buy dreambox 800 original or clone?

• anybody using dreambox 800 hd clone? is it good? what is the difference with original one? i want t o buy a 800 hd, but the original is too expensive for me, i saw a clone one in ***DELETED***, i am wondering if it works well.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't know what gave you the impression that asking for a cloned product in the manufacturers web board might be a good idea.
    If a dreambox is too expensive, start saving money for it today.
    Developing such a product costs a lot of money and many people want to live from it, starting with hardware developers, programmers, sales people, support guys and so on.
    So please stop asking for clones which are only making some chinese people richer.

Grüße,
    Olove

"All we need to do ... is keep talking (Stephen Hawking)"

Ich leiste KEINEN Support per PN/E-Mail, derartige Anfragen werden nicht beantwortet.
    I won't give support via PN/E-Mail and I won't answer such messages.

• - The hardware is crap. It's the cheapest you can get therefor it will not work very long and it's unstable.
    - some hardware components are completly missing in a clone box and you will get problems caused by this.
    - you can not use newest software and plugins with it and have to stick with old *hacked* software from years ago.
    - you don't have waranty. If you have a hard- or software problem with it, no one can help you.
    - Simply don't buy it. You will have a lot of problems with it and it's unstable. You will not be happy with it very long.

Theorie ist, wenn man alles weiß, aber nichts funktioniert.
    Praxis ist, wenn alles funktioniert aber niemand weiß warum.

• I don't know what gave you the impression that asking for a cloned product in the manufacturers web board might be a good idea.
    If a dreambox is too expensive, start saving money for it today.
    Developing such a product costs a lot of money and many people want to live from it, starting with hardware developers, programmers, sales people, support guys and so on.
    So please stop asking for clones which are only making some chinese people richer.

this is a very logic , polite and convincing reply

regards ...
    :thumbs_up:

• Having been mislead or through a misunderstanding with the dealer, i was supplied a clone believing it to be the real McCoy which i discovered the hard way it was not. i.e. through imaging with original image.
    The dealer gladly changed it, although it cost me another 30% but i now have an original box. was it worth it? No, is the simple answer. why?

a) i haven't received the support i expected to receive having purchased an original
    b) the original unit shutsdown the DVI and i have to unplug and replug the cable to get the monitor to recognize a signal - this didn't happen on the clone
    c) the clone had a CPU heatsink, the real one does not. - far more important than a missing modem (although my clone also had the modem)

in summary, depending on the clone (if it is a complete replica) it is more than likely to come out of the same factory, or the factory of the brother of the owner of the real one using all the original schematics, etc.
    It has possibly been made by recycling components from machines that failed the QC initial tests or, if it is a complete replica from the same factory it has possibly gone out the back door.
    Nothing new about that in China and if Dream Multi-Media chose to OEM to a factory in China, it is their only silly fault that this may happen.
    They should have been aware of the risks. They could have always built it in Germany.

Bottom line is, you aren't going to get the low level support you would expect, other than simple referrals to forum posts, so you are mostly on your own in my experience.
    Best to start learning linux so you can help yourself. You will probably get more out of the box that way, anyway.

Lastly, if you are putting any other images on it than the original DMM, then you are definitely on your own any how.
    One thing about buying a DMM (despite the lack of quality support), you can always revert to the EU/German consumer protection laws..
    much easier with an established German company than Bob's satellites around the corner - assuming he doesn't packed up and go in the process

So, now you can make an informed decision.

• Zitat

b) the original unit shutsdown the DVI and i have to unplug and replug the cable to get the monitor to recognize a signal - this didn't happen on the clone

This is/was a temporary problem some people discovered with a few experimental drivers / images. Simply use a release-image or older drivers and stay away from those bugged experimental drivers. When you use stuff from experimental tree, you have to live with this risk sometimes. If you want stable and no beta stuff, use release images!

Zitat

c) the clone had a CPU heatsink, the real one does not. - far more important than a missing modem (although my clone also had the modem)

The real one doesn't get so hot like a clone chip. It simply does not need one ...

Zitat

in summary, depending on the clone (if it is a complete replica) it is more than likely to come out of the same factory, or the factory of the brother of the owner of the real one using all the original schematics, etc.
    It has possibly been made by recycling components from machines that failed the QC initial tests or, if it is a complete replica from the same factory it has possibly gone out the back door.

Biggest crap I've read in the forum. You have absolutly no idea what you are talking about! China can clone everything ... give them the hardware and a few weeks later you get your clone copy. It would not matter WHERE they build it ... they would clone it anyway. And as far as I know they are currently producing boxes in netherlands and taiwan, not china from where the clones are coming.

See it like you want ... our guys already analyzed clone hardware ... it contains simply the cheapest crap you can get for money. If you buy it, you will not have fun with it for a long time. Maybe for a few days/weeks, but then the problems start ... and no one can help you then.

Someone should close this thread ... it's getting ridiculus

Theorie ist, wenn man alles weiß, aber nichts funktioniert.
    Praxis ist, wenn alles funktioniert aber niemand weiß warum.

• Biggest crap I've read in the forum. You have absolutly no idea what you are talking about! China can clone everything ... give them the hardware and a few weeks later you get your clone copy. It would not matter WHERE they build it ... they would clone it anyway. And as far as I know they are currently producing boxes in netherlands and taiwan, not china from where the clones are coming.

interesting, i just checked the box and packaging on the external side and there is no "made in" - country of origin info - that's illegal where i come from.
    I will check the inside of my box and the EU laws in relation to identifying country of origin info.

As for crap, i spent 10yrs in Asia - the handle happens to be Chinese - if you were half awake. In the 80s i used to sell recycled 80286 CPU and 286 PC chipsets....but i have no idea what i am talking about.
    you read a single sentence and believe you know everything.....i could write a thesis on the way Chinese companies swindle everything, from components traders who soak low quality capacitors in hot water to remove the plastic sheath and re-cover with Japanese labels, to imitation brand name cigarettes. But you are entitled to your opinion. Just remember, assumption is the mother of all f.ckups.

• Offizieller Beitrag

On which "experience" or assumptions you elaborate thoughts may ever be based, they are still wrong regarding dreamboxes.
    I explained why theses boxes are worth their price in my first posting here.

If anybody doesn't like to pay it he should simply let it be.
    Relying on illegal cloned products should and can't be the true reaction since it can only result in destroying the jobs of the people who are developing the original products, software and so on.

Since I can't see any further sense in this "discussion" here, the thread will be closed.

Grüße,
    Olove

"All we need to do ... is keep talking (Stephen Hawking)"

Ich leiste KEINEN Support per PN/E-Mail, derartige Anfragen werden nicht beantwortet.
    I won't give support via PN/E-Mail and I won't answer such messages.