Constant 16:9 aspect ratio in DM500

• I have a DM500C box and I use component output to my TV. Unfortunately WSS signals are not transmitted through component signal, so in order to view both widescreen and regular channels properly I would need to have a constant 16:9 output from my Drembox.

I have heard that other Drembox models support "Always 16:9" mode in which the box inserts black vertical pillboxes on 4:3 transmissions, thus converting the aspect ratio to 16:9. However, currently DM500 firmware does not support this option. Why not? Could support be added for this option in DM500?

• Hi,

the function "Pillarbox" or "Always 16:9" isn't implemented in the software for the Dreambox 500 as the hardware is not fast enough to recode the picutre in real time to this resolution. Only the hardware of the faster boxes (7000, 7020, 7025) is capable of this feature. Unfortunately, I don't know if the Dreambox 600 or 500+ (the newer version) are fast enough.

So the only solution for you would be, to put your TV to a zoom mode and the Dreambox to "16:9", so 16:9 is displayed correctly, but with less scanned lines. 4:3 would be cut at the top and bottom, but my experience is, that this doesn't matter, as in 99% of all cases one wouldn't lose any important information, just some station logos... :grinning_squinting_face:

Greets

Fragen gehören NICHT in mein Postfach, sondern sollten im Forum gestellt werden! Dann hat jeder was davon.
    ----------------
    Man tut, was man kann und stellt sich blöd an...

Dreambox 7000
    Dreambox 500
    Kathrein UFS 910

• Thanks for your answer!

That's pretty much what I was expecting. Finnish TV channels use subtitles that are mostly burned into the picture stream, because DVB subtitling is working badly or not working at all in most set-top boxes. Unfortunately Dreambox is doing as badly as other boxes in this respect. I can't use zoom/crop modes because the subtitles would be cropped.

I'll just have to keep using SCART output and wait for DM8000 and its HDMI or DVI output.