How to change subtitle text color?

• Sorry but many people are asking for this...
    Even cheap boxes for $50 have proper subtitles...

Dreambox 8000CC, Epson TW3200 with Euroscreen Black Grey 86", Pioneer VSX-1017, AMD A8-3850, OpenSUSE 12.1, EeePC 900, Xbox, Playstation 3

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Leatherface ()

• Here is an updated patch for proper linebreaks on TTX subtitles for cvs 20090711. Instructions are the same as before, but added known issues.

Note to skin makers!
    New required attribute "lineHeight" added to Subtitle_TTX <sub> element in skin.xml.
    Enigma will most likely crash if lineHeight-attribute is not in the skin.
    The lineHeight attribute should be set to something like 1,2 * font size, to make it look good. (Any less, and letters like g, j and y might get clipped.)

An example!
    Wrong:

Code
    <sub name="Subtitle_TTX" font="Regular;30" shadowColor="#40101010" shadowOffset="3,3" />

Correct:

Code
    <sub name="Subtitle_TTX" font="Regular;30" shadowColor="#40101010" shadowOffset="3,3" lineHeight="36" />

As before, <SubtitleDisplay> should be fullscreen (size="720,576" for SD skins and size="1280,720" for HD skins and so on).

Changes in this patch:

• Adds line breaks to Teletext-subtitles
    • Requires lineHeight-attribute on Subtitle_TTX <sub> element in skin.xml

Known issues:

• Patch not tested on TTX hard of hearing subtitles. It will most likely mess up (or even remove) some of the TTX hard of hearing subtitles, if they usually contain more than two lines of text. This apparently is the case with Sky (UK).
  • stop the yelling already

Now thats the company procedure to motivate helpful, skilled people willing to make Dreambox a better product than it is today?

Back to the subject in hand: i know every E2 Dreambox user in Finland (and Sweden, Norway, Denmark too i bet) wants to see fully working subtitles.

• It's hard for people in countries that is dubbing everything to understand how important subtitles is for people...
    Everyone in nordic countries wants better subtitles and probably other countries as well...
    And for people that says that DVB subtitles is better that is not true...
    With teletext i can choose what font, size, color etc i want on the subtitles...
    With DVB subtitles that is not possible and i dont want channels to choose how my subtitles looks...
    Here in sweden most channels that not have burned in subtitles have Teletext subtitles..
    Skinnable subtitles is fixed now and that is good but that is useless until proper linebreaks is fixed...

Dreambox 8000CC, Epson TW3200 with Euroscreen Black Grey 86", Pioneer VSX-1017, AMD A8-3850, OpenSUSE 12.1, EeePC 900, Xbox, Playstation 3

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Leatherface ()

• Indeed we need a proper linebreak fix and as a glammar outbounded fonts...

But the two line patch is nog a good fix. Sometimes (here in the Netherlands) we have even three lines. And this patch is nog prepared to this. In addition the (36) lineheight is a durty tricky fix, which may lead even to crashes of enigma in case the 0 is choosen.

Therefore I beleive DMM will not commit this patch into git.

• I agree that the patch should be modified to work with more than 2 lines...
    But i don't understand why channels have have more than 2 lines in subtitles...
    I have never seen that on any channel here atleast...

You can already use any TTF font you want so i don't see any problem there...
    I don't see any problem with a lineheight setting either but ofcourse you need to add it in the skin or atleast in skin_default.xml...
    Maybe things can be done better to get this to work so i don't care if Gusax patch is used or if they fix it themself... only we will get working subtitles...
    Some people wants transparent black backgrounds in the subtitles also but personally i don't want that so an option for that would propably make people happy...

9 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Leatherface ()

• Just to let you guys at DMM know it's not just a few people who wants this.
    The way linebreaks are implemented today isn't the way we want it.
    Please adjust your code to get proper linebreaks.

-Mac

• Yes we are many who want black semitransparent background in the subtitles both in TTX-text and DVB-text. If you can choose foont, font size, font colour, background colour, % transparent, in a meny would be best so that everyone can choose as they like.

• Txt-subtitle bug with the enigma2 - 2.6git20090823-r0

PS. *.ts file available upon request.

Elmo

When are we going to get a fix for this subtitle problem? It is indeed really annoying, that multiline subtitles are placed all over the screen.

Thus it is nice to know, that the text color can be changed.

• and still no proper linebreaks.
    If it's hard to get it working for all people we could have an linebreak=0|1 option to turn linebreaks on/off.
    That should work for everyone...

• When are we going to get a fix for this subtitle problem? It is indeed really annoying, that multiline subtitles are placed all over the screen.

Thus it is nice to know, that the text color can be changed.

The subtitle lines are printed to the screen with vertical centering. Align the text to the bottom instead, I think that fixed the problem when I tried to work out my two lines patch (which has been rejected btw). The code is in esubtitle.cpp (this text taken from my patched version so use a bit of imagination)

Code
    painter.renderText(shadow, element.m_line1, gPainter::RT_WRAP|gPainter::RT_VALIGN_CENTER|gPainter::RT_HALIGN_CENTER);

Change gPainter::RT_VALIGN_CENTER to gPainter::RT_VALIGN_BOTTOM or gPainter::RT_VALIGN_TOP. Or remove it, I don't really remember :frowning_face:
    You might have to move the subtitle rectangle up or down in the skin. Double check if it messes with the dvb subtitles when you do so.

• You must have linux and then build the whole OE enviroment and compile enigma2 yourself with that patch.
    You can't just put in in the box.
    Can't understand why DMM is ignoring this subtitle problem that even the most cheapest boxes can handle.

• This is still irritating... not only for teletekst subtitles currently also the graphic DVB subtitels are too long on the screen. The color/linebrake issue should be fixed...

But the fix posted here is also tricky. I analyzed the code and conclude In fact you should create for each line a new element (and not put two lines to an element). In the element we can store one line that can exists of more words (BBC) if they are on the same element line, so first search for if the line already exists before adding a new element.

And when a new page started all elements should be cleared... (all in subtitles.cpp). In esubtitles.cpp we must get through all elements and post it on a position depended on the line position. I think this will make proper subtitles and also possible to put each line in a different color. (one color per line not per word).

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Littlesat ()

• Maybe you should try to fix this and see if DMM accepts it.