SD-SDI mods with Dreamboxes

• Please provide some information about the hard- and software used.

Box type: 7020s
    GUI (enigma1/enigma2): enigma1
    Firmware version: default

your question

Hi,

I was wondering if the DM7020s (or any model for that matter) can take a SD-SDI mod? And/Or can you please let me know if the decoder and encoder (think A/D and D/A here) in DM7020 (or in forthcoming 8000) is integrated into 1 chip? or are they separated?

Note to mods for the avoidance of any misunderstandings: SD-SDI mod is not an illegal modification like one would do to games consoles. It is just a modification that by-passes D/A and A/D conversion so the signal stays in the digital domain giving superb picture. Please read below for more info!

For those that don't know what SDi is or stands for:
    SDI* is 4:2:2 YCbCr component video, exactly what comes out of a DVD player or as Satellite Receiver MPEG decoder.

The point of having a satellite receiver with SDI output is to remove one D/A* conversion and one A/D* conversion in the video chain to a scaler. For a scaler to de-interlace and scale interlaced video it must work in the digital domain, in a normal DVD player/Digital Sat Receiver the digital signal from the MPEG decoder must be converted to analogue video to be output as component video then digitised again as soon as it arrives in the scaler for processing.

By adding an SDI output connected directly to the MPEG decoder a pure 4:2:2 YCrCb signal can be sent straight to the scaler with no D/A or A/D conversion. This means no D/A or A/D conversion artefacts, higher frequency response, less picture noise, reduction in visible edge enhancement** and much improved colour saturation and purity.

All this does require a scaler with an SDI input, ie a Crystalio II, DVD VPx0 or Plasma Enhancer Pro scaler and get some of the best DVD/Sat images you will ever see. It is also worth noting that SDI carries no encryption or copy protection, DVI / HDMI does, SDI is just the raw digital picture information straight off the disc in the form that broadcast studio's have used for many years.

* SDI = Serial Digital Interface. A/D = Analogue to Digital conversion. D/A = Digital to analogue conversion.
    * SD-SDi = Standard Definition SDI
    * HD-SDi = High Definition SDI (I'm thinking Dreambox 8000 here :winking_face: )

Many thanks for your time in advance,

regards,

kopa13

• Zitat

Originally posted by cbroegger
    I have modded the 7000S with standard SDI output, I think the 7020 is similar.

Casper.

How you did it, you have pinout or some manual ehre to solder SDI ?