pc network setup problem

• Hi

On the 'old board' I would have posted this under English - Software - PC.

Anyway, can anyone give me a clue about this problem, please ?

I have a new laptop, which has a built in wireless network to my broadband router (Wanadoo Livebox), which works fine.

It also has a wired connection, and with a crossover cable I can connect to the Dreambox 7000S, which works fine.

But when I use the direct connection to the Dreambox, the laptop loses its Internet connectivity. The OS is XP Home SP2; the connection to the router is still OK, but the 'Internet gateway' icon in 'Network connections' has disappeared.

I also have USB wireless network interface which I have used to connect to the router - can I set up the Dreambox to use this to connect to the other PCs on the network ?

Thanks

John Robinson
    York, England.

John Robinson, York, England.

• Hi,,

I think I have discovered a satisfactory workaround.

In XP, 'Netwrok connections' panel, highlight both the wireless and wired connections, and create a 'network bridge'. Then the laptop can talk to the Dreambox and the internet OK.

The only problem is that if I remove the wired DB connection (eg, take the laptop to another room), then the network bridge will not work, and I can no longer see the internet.

I guess I can set up to hardware configurations, one for roaming, one for working with the dreambox, and select one of the two when I start XP.

Not perfect, but I can live with this.

If anyone has a better suggestion, please let me know.

John Robinson

John Robinson, York, England.