PPPoE and dm 7025

• Thanks for the answer, but it's not exactly what i needed, since the downloading of plugins and use of softwareupdate requires an box connected to the net.
    My internet provider doesn't allow a shared connection, so i need to connect the box directly to the web, wich means i must give an username an a password, just as connecting my PC.
    So, can this be done, i guess in a telnet session, and how ?

Thanks

• in the very early images (1.07.X) for dreambox 7000 there was support for pppoe ...
    i don't know why it was removed later.

you can check via telnet if you find the "adsl-start" and "adsl-stop" commands.

if they aren't available the images aren't compiled with pppoe support enabled.

cu

vale

• other possibility is, if you have two network interfaces on your pc. you can make a "bridge" and use your pc internet connection for the dreambox. for the provider it appears as only your pc beeing online.

or buy a router. providers normaly don't check what is behind a router and the router still just shows one ip-adress ...

i don't tink dream devs will enable pppoe support again. but probably compiling your own image you can activate the support.

greets

vale

• Zitat

Originally posted by vale
    other possibility is, if you have two network interfaces on your pc. you can make a "bridge" and use your pc internet connection for the dreambox. for the provider it appears as only your pc beeing online.

Bridging wouldn’t really work for point-to-point connections, such as PPPoE, but a one-to-many NAT (NAPT) would.

If the PPPoE connection is established from a Windows computer, one can use the built-in Internet Connection Sharing capability for sharing the connection to the rest of the home network. This requires two network adapters on the Windows computer: one for the Internet connection and another for the local network. (Internet Connection Sharing, or “ICS” for short, is basically a Microsoft term for NAPT + DHCP server.)

If the PPPoE connection is established from a Linux computer, the built-in netfilter/iptables firewall provides the same capability. Because the exact same thing must have a different name on each system, on Linux, NAPT is commonly called “IP masquerading”, in order to confuse beginners. Again, two network interface cards are needed (or at least recommended, or configuration goes a bit hairy.)

Zitat

or buy a router. providers normaly don't check what is behind a router and the router still just shows one ip-adress ...

Exactly. Many (all?) broadband routers provide a built-in PPPoE client, and NAPT + DHCP functionality as well. Sharing the PPPoE-based Internet connection using a broadband router is probably the best option, and as an added bonus, the OP doesn’t need to keep his computer running in order to access the network from the Dreambox.

• • •

The OP didn’t specify how his current “Internet PPPoE” connection works, exactly. Is the connection ADSL-based? Fiber? Cable modem? Old-fashioned POTS modem? ISDN? HomePNA? Or does he simply have an Ethernet (“RJ-45”) wall jack in his apartment, the other end of the cable going... somewhere?

What kind of equipment does he use for connecting to the Internet now? For example, does he have an ADSL modem or a cable modem? Or an ADSL card inside the computer? Or a USB-based ADSL modem? More information should be provided for getting better answers.

znark

5 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Jukka Aho ()

• Thanks for helping me.
    First i need to say that i'm living in RD Congo, more specific in Kinshasa.
    The PPOE connection I have is by mean of radio-waves, eg my computer is connected to an Midas modem, wich has a port for an telefone and an RJ45.
    This modem is connected to an antenna, a box of 15 cm by 20 cm.
    The speed of the connection is 35 kps and the cost is 125 us a month.

I have a D-Link 604 router wich normally can handle ppoe, bit not with my provider. In fact the provider don't alllow to share the connection in usual way, but it can be shared with appropriate software and configuration.

I tried to share the connection through the windows ICS but its not working.

The only thing i can do is connect one computer a time to the internet.

I could pay for the extra software and configuration, but since the connection is slow, i believe connecting one computer a time is a better solution. That brings me back to the original question.

Thanks

• Zitat

Originally posted by Rodajo
    I tried to share the connection through the windows ICS but its not working.

Do you have two network interface cards on your Windows PC?

znark

• Hello,

Just an follow up for maybe other people in the same situation.
    Finally the connection is working.
    The computer connected to the internet has two network cards, one is for the internet connection with provider and the other for local network.
    The PPPoe connection is shared and there is an switch connected to the second network card to have internet on a second computer and the dreambox.
    The problem was that i used a router to connect the second network card and the other items and there was an conflict with the fixed IP adres given by the ICS and router., 192.168.0.1. Changing this adres in the router configuration didn't worked.
    I have now an switch and this works well. When the dreambox or the other computer needs internet the dialing is made by the first computer.
    Thanks Jukka Aho for giving me the hints to go on.