Clock on the screen

• I heard a lot of people talking about problems with the on screen clock. Apparently, enigma2 is reading the time from the provider and using it as the clock on the screen instead of the systems clock.

I do not know whether this is a feature or a bug, I still think that it is smart to know the time according to the provider to match with the EPG, but many people think that it is really not good specially those who are sometimes watching channels that has no time.

Could any enigma2 expert tell how the time is read on enigma2 and the mechanism behind that. I'm thinking of making a plugin that allow the customer to configure enigma2 to read the time from the provider OR from the system.

cheers.

• Additional:
    with 'time from provider' laith.said means in the previous posting the transpondertime.

Enigma2 updates frequently the time, which is displayed on the screen, with the transpondertime. Normally this is good as long as you watch to channels which have the same transponder time as the timezone you are living in.

However, when you live in a timezone (f.i. GMT+2) where the time differs with the tranpondertime (f.i.GMT+1) then you have always the wrong time at your screen.

Therefor I support the request of laith.said.

• Guys, is this:

• Not an interesting subject?
    • Not a problem for you?
    • Very complicated issue?
    • Very simple that you think I should find it myself?
    • or what?

Please leave your reply even if you do not know that answer ... thanks

• I think you are completely wrong. When you set your time zone, the time displayed on your screen is graped from the provider then it gets calculated according to your time zone. Please correct me if I am wrong.

• Hi 4iphone,

I cannot say that you are right or wrong, but I can say that the behavior you mentioned on your post is not what we observe.

What people observe is that when they are running with channels that provide time, but on a timezone different than where they live, then the clock on the screen is changed to the time from provider and stay there.

It seems that there is a little bug there.

• There is no bug,

Dreamboxes uses transponder-time. Transponder-time is always UTC and never depends on any timezones.
    The problem is : some exotic providers are not able to read the DVB-Specs and sending wrong transponter-time-format (e.g. localtime) :frowning_face:

DM8000HD | DM7020HD | DM800HD | DM800HD | DM7020 | DM7000

• Ok, that clarify the problem.

The question is, why is it hard-coded in the dreambox to read transponder-time always? Why can the user not choose between system-time (configured) or transponder-time (automatic received)

i.e. by practice, we can see that the way it is implemented in the dreambox is not satisfactory, as it is not always working.

When I have a dreambox on my living room, and it has a clock, I would like to use this clock. More important, I want to rely on this clock to configure the recording timers. With the current implementation, the clock is not reliable.

Do you agree?