DM500HD - problems getting dreambox <-> pc networking going

• Hi,

Still more questions following upgrading from a DM7000 to DM500HD. (I am surprised this is proving so difficult - maybe I had a similar steep learning curve when I got the DM7000 set up, but that was few years ago ...)

Anyway, with the DM7000 I could use an Ethernet crossover cable, connect the Dreambox to my laptop. Set a fixed IP address (192.168.1.9, no DHCP), subnet mask 255.255.254.0 on the Dreambox, and use Filezilla to get files to/from the hard disk.

I did get this going on the DM500HD, with the official 2.8.2 image that the box came with. I have since installed 2.8.4. Now I cannot seem to get the networking going with this same setup (IP 192.168.1.19) . I have tried restarting the Dreambox network, restarting the box, and powering it off and on. The Dreambox will not respond to a ping, and ftp (Filezilla or command-line) never shows a response.

The network test shows the IP address as 'undetermined'

Does anyone have any clues ?

Thank you

John Robinson

John Robinson, York, England.

• Ok, I have read the manual (if all else fails ...). I see it says the IP address must be in the range 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254.

I have been using the 192.168.1.x subnet for all the devices (Soundbridge, PCs, DM7000) on the home network, as my Orange Livebox router uses it. The DM7000 was happy with this subent, and I am sure the DM500HD was with 2.8.2.

Anyway, this evening I will try it with an 192.168.0.x subnet address.

Thanks

Jobn

John Robinson, York, England.

• Is your subnet mask 255.255.254.0 a typo?

I just dealt with the the same kind of problems (FW 2.8.4).
    The difference to your situation is, I have a router in my net and a couple of more IPs in use.

1. The IP range is 192.168.x.y where x and y may range from 1 to 254.
    However x must be equal to your existing net (in your case your computers IP) and y must not be equal to any IP within your net (your computer). I think you did that right and use 192.168.1.9 on the box and 192.168.1.something different on the computer .

2. I ran the build in network test and got OK for all but DHCP of course and DNS which took a little while to produce OK - reason unknown. In my case DNS was identical to the gateway address. It might be a bit touchy if you have to leave out gateway and DNS. You never know if the FW stops at this point.

3. My box does not cooperate in the LAN when it is started in the upgrade mode (press front button, then power up). No ping, perfect silence. It seems to depend on the DHCP routine in this mode. Reason unknown and from my point of view its a bug.

4. I think you are aware that ping is the most basic test and nothing else (such as Filezilla) will work if ping fails.