DM800 Problems from hell

• On 7th August, I got my DM800, and I immediately had problems with it:

Tuner would not FIND any services at all when scanning, so this was sent back to DMM for fixiing.

Last week I got it back, along with a link to the second-stage patch. I connected the DM800 directly to an LNB and it worked GREAT, so I bought a switch and connected 4 LNBs.

Now, problems from hell are back. I have tried several images, with more or less the same errors, as follows:

1. Changing channels that are on different satellite gives me "cannot tune error". After 10 seconds or so the channel does tune.

2. Sometimes, doing the above results in a worse problem - no matter where I put it, it gives "cannot tune" error. Only a full restart would fix this.

3. Sometimes when I switch the DM800 on, it does not display a picture on the TV, and the LCD on the DM800 stays "booting" for ever - nothing happens.

4. Sometimes I select an HD channel, I get sound but no picture. So I put it back onto a normal channel and back to the same HD channel - then it works ok.

5. Yesterday this weird thing happened: under satellites list (I have Thor, Eutelsat, Astra, Hotbird) - Astra satellite list disappeared and I had two THOR satellite lists instead.

6. Sometimes I am watching a channel, and then all of a sudden the SNR drops down a lot - I get freezes and boxes for 5 minutes or so - then it returns back to normal as if nothing happens.

I have contacted DMM and they told me to do this:

1. Change the PSU (I tried, no difference)
    2. Change the DiseqC settings with repeated commands and so on - I did, but no much difference.

Any ideas what I could do to solve above problems before send it AGAIN to DMM?

Thanks

E'Blue

• I have seen this kind of behaivour once before on a dm7025.

After testing and testing, change of dm7025 and switches, we found the real source of problem. It was all LNB's that where the culprit of the problem. We changed all LNB's and after that everything worked as it should.

So, dont be so hasty to blame DMM afterall you have not tested with other LNB's.

• Zitat

Originally posted by weegull

So, dont be so hasty to blame DMM afterall you have not tested with other LNB's.

If a standard DVB-S receiver can handle this switch and LNB's, one can certainly blame DMM for not specifying the special requirements a person needs to make this receiver work in a proper manner.

Second of all, a "Tune failed" is perfectly possible when there is no signal for some reason, but it is not acceptable that the tuner stops working after that and a complete reboot is required.

It's like having to reboot your PC each time when you visit a website that is unavailable.

• Ok, so I got my DM800 back. DMM did nothing to it except 'software update' (it did have the latest Enigma so I don't know if that even counts as anything)... In the meantime I have changed my DiseqC switch from a cheap one to a Spawn (not that the spawn is particularly expensive, anyway)...

Here are some updates:

"1. Changing channels that are on different satellite gives me "cannot tune error". After 10 seconds or so the channel does tune."

This problem is 100% gone.

"2. Sometimes, doing the above results in a worse problem - no matter where I put it, it gives "cannot tune" error. Only a full restart would fix this."

This problem is 100% gone.

"3. Sometimes when I switch the DM800 on, it does not display a picture on the TV, and the LCD on the DM800 stays "booting" for ever - nothing happens."

Has not happened yet, but it seems that this is a software problem which will be fixed in the future.

"4. Sometimes I select an HD channel, I get sound but no picture. So I put it back onto a normal channel and back to the same HD channel - then it works ok."

This still happens, this could be related to software problem. Only happens occasionally though.

"5. Yesterday this weird thing happened: under satellites list (I have Thor, Eutelsat, Astra, Hotbird) - Astra satellite list disappeared and I had two THOR satellite lists instead."

Has not happened again.

"6. Sometimes I am watching a channel, and then all of a sudden the SNR drops down a lot - I get freezes and boxes for 5 minutes or so - then it returns back to normal as if nothing happens."

Has not happened so far. I guess this is a diseqc related problem, and now that I changed to Spawn, its been fixed.

So, if you have any tuner problems, change the diseqc switch to SPAWN, of course this is not ideal (it should not happen in the first place), but DMM will *NOT* change your tuner.

Hope this will be beneficial to other people having problems out there.

• no, it is tuner problem(maibe spaun is less sensitiv)

i conected two dreams(tuned to same transponder) to one LNB
    dream1<----dream2<----LNB
    time at time bouth had signal loss, but when one is in standby then signal were ok

i have fixed by other way problem "1. Changing channels ......."cannot tune error"...."
    i have add diseq switch 4x1 between dm800 and switch 10x1
    dm800<----Switch4x1(protocol 1.0)<----Switch10x1(protocol 1.1)<----10xLNBs

• So if the tuner in DM800 is not that sensitve....

1. Why dont DMM admit it? I will save loads of bashing on the forums

2. The Tuner on the DM800 is plug and play. Can I buy another tuner and replace it?

• This problem happens sometimes, maybe someone can tell me what is it about:

I select an HD channel, and the picture is 'choppy' with some freezing - I then put it on another channel, and again on the same HD channel and it works fine. Sometimes I have to change channels a few times so it works.

Any idea what the problem is?

• When I boot my new Dreambox 800 I see on my tv the picture of a small boat on the beach, then the menu shows up en immediately afterwards a message appears: "Tune failed" and the menu disappears. The picture still stays on the screen but no menu, nothing. What can I do?

• I am having same problems as original poster I have dish pointed at 13e 19.2e 28.5e and on the fourth switch I want to put on my moterized
    dish
    Only a slight differnce to original poster is that I cannot get any 2 birds at the same time, I have no ordered a spaun 4x1 switch hopeing that will help

• got my spaun 4/1 switch now lnb's pointing to 13e 19.2e and 28.2e work brilliantly only problem I am having is that I can not get to work moterized dish.
    When I first put on the spaun switch and set settings for diseqc 1.2 on dm800 I could get to move my dish on service searching/postioner setup by searching west/east or move west/east, but now for some reason I cant get it to move eventho I have not changed any settings in service searching
    any idea why im haveing these problems

• Regarding original post and @ original poster
    I have problems 2, 3,5
    (Using latest Pli jade image.)

and i was wondering if you could possibly tell me what image DMM gave you so that perhaps if i install it i can see the damn black box working as it should be.

I miss my old 600 it was so much better than this one. i got a new one for home before i moved to the states and this thing has brought me nothing but problems.
    I would aim the satellite have signal and then i would go inside and the tuner wouldnt see any services. unplug/replug the tuner works...

btw.
    i have one more problem.
    If i unplug the DM800 and replug it not all of the times it will restart. Sometimes I have to unplug/plug 5 times before it actually works. anyone has this problem?

• Zitat

If i unplug the DM800 and replug it not all of the times it will restart. Sometimes I have to unplug/plug 5 times before it actually works. anyone has this problem?

Yes everyone has it :winking_face:

Solution: Be very quick! Plugin, unplug and plugin the cable again in less then a second or wait 10-20s before you plugin the power-cable again. The box doesn't like it when you remove power cable for a few seconds. Be very quick or very slow :smiling_face:

I prefer the "very quick solution". If it does not want to start ... plugin, unplug, plugin in less then a second and it will always boot :smiling_face:

Theorie ist, wenn man alles weiß, aber nichts funktioniert.
    Praxis ist, wenn alles funktioniert aber niemand weiß warum.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Homey ()

• if you are in north america, using "not dmm image", may be you should go to north american forum.
    which sat / provider/s are you watching?
    [Moderator] verstößt gegen die Boardregeln [/Moderator]
    what have you been able to actually see on tv so far?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von floh ()