lost sky channels

• i am a techno moron my dm8oo hd pvr has lost 90% channels inc sky ,i have turned off and on ,no good ,what do i need to do ,all signal strengths look ok ber etc help.

• Are you sure that its 90% and not around 50% ?

Satellites transmit some channels on horizontal polarisation and some on vertical polarisation.
    These work on different voltages, 14 and 18 volts. If the power supply has failed on one voltage then you will only get the channels that are being transmitted on the voltage that is still working. The other thing it could be is the LNB failing on one polarisation but I would think its more likley to be the power supply.

If you go to one of the channels that are working then go to menu and then infomation then service then multiplex it will show you all the details for that channel including whether its polarisation is horizontal or vertical.
    Then go to a channel that you are no longer receiving and do the same and see if its the same or different polarisation. If its the same then I dont know what to suggest but if its different you need to get the power supply and/or LNB checked.

DM 8000 Beta Tester

• Hi, I'm having the same problem since last night. This is a 500 - S

Signal break up and on reboot - channels missing.

Did the suggested check and it's the Vertical polars which have gone. As a SKY box is working fine on all channels, I assume it's not the LNB???

The power supply is a Chinese 12V 1Amp adaptor - is this the first thing to be replaced? I guess it's around 7 years old.

• Like Smiffy above, I'm a tech moron also.

My problem is that here in the mountains of Spain - everybody is a tech moron and there's nobody local to talk to.

All I know is that I've replaced the DB with a Sky decoder and all channels are working. To me - this points at the DB being the problem.

For example, ITV1 London (vertical polarisation) went but I found other ITV 1s with horizontal polarisation do work. More 4 (verrtical) went but More 4 + 1 (horizontal) works - same for Movies for Men and the +1. Everything that's gone is vertical polarised.

This kinda fits with sandra51's diagnosis but I wont know till I can replace the power supply. Unless there's other possibilities..........

• Hi Jason,
    It does sound like the power supply. To check it, if you have a voltmeter, you can remove the coax plug from the box and place the probes of a voltmeter on the outer part and the inner part, you will probably need a thin wire to fit on the inside, make sure you dont short them together. You should get a reading of 14v on one polarisation and a reading of 18v on the other. Just set it to a channel you know that you get and check the voltage then to one you no longer get and check that one too.
    If you havent got a meter they only cost £4 or £5 for one thats good enough, its cheaper than buying a new power supply and quicker to check it too.

DM 8000 Beta Tester

• There's no shortage of Chinese shops out here where I can pick up a cheap power supply and maybe a Voltmeter - not sure on the Voltmeter - bit hi tech for round these parts.

I'll get on it next week and report back - the SKY box is fine for now.

Thanks.

• Hi,

OK checked voltages as follows:

Horizontal channels we receive and voltage is 18.3V

Vertical we are not receiving measure at 13.3 to 13.4V Does this indicate a fault in the supply?

I've also noticed that the channels we are receiving are taking a minute or two to appear - no signal message displayed which is a new thing.

Any help appreciated. Thanks