DM800 experience

• I started installing a new DM800 on the 23 of December, and I have been getting the ”tuning failed” problem - and of course I have spent hours thinking there was something wrong with my setup or configuration, trying new images and so on and nothing has worked, it still appears every now and then when I change channels (a couple of times in a normal night), pretty much making the product completely useless even after having spent any number of unpaid hours trying to fix a brand new product I paid 500 Euro for.

And now I find out this is a known problem - yet DM has not informed me of this in any way with my purchase even though I got a late revision, a simple note acknowledging this with the machine could have saved me hours and hours of work. And if it is a known problem that can be solved by getting some particular switch as some here claim (but others say they have tried any number without success), why does not DM inform us which ones??? I mean we are talking about using the product for its most basic purpose - watching TV! I have tried any number of other boxes on my setup without any kind of problems.

Now, as if this was not upsetting enough, today I decided to get a new 2.5” SATA HD to be able to record with the product (if Dream Multimedia ever finds a solution to the tuning problem they decided I did not need to know about as they sold me the product).

Having built a number of HTPCs, I consider myself fairly apt at installing computers etc, but I was still surprised to find that there was no motherboard layout and no indication of the fact that you have to use the same SATA-port that is used for the eSATA port in the manual (as far as I could find).

Anyway, as I could find no other port, I figured that has to be it, and as I tried to get the short e-SATA cable out of the port, I find that it is kind of stuck, so I try to jiggle very carefully - and instead och the cable, the whole contact comes loose from the motherboard! It was not soldered in any way, and what is worse, three of the 7 very thin pins were broken, two were left in the contact that came loose and one was only just staying together on the motherboard. The ones that were broken (or broke as the contact came loose) were the three pins that are attacked to the motherboard with a 90 degree bend (one on the middle and two on the side).

Here is my question, is this the way it is supposed to be? Should not that SATA contact be soldered onto the board???

I mean everyone that wants to put an internal hard disk in the thing has to unplug the eSATA cable from the contact, and if it is not soldered on the board, it has to come off quite often, making it very hard to put back in place on the 7 extremely thin pins even if they were not broken as they were (or became) in my case. Perhaps they were broken when the contact was installed, and therefore they skipped soldering hoping no one would ever use it?

I have to say I have never ever experienced anything like this - a fairly expensive product in second revision that has been out for a while that has a problem that means it cannot be used for its very basic standard purpose for many standard setups - and then proves to have this kind of quality, hard to imagine in 2008…

What is Dream Multimedia doing and thinking? I will report back with how this is solved (and if this was they way it was supposed to constructed), today I am just too disappointed to spend even more of my Christmas holiday time on it after getting this off my chest. My spouse already says it has spoiled our Christmas since I have been working on it all the time - and yesterday when I finally got her down to watch a film with the new box - the “tuning failed” appeared as I switched to the HD channel, and then the box has to be rebooted (the GUI won't do) - so she left…

• An addition is that I just found this manual here:

http://www.dream-multimedia-tv…/user_manual_dm800_hd.pdf

On page 43 the info about hard disk installation starts - why was this not included in the manual or a side note with my second revision box???

Not that it changes anything for me - since I did exactly what the instruction there says since there were no other options - but still amazing to deliver a second revision product without any kind of info on how to install a basic thing like a HD for which the cables are even included…

Another update is that I have now looked at the SATA contact that came loose and the motherboard, and it appears the contact is meant to snap onto the mother board with tiny latches on the small guides that sit on each side of the seven pins. In my case obviously it hadn't since it came loose instead of the eSATA cable. Maybe it had not snapped in place because of the fact that the pins were broken during mounting of the contact in construction? Hard to say now.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Ulmerkotten ()

• An update.

Some of the frustration has subsided as I just spoke to a very helpful DM representative that told me the “tuning failed” problem can be remedied with a replacement tuner. It also sounded like the SATA-port problem was not complete news, and if I send it in for service it would be replaced.

Normally I would be very frustrated about sending a new product in for service and losing my ability to watch TV for a month just because of a production defect, but in this case, part of the story is that I ordered 7 boxes, so I may be able to use one of the other boxes until I get it back. They were intended for other use though and they are in another geographical location so I am not completely happy about it and still hope the dealer will help me with a replacement unit.

I am still frustrated about the fact that we, the customers, are not informed about the known problems with some tuners. It could have saved me hours of futile work this Christmas to have known this problem was out there, and I certainly feel DM should have made sure I got that information with my purchase.

Still, as always, a great service representative can take the edge of your bitterness, and if everything is taken care of in a similarly professional manner, I would probably be willing to go with DM again (I had been planning to buy more additional DM800s to the 7 I got in this batch). If I can get the basic functions up and running in a reliable manner, the machine will be great, as I love it when it works. If I can’t, and I instead have to live with it dying on me during standard TV watching, well then it is pretty useless.