Configuring the bootloader to default tftp

• Please provide some information about the hard- and software used.

Box type: Dreambox 500C
    GUI (enigma1/enigma2): 1
    Firmware version:

your question

Hi all,
    I'm new to the forum, but I hope someone can help. I'm wondering if it's possible to modify the OpenBIOS bootloader to boot by TFTP/NFS before trying from flash. At the moment, I've got my DM 500C set up to boot from a tftp and nfs server. It works great, but to stop it defaulting to flash everytime it boots, I've had to deliberately corrupt the first bit of the CRAMFS block. It works fine, but I really want to be able to use the box even when my nfs server is down (which it was this morning).

Is the source code available for the bootloader? I think it should be, since it's OpenBios, and therefore subject to the GPL. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Anyway, thanks in advance

Ben

• Thanks for the reply.
    I was under the impression that flashwizard was only for dreamboxes with external storage, like the 7025. As I understand it, flashwizard puts a small 'extra bootloader' on the flash space, which then boots the actual image you want from either usb/hdd or maybe nfs. Since the 500C doesn't have any external storage connections, this would just leave NFS. Am I understanding things right?

Would a normal image still be able to be flashed onto a 500C? Surely this would overwrite the flashwizard?

I'm probably wrong, but I'd like confirmation before I potentially brick my dreambox :frowning_face:

Cheers

Ben

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von beady ()

• Yes you're right.

Flashwizard is just a tool that adds multiboot to a normal Image in the flash.

If you install a new Image into flash, you'll have to reinstall flashwizard.

cu

floh

• Great,
    Thanks for the info. I was just a bit worried that it might mess around with the bootloader, but from what you say it doesn't. Do you know how multiboot really works? The only way I can imagine it working is by installing a tiny kernel in the CRAMFS partition, but then that would mess up the 'flash image' image. I don't get it.

Thankyou for all your help, and I'll let you know how I get on.

• An update:
    I installed flashwizard, but it doesn't really work as I would like. As far as I can see, it inserts an extra program at boot, after the kernel is loaded, during the 'init' script. I would like to be able to boot either flash or nfs before this point. Once the kernel is loaded it's too late.(I'm playing around with different kernel modules/builtin features). So far I think that modifying the bootloader is the only way. I'd appreciate any ideas.