Backup on 7025 revisited

• Time to start a new thread, I think. Continued from: Experimental: NFI2CF

Using the tools from the link above, a backup to .nfi format should be possible. Compared to my earlier attempts, this should be pretty safe since it's working through the file system, and only the standard image making tools from OE is used.

The script:

It can only be run from a file system that is different from the root file system, e.g. from a harddisk partition.

Please find the complete tool-box (including this script) attached.

Does anybody care to test it and report back? I've only made a backup and unpacked the resulting nfi file, I have not tried to actually flash it yet.

• I could try it next weekend after I finished version 4.1 of multiboot which does the nfi UNpacking.

BUT I would prefere not to inlcude this functionality in multiboot, BECAUSE then most of the dreambox boards would be in troubles, because of people who would start dumping their own images with illegal stuff to .nfi files and upload them.

Implementing my own MB*.tar.bz2 backup images was already on the borderline, but needed to overcome the backup needs and the limitation with 4 primary partitions/device.

When I support this functionality for nfi files this would be a damm break, and I'm not sure if i would like to contribute to such a situation.

On the other hand adding this functionality if it works as expected would be only about 20 lines of code in multiboot (similar to the unpack, because the code paths are already in cluded in mutiboot for the tar.bz2 files, so there would be proably a 'Patched' version pretty soon available anyway)

Just an opinion, but we can discuss ...

PS: and my MB*.tar.bz2 files are smaller then nfi, easier to unpack and handle !

ciao
    thowi

5 Mal editiert, zuletzt von thowi ()

• After 4.1 of multiboot ist out here's further feedback:

To prevent nfi backup images multiboot version 4.0 ships only the extract tools (no mkfs.jffs2) and removes the temporary extracted secondstage.gz after unpacking the nfi file.

Because root and boot are stored in the same filesystem on cf card or harddisk it is not so easy to create an nfi image again out of it (unless I might ever support it).

Ciao
    thowi

PS: I'm starting now to test nfi backup as promised - have I ever been able to keep my fingers away from a new toy :winking_face:

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von thowi ()

• I could not resist :winking_face:

Dumping Multiboot Image Partitions is built now into Multiboot 6.1*
    as a BETA (so don't expect too much).

But I implemented an copy S N feature to steal an (up-to-date) secondstage.gz from an .nfi image, in a multiboot environment this is more sensemaking then stealing it from flash.

I'm not sure if I should also implement the possibility to dump flash also, because people could always use your tools ...

Tankx for your tools and tipps to implement this !

Ciao
    thowi

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von thowi ()