800 wireless n

• i would love to give you some feedback, but haven't figured out how to install yet :frowning_face: sorry, i have very little knowledge of linux/unix.
    I am trying to install the wlan-rt2870_WPA_support_untested on a genuine dm800 with a nabi image - but there is no install command.

• very, very frustrating for a newbie. i have managed to get the build-ipkg script figured out but have discovered the busybox binary on the dreambox does not support the create functions in the "ar" command.

would really appreciate if a linux guru could help put the above driver in an ipkg format for me pls.

• I got the following info from "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices"

T: Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#= 2 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
    D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
    P: Vendor=7392 ProdID=7718 Rev= 0.01
    S: Manufacturer=Ralink
    S: Product=802.11 n WLAN
    C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr= 4mA
    I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 7 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=rt2870
    E: Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=03(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=04(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=05(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=06(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms

It means my EdiMax 7718 is being recognised right?

But iwconfig is not recognising the config.

ra0 RT2870 Wireless ESSID:""
    Mode:Auto Frequency=2.412 GHz
    Link Quality:10 Signal level:0 Noise level:113
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

help please.
    mucho grasias

• gmack, quite stuck here i am afraid.

i have tried to install both your drivers and get the same result.
    - i copied the files into the directories you specified.
    - i modified the rt2870sta.dat file for my specific config

- i type the command "modprobe rt2870sta" and the prompt simply returns.
    - i type the command "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices" and am returned: -

T: Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#= 2 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
    D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
    P: Vendor=7392 ProdID=7718 Rev= 0.01
    S: Manufacturer=Ralink
    S: Product=802.11 n WLAN
    C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr= 4mA
    I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 7 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=rt2870
    E: Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=03(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=04(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=05(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=06(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms

- i type the command "ifconfig" and am returned
    ra0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1F:1F:55:23:B7
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:2204 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:25 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:613302 (598.9 KiB) TX bytes:1872 (1.8 KiB)

- I go into the System, Network configuration and it only sees the eth0.
    - i restart the network and re-enter the System, Network configuration and it see eth0 (enabled) and ra0 (disabled)
    - i enable the ra0, and set the configuration (it does not recognise any configs in the dat file).
    - i scan the wireless lan and can see a number of networks including mine.
    (however, mine shows as 54Mg rather than 802.11n - which it is)
    - i save the setting without activating.
    - i disable the eth0 and activate the network settings
    the machine crashes with an Engima2 crash and then reboots.

Don't know if you did the original compiling of these drivers, but if so, there are new versions that may help?
    http://www.ralink.com.tw/support.php?s=2

Cheers
    gwaitsi

• Not having any luck here. removed both the rt73 and zd1211b drivers.
    found a site in Russian that said to add the following to the bootup file in etc\net.d between the echo 12 and 13 statements.

depmod -a
    modprobe rt2870sta
    depmod -Ae
    echo 13 > /proc/progress
    for mod in sr_mod sd_mod autofs4; do
    modprobe $mod
    done

didn't make any difference. Unit hangs on boot with or without this. eth0 get its dhcp address and ftp works, but telnet does not.
    have tried a number of images from Oct through to latest experimental.... no luck.

interestingly, removing the driver and restoring the bootup file. the unit remains with the same problem. i.e. boot gets stuck when the status bar is up to about the "T mark.
    In all of the above, it makes no difference whether or not the device is actually connected to the USB port or not.

starting to wonder why i made my dealer change the cl.ne he sold me for a real dm800 when there appears to be little to no support.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gwaitsi ()

• have finally gotten the drivers working.....seems when editing the files in windows, the LF were being converted to CRLFs.

i have one small problem remaining. when i start, the IP address assigned is 169.x.x.x
    i need to type
    ifdown -ra0
    ifup -ra0

then the correct ip address is assigned.

any assistance please

• I finally have my rt2870 "Wireless n" USB stick from Edimax EW-7718Un working.
    Given the lack of support i received from anyone, i am sharing my experience for those who stumble across these instructions. They should work for any rt2870 based USB stick.

If you are like me and know little about Linux and therefore, no doubt choose to edit/create files on windows rather than try and use vi, two things to remember; -
    a) you need to use an editor that allows saving with LFs instead of CRLFs (I use EditPad Pro - which also allows for conversions, etc)
    b) when you ftp files up, you need to remember to set their attributes (i use filezilla)

I have seen a number of drivers posted and the one below works (with no WPA support), the other driver posted with WPA support i could not get to work).
    http://www.dream-multimedia-tv…fa419a29450f925b0b751ca2c
    I have also read that these drivers may conflict with the rt73 drivers if installed - i did not find this a problem and still have my original stuff installed as-is.

Step 1
    download the drivers from the link above, posted earlier in this post.
    extract to your local drive and ftp the \lib directory to your dreambox - remember to set the attributes to 644 afterwards
    \lib\firmware\rt2870.bin
    \lib\modules\2.6.12-5.1-brcmstb-dm800\kernel\drivers\net\rt2870sta.ko

Step 2
    modify the rt2870sta.dat file enclosed with the key information below;
    CountryRegion=1 ; value should suite most of europe
    CountryRegionABand=1 ; value should suite most of europe
    SSID=MYWAN
    NetworkType=Infra
    WirelessMode=6 ; this value is 'n' only - see the iwpriv_usage.txt file for the options available
    AuthMode=WPA2PSK ; you need to set whether open or encrypted
    EncrypType=AES
    WPAPSK=MyPassWord
    -------- ; next add the following lines to the end of the file
    ONBOOT='yes'
    BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
    STARTMODE='auto'

copy the saved file to (case sensitive);
    \etc\Wireless\RT2870STA\rt2870sta.dat and set attribute to 644

Step 3
    add the following entry to \etc\modules.conf;
    alias ra0 rt2870sta

Step 4
    create the file \etc\rcS.d\S38wireless (case sensitive) ** Attributes need to be 755 for this to allow the recognisition at boot time.
    add the following lines;
    modprobe rt2870sta
    ifconfig ra0 inet dhcp up

Step 5
    edit the file \etc\network\interfaces and add the following entry to the end;
    # WLAN
    auto ra0
    iface ra0 inet dhcp

Step 6
    to set the WiFi card as the default, create the file \etc\default_gw and the entry;
    ra0

now in your telnet session, type "reboot"

Testing
    login as root and type;
    ifconfig
    you should see the "Wireless n" interface and card type etc listed.

type;
    iwconfig
    you should see the wireless lan settings on the card i.e. SSID name, encryption key, etc ** see my notes below.
    if you don't know what the dhcp address should be, you need to type the following as a work around;
    ifdown ra0
    ifup ra0
    iwconfig
    you should now see the "Wireless n" interface with an ip address.

*** Notes
    - iwconfig; doesn't seem to show the ip address (when using dhcp) after a reboot. however, the ip address is correctly set and does work (toggle down and up to refresh if you need to know)
    - iwpriv ra0 show; doesn't actually show the settings of the card
    - if you use a static ip address instead of dhcp, i believe the GATEWAY=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx needs to be in the rt2870sta.dat file above (but haven't tested)
    - this was done on a dm800 using info from a variety of sources, but should work on a 7025 as well.

Best of luck.... still can't stream HD smoothly over Wireless n though :frowning_face:

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gwaitsi ()

• Sorry, that i haven't looked at this for a long time :frowning_face: i could have helped you :smiling_face: I don't have a Dm800, i only borrowed it for a while.

I think that that the driver "wlan-rt2870_no_wpa_support.tar.gz" is named wrongly by me (if it's mine you use) it works with WPA, and is compiled if your systen dont have wpa support.

• Sorry, that i haven't looked at this for a long time :frowning_face: i could have helped you :smiling_face: I don't have a Dm800, i only borrowed it for a while.

I think that that the driver "wlan-rt2870_no_wpa_support.tar.gz" is named wrongly by me (if it's mine you use) it works with WPA, and is compiled if your systen dont have wpa support.

no drama. i used your driver and the one mentioned worked, where as the one marked untested didn't work. anyways, got it sorted and hopefully my write will help other non-linux people on their way.
    still strange that the iwconfig doesn't show the ip after startup, but it is actually working. don't know enough about linux to do that level of debugging.

• The one thing i did different is step 4.

My driver is complied on the source "2009_0521_RT2870_Linux_STA_V2.1.2.0.tgz" from ralink's web site. Now i'm trying to compile the latest
    source :smiling_face:

• The one thing i did different is step 4.

My driver is complied on the source "2009_0521_RT2870_Linux_STA_V2.1.2.0.tgz" from ralink's web site. Now i'm trying to compile the latest
    source :smiling_face:

my step 4. doesn't work with 2.7 release image, so i will try yours. if fact, the 2.1.2 drivers cause enigma to crash on the 2.7 release.
    i will try your step 4, on the 2.7 release to see if that fixes the auto start issues i am now having.
    i did try that on previously and it didn't work, but i should mention i had the N.12 image.
    best would be to have the drivers properly integrated with the configuration scripts of course.

• my step 4. doesn't work with 2.7 release image, so i will try yours. if fact, the 2.1.2 drivers cause enigma to crash on the 2.7 release.
    i will try your step 4, on the 2.7 release to see if that fixes the auto start issues i am now having.
    i did try that on previously and it didn't work, but i should mention i had the N.12 image.
    best would be to have the drivers properly integrated with the configuration scripts of course.

My step 4 does work with every image i have tested which is all of the most popular ones inc originals.
    key is S38 - must have 755 attributes, all others can be 644

• Guys,

Thank you for your support,

GWAITSI your explantion for a non-linux people is wondreful.

I purchased a Linksys WUSB100 and I will try your solution and feed Back

Regards

• None of the procedures work to get my SMC 801.XX adapter to connect to my network... I can setup static and the moment I unplug ethernet both links go down. Please help. :smiling_face:

• Hi,

I tried to follow the step by step instructions, but it doesn't work.

Modprobe returns following message:

modprobe: failed to load module rt2870sta (/lib/modules/2.6.18-7.3-dm800/kernel/
    drivers/net/rt2870sta.ko): invalid module format

Any ideas?

• Hey :smiling_face:

Would be nice with a input from Dream Multimedia on this topic - Will there be released a "build-in Enigma 2" driver for wireless N networkcards with gui-setup in the near future ?

Regards

MrForce :grinning_squinting_face: