New DM8000 internal DVD connection

• Hi,

My latest batch of DM8000 does not have the USB-SATA adapter inside for the DVD :confused_face:
    Can anyone confirm that we can now use the internal 2nd SATA connector?

Rgs, Mark.

• Dear satstore,

pls confim that your new DM8000HD has 3 build in SATA port o/b.
    2 of them next to the smartcard reader.
    The left one (next to the DVD metal frame) is the 1st hdd SATA port
    Pls connect your DVD device to the right one (next to the hdd/fan metal frame)
    That´s the only SATA port offering DMA
    You can use the 3rd SATA port for an other hdd. You will find it next to the fan connector.

Never use one of the hdd SATA ports for your DVD burner device.
    Best regards

MfG

BeCo-EDV / Visoduck Abholservice Berlin

**************************************************************************************************************
    DM8000HDssss/DM500HD/DM800HD
    **************************************************************************************************************

• Thank you for your reply, yes these have the 3 SATA ports as you describe.

So we fit the DVD to the right hand connector (nearest the hard disk)

and the HDD to the left hand connector (nearest the DVD), or the one by the fan,

is that correct ?

Regards, Mark.

• Hello all,

I found this over on the German forums that might be helpful - a photo of main board marked up.

http://www.dream-multimedia-tv…9607bba15163a0ddb9f1070ae

It seems this dealer I bought my box from didn’t know about the new MB with 3x SATA and proceeded to connect the DVD drive to the single SATA connector nearest to the power supply.

(First question - what are the possible repercussions of doing this? Could it kill the drive or worse the board?) Answer after solution - apparently no everything worked.

After figuring out the connection needed changing by spending some time translating the German forums I proceeded to make the change, bought myself a null modem and re-flashed the Original DM 2.8.4 firmware as I read it needed a re-flash to correctly recognise/install the DMA support (Second question – Is this correct/confirmed?).

I am now in a position where my DM8K sees the hardware, mediascanner detects the DVD, I can use media player to view the vob files on disk. But it will not play a DVD using the DVDPlayer. I have tried a few Original DVD’s including the LOTR series.

The disk goes in, DM8K detects DVD, press 1 or OK to play and I see a few plashes from the DVD drive light, the DVD title text is on the front display but the play time stays at -0:00:00 and the DVD goes to idle and spins down.

I have tried the DVD drive out of the DM8K in case it was a long fixing screw hitting any moving parts inside. No change.

I have mounted the drive on a windows machine to ensure the Region code was set and not blank as I read this may also have something to do with it and to be honest I was getting a little desperate.

As a last shot test I also tried a SATA to USB adapter connected to the internal USB port in front of the power supply. The same issue continued here after a reboot the discs are again detected, can browse files on the disc, yet no playing.

My fear is that possibly there mistake may have done damage I can’t fix, would a knowledgeable reader provide answers to some or all of my questions? I would be very grateful.

Thanks for reading.

8 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Adski ()

• Very simple answer... DM8000 required installation of libdvdcss, I used v2.1 Finaly found a ipk version ftp'd it to the "tmp" folder in the root

telnet into box

cd / (enter)
    ipkg install /tmp/nameofyourfile.ipk

Restart and DVD's are working. Great :smiling_face:

Hope this helps at least 1 more person. Thanks for reading.