I have experimented with this problem a lot for a month and have made my own fix for these problems and now streaming in Web-X-TV works quite good, so even if the NIC driver or the hardware is limited, it works, and I really feel the main problems with this streaming at least, is due to some errors in the streaming implementation.

Only two very simple modifications are necessary in the original source to make the streaming work a lot better. I have written to DMM about it, but no answer so far (but it has really not passed that long time since I sent the email, to be fair). But I am not sure DMM put priority in this, although the fixes are so simple and just needs 10 minutes to implement (yes, I know I said I worked for 1 month with it, but finding out the solution takes longer than implementing it, right?).

So, I would really wish that DMM made some efforts to improve the streaming for the 500 up to the level it is really capable. I don't claim my streaming is totally fault-less, but it is a big improvement over what is currently implemented and I can enjoy a good TV session without any problems.

Now for the most entertaining part of this message....... the german translation :face_with_tongue:

Ich habe viel hier gelesen über Streamen Probleme und das es ein schlechtes NIC Treiber oder Hardware Probleme ist. Ich habe das Streamen zum PC in Web-X-TV probieren und es ist wirklich ganz schlecht. Viele versuche ohne Bild und wenn ein Bild, nach ein kurzem zeit Pixel-fehler die immer da ist.

Ich habe ein eigenen fix für diese Probleme gemacht und nun wirkt Streamen in Web-X-TV ganz gut, so schechtes NIC Treiber oder Hardware probleme vielleicht, aber allerdings geht es.

Es ist nur zwei ganz einfache Modifikationen in dem Source notwendig. Ich habe ein email nach DMM geschrieben, aber kein Antwort... :smiling_face_with_sunglasses:

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von ridax ()

• Have you tried TuxvisionR. It seems to work quite well with the smaller boxes.

Also if you post your changes, I can try to put them in as a plugin.

Regards, pcd.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von pcd ()

• Hi,

ridax: is there any reason why this thread is dead? Your fix sounds very interesting and i think, many other people like me would be happy, if it would find their way into the dm500.

prodigy7

• Yes, if you click my name to bring up my profile you can go to my homepage to see more information.

For those (few of you) that can swedish, you can see some comments about it here. Sorry, that it is most in swedish, but it is the board I am most active in and I haven't bothered to spread the word about it that much in other places.

http://www.dreamboxx.nu/e107_p…_viewtopic.php?54530.last

http://www.dreamboxx.nu/e107_p…_viewtopic.php?54825.post

http://www.dreamboxx.nu/e107_p…um_viewtopic.php?52235.60

• Ridax: Please read the GPL, and post the diff for your fixes.

I have made some fixes to streamts free of charge.
    Diff is here: http://tuxbox-forum.dreambox-f…topic.php?p=329595#329595

Download executable here:
    http://traxme.net/streamts.zip
    http://traxme.net/inetd.conf

Then do these steps

1) Copy the new streamts to /var/bin/
    2) Copy inetd.conf to /var/etc/
    3) telnet to your DM500
    4) chmod 755 /var/bin/streamts

5) ps
    6) kill < pid for inetd > ( use the pid shown in ps )
    7) inetd /var/etc/inetd.conf

Steps 5,6,7 needs to be repeated after every reboot.
    Hopefully this fix will be added to the official image soon, and if Ridax has any further fixes, I hope he will post them as well, as soon as he has wrapped his head around the GPL.

f

• Zitat

Originally posted by LazyT
    Nice work, streams fine - if it starts. This Problem isn't fixed... :loudly_crying_face:

I know there still are some problems. There seems to be some F&*#kup in the DM500 software demux. If you just wait 2-3 seconds after changing channels before starting vlc, you have better chances of locking onto the stream. Maybe enigma EPG function is messing with the demux or something. I will continue to look into this. Ridax claims to have a fix for this as well, but since he doesn't seem to give a sh&t about the GPL, I don't expect him to share his fix in source code.

PS! I traxme now has an even newer version of streamts, that uses less memory, and sets the DMX_IMMEDIATE_START flag. Hopefully this will improve reliability.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Snakehand ()

• Zitat

Original von Snakehand
    Ridax: Please read the GPL, and post the diff for your fixes.

And what does the GPL have to do with me? My code is altogether different from anything under the GPL and there is no way you can run a diff on the source. You just want to make people believe I have changed the original source in a line here and another line there... Are you so st-pid that you think this would alter the behaviour from a totally terrible streamts to a streamts that streams fine and even keeps up with HDTV streams at 17.5 Mbps and can stream subtitles?

As I suppose you know what (any) streamts basic work purpose is, and considering the really minimum work it really does, would there really be any sense using old code and change it in a lot of places instead of writing it from scratch? The only thing a streamts program does, is to read data from one device and write it to another. Considering this, how much use would you really have fom an existing source, unless you are a total beginner in coding and don't know how to do?

As I indicated in my first message in this thread, I offered to inform DMM how THEY can change the CVS streamts source in a simple way, that would only take 10 minutes to modify that source, that would fix the lost sync problem and startup problem. They never answered my email. That does NOT mean that this is how *I* implemented the changes in streamts. As I said, I worked with this for 1 month before coming to a stable solution before I knew what had to be done. Obviously during that month, I implemented a lot of different approaches and wrote code that was not based at all on existing code. My streamts does not just have those 2 simple changes that I offered to DMM, it doesn't use the same principle at all for performing the task, which is also why it keeps so well up with HDTV streams.

6 Mal editiert, zuletzt von ridax ()

• As I haven't seen your streamts implementation I could only deduce from your language that you had done the two fixes to the original that you mention. I apologise if my deductions have wronged you in any way, but would like to remind you that this is an open source project, and that I intend to continue developing the linux way. You are of course entiteled to develope closed source style, but then it will be harder for you to implement the same fixes to NFS / CIFS recording as I intend to do.

Cheers.

• ridax

And again: WHY do you not post these 2 simple changes as a diff for the terrible streamts here?

You "offered to inform DMM"? Sorry, but this sounds like "give me some $$$ and i send you some info" for me...

Ich bin nicht faul sondern im Energiesparmodus!

• Zitat

Original von Snakehand
    As I haven't seen your streamts implementation I could only deduce from your language that you had done the two fixes to the original that you mention. I apologise if my deductions have wronged you in any way, but would like to remind you that this is an open source project, and that I intend to continue developing the linux way. You are of course entiteled to develope closed source style, but then it will be harder for you to implement the same fixes to NFS / CIFS recording as I intend to do.

What do you mean "this is an open source project"? What is "this"? I know plenty of the code for Dreambox (and Linux in general) is open source. It doesn't mean everything has to be. Some people like open source, some don't. I don't, because I see what mess creates when badly managed (just see at the Tuxbox CVS and see how many "improvements" that has been badly tested and reversed by others again, and I see how limiting this is for getting professional developers into a project. I don't think it is without reason that the software for the Dreambox is not of better quality than it is...

But everyone has their right to believe what they want about this and everyone has the right to release their code as open source, or not. Entirely up to them. What I don't like is that *YOU* without knowing any fact, go around in different forums and tell them I am not familia with and breaking the GPL. To come with these kind of accusations, you should know what you talk about first.

Good luck with improving the recording. For my part, I am hoping the DM600 will have good recording and that it will appear some time...

To LazyT: You are entitled to believe whatever you want. Even if I had asked for money from DMM (which I didn't), to give them that information, I see nothing wrong with that. It is still my work, and I have every right to do as I want with it. I am of the opinion that it is not right that DMM rely on others developing open source for their hardware and only DMM earn money on selling the hardware. Why are not everyone requesting DMM to sell the Dreambox hardware at pure manufacturing cost? But everyone seem to think it is right to ask others to develop software for those boxes without any compensation? Is making/selling hardware a work that is so much more valuable than developing software? This is something I am not accepting...

• Hello Snakehand

I read this topic earlier today after almost reaching my wits end, and as I thought this looked promising I decided to try it this evening.

Wow, what an amazing difference! That's really really good. Thank you for sharing this.

My DM500 was useless at streaming before, it crashed within 10 seconds if not immediately and never recovered without me pulling the plug.

Now I can watch .ts streams fairly well, it freezes sometimes, but I don't need to reboot any more!

I don't wish to sound greedy, but if you do any more work on this to make it perfect, please do share it with us.

Thanks again.

Ksada2