Connect Dreambox 7020S to computer via ethernet

• I would like to copy recordings from the internal hard drive on my Dreambox 7020S to my MacBook Pro laptop simply using an ethernet cable.

Could somebody kindly explain how to establish the connection using language which is not too technical? I can understand German.

• I have never used a MAC but assuming it can use an FTP client program the same way that a windows pc can then you should be able to FTP the files across.

On windows I use Filezilla FTP client which is a free one and works well between linux boxes and windows pcs.

I just had a look on their site and they do a MAC version so it should work.

http://filezilla-project.org/

Just install and add your DMs LAN IP address and username and password into the settings and when you connect the computer shows in the left window and the DM in the right window. Go the the folder on your computer where you want to save the files to in the left window and go to the hard drive in the right window and drag the files across.

Thats all there is to it.

If you have any problems post again :smiling_face:

DM 8000 Beta Tester

• Thanks for your suggestion, Sandra. I downloaded FileZilla and filled in the fields at the top of the screen as follows:

• Host: ftp://10.0.0.97 (the IP shown at the top of the Communication setup screen of my DM's Expert Setup);
    • Username: root (the default for the DM);
    • Password: dreambox (the default for the DM);
    • Port: 80 (shown at the bottom of the Communication setup screen of my DM).

However, when I clicked the "Quickconnect" tab, FileZilla "could not connect to server". I got the same result using a Windows 7 laptop, so it is not due to using a Mac.

Could you please tell me what I did wrong? :confused_face:

• I think its probably because you have used the quick connect rather than set up the connection using the site manager first. Depending on which server type and logon you need to have something in front of the IP address when you do it that way.

Go to File and then open the Site Manager, click on My Sites in the left window then on New Site.

Put your IP address in host, port 80 although that doesnt seem to matter if using standard FTP, Server Type should be FTP- File Transfer Protocol and Logon Type change to Normal, default is anonymous. ( This being set to anonymous is almost certainly why its not working )

Put your user and password in and click connect and that should work fine this time.

I usually right click on the new site and rename it as whichever box I am setting up but if you only have the one box you can leave it as New Site.

Once the info is in there you can then use the quick connect boxes but you need to put ftp://your.box.lan.ip as the host, if using that method.

As I have a couple of boxes connected and sometimes do them for other people, I find it quicker to click on the drop down arrow just below File and that opens and shows me a selection of the names of the sites I have set up so I can just click on the name of the one I want and it connects.

Hope thats sorts it out OK, if not get back to me :smiling_face:

DM 8000 Beta Tester

• Following Sandra's instuctions and using a laptop running Windows 7 to connect to the Dreambox, I input the following in the general settings of FileZilla's site manager:

Host: 192.168.1.34 (shown on the front pannel after connecting the DM to Residential Wireless ADSL2+ Gateway and turning it on while holding the channel down button down)
    Port: (I left this blank, but even using 21 I got the same result)
    Server Type: FTP
    Logon type: Normal
    User: root (the default, which I have never knowingly changed)
    Password: dreambox (the default, as above. Not using any password did not change the result)

The response was:
    Error: Connection timed out
    Error: Could not connect to server
    Error: Could not connect to server

The Communication setup window in the Dreambox's Expert Setup has the following data:
    IP: 192.168.1.34 The DHCP box is not ticked.
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    Type: LAN (the only type shown in the drop-down list)
    Nameserver: 192.168.1.1
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (the address of the Residential Wireless ADSL2+ Gateway)
    The enable Network box is ticked and the port box shows 21.

I checked whether the ethernet cable worked by using it with other equipment and there were no problems.

I would be grateful if anyone could tell me what to do. :loudly_crying_face:

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von antsy ()

• You said that the LAN IP of the dreambox was 10.0.0.7 yet today its 192.168.1.34 :confused_face:

Did you connect an ethernet cable directly from your laptop to the DM, without using the router on monday as the 10 IP range is sometimes used by ad hoc networking but if you did that then you would need a crossed ethernet cable not a straight or patch cable.

Somethings changed since your last pm to me as you are now getting the IP address showing in the front panel so we are getting somewhere slowly but surely.

I think the problem has to be the user name and password not being correct.

I suggest you download DCC from this page and that should test your connection and show if your password and usernames are correct.

http://www.bernyr.de/

DM 8000 Beta Tester

• Dear Sandra, I will explain the change of IP address: I could not get a connection using 10.0.0.7, so I disconnected the DM from the TV and connected it using the ethernet cable to the router two floors above. It was then possible to get the IP address 192.168.1.34 from the DM front panel. I manually input this address in the DM's communication setup screen (having unticked the DHCP box). I then again tried unsuccessfully to connect to the DM with FileZilla (as explained in my last message).

I had not realised that there were different types of ethernet cables, forgive my techie ignorance ;(. I have ordered one which is crossed so that I try to get a direct connection without having to use the router upstairs.

In the mean time, I connected both the DM and the laptop to the router. I input the 192 IP in FileZilla and got the following response:
    Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
    Response: 220 Welcome to the OpenDreambox FTP service.
    Command: USER root
    Response: 331 Please specify the password.
    Command: PASS ********
    Response: 230 Login successful.
    Command: SYST
    Response: 215 UNIX Type: L8
    Command: FEAT
    Response: 211-Features:
    Response: EPRT
    Response: EPSV
    Response: MDTM
    Response: PASV
    Response: REST STREAM
    Response: SIZE
    Response: TVFS
    Response: 211 End
    Command: PWD
    Response: 257 "/"
    Command: TYPE I
    Response: 200 Switching to Binary mode.
    Command: PASV
    Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,34,213,126)
    Command: LIST
    Response: 150 Here comes the directory listing.
    Response: 226 Directory send OK.

In the middle of the left side of the FileZilla screen there is a box with the heading "Remote site:" and a folder which can be expanded giving a list of sub-folders with question marks on them called bin, boot, dev, etc, hdd, home, lib, media, mnt, proc, sbin, share, sys, tem, usr and var. Details of these 16 folders are given in another box just below.

Could you please tell me whether this is what I should be getting and, if so, where I can find the data of the recordings made on the hard disk of the DM?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von antsy ()

• Thats great, we have it connecting now.

The Local site on the left is your computer, you can browse through the folders in the top part for quick access and that folder and its subfolders will show in the main left window. The Remote site on the right is your Dreambox.

In the right hand window, the lower one, you have all those folders that you listed.

Double click on the folder called HDD to open it, you will see a mesage at the top of the screen saying retrieving directory listing, this could take a few seconds to open.

Now in the folder you will see a few more subfolders and logfiles. One of the folders is called Movies. Double click on that to open it.

All your recordings are listed in there.

Each recording will have 4 files but the one you want is the largest file and will have the file extension .ts with nothing after it.

In the left hand window find the folder or make a new one, on your pc where you want to copy the film to and have that folder opened.

Then just drag the .ts file from the right window to the left one.

There is a small window at the bottom of filezilla which will show the transfer starting and its progress and how long it will take.

Once its transferred you can close filezilla or transfer another recording.

Hope that explains it all clearly enough but if you have any questions just ask again :smiling_face:

DM 8000 Beta Tester

• When I double-clicked the "movie" folder in the "hdd" folder (the others being "lost+found" and "usr") in the lower right-hand window, I got the following message:
    Command: CWD movie
    Response: 250 Directory successfully changed.
    Command: PWD
    Response: 257 "/media/hdd/movie"
    Command: PASV
    Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,34,182,81)
    Command: LIST
    Response: 150 Here comes the directory listing.
    Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

What would you recommend I do to be able to open the movie folder?

• I am afraid that has got me beat at the moment :confused_face:

I cant see any reason why it should time out before listing the contents of the movie folder and allowing you to transfer them to your pc.

Can anyone else think of why this is happening ?

DM 8000 Beta Tester

• It seems that FileZilla cannot deal with "non-English" letters within the folder which it is opening. So I replaced all such letters (ö, é, etc) with ones without accents. FileZilla was then able to open the movie folder, giving me the list of movie files.

Each recording I made on the DM had several files of different types: EIT, MPEG-2 TS Video, 001 File, 002 File (and in one case up to 011 File) and even an EPL in one case.

As an example:
    ftp://root@192.168.1.34/media/hdd/movie/title_of_recording.eit (file size 2,052)
    ftp://root@192.168.1.34/media/hdd/movie/title_of_recording.ts (file size 1,073,741,696)
    ftp://root@192.168.1.34/media/hdd/movie/title_of_recording.ts.001 (file size 1,073,741,696)
    ftp://root@192.168.1.34/media/hdd/movie/title_of_recording.ts.002 (file size 695,080,368

Another example, this time of the EPL file, aparently not one of the recorded movies:
    ftp://root@192.168.1.34/media/hdd/movie/recordings.epl

What should I do to copy a movie which I can play on the laptop and burn to a dvd?

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von antsy ()

• I am pleased that you managed to work out what the problem was at last, its handy to know for future reference :smiling_face:

The only files you need to transfer to the laptop to play on it and to burn to DVD are the .ts ones. You dont need the EIT or EPL ones, they must be something to do with how the dreambox identifies and arranges them.

You should be able to play the .ts files on your laptop with most media players, I tend to use VLC as I like the interface.

If you have Nero then you can use Nero Vision to burn the .ts file or files to make a DVD that will play on a stand alone TV DVD player, other burning programs will also do it.

The reason you are getting the .ts + .ts.001 + .ts.002 files is that your dreambox is limiting the size to a maximum of 1gig. On my TM9100 there was an option to change the maximum recording size so that I could have a single .ts file for each film. My DM 8000 just records as a single .ts file. I dont know if you have the option on the DM 7020 to allow it to make bigger .ts files or not but if it does you could increase the limit so that you would have a single file to transfer, view and burn. If not it doesnt matter as Nero Vision will add the files together and make a DVD from them.

DM 8000 Beta Tester