DM800 Start-up Problem

• I bought a DM800 a couple of days ago. If I unplug the box from mains and I re-plug it, it will not start. I have to try plugin-unplugins about 10 times to make it start. More specifically:

If you unplug the box and then you re-plug it will not start, no matter how long you wait (I've waited for over 1 minute). You have to "power-cycle" the box several times -maybe 10- to make it start.

I have noticed that when it fails to start it may (sometimes it happens, sometimes not) light up a few lines of the OLED display for a fraction of a second. Moreover, I believe that it may have to do with high temperature caused from the box when it operates. If you unplug it and let it cool off for say half an hour, then when you connect it to power it starts immediately most of the times. I am not sure though about the last observation, because I have done limited testing (tried it twice).

In my opinion THIS IS A DESIGN OR PRODUCTION PROBLEM AND MUST BE DEALT WITH IMMEDIATELY, especially for a costly receiver as the DM800.

I would very much like to hear an official response from Dream Multimedia.

Thank you.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Don't wait a minute or longer.
    Pull the plug and re-plug it within a second, this should always work and it won't harm the hardware!

Olove

Grüße,
    Olove

"All we need to do ... is keep talking (Stephen Hawking)"

Ich leiste KEINEN Support per PN/E-Mail, derartige Anfragen werden nicht beantwortet.
    I won't give support via PN/E-Mail and I won't answer such messages.

• Dear Olove,

You probably did not understand my point. When I unplug it from mains and replug it, it will not start. I have to do this 10 times to make it start.

Do you believe this is normal? I believe it is a hardware fault. How can someone unplug and then re-plug the mains within a second? What if it takes 2 seconds?

I think it is a hardware fault. I have opened a ticket with the support. I am posting here for the case someone has the same issue with me.

Thank you.

• if the box doesn't boot up after reconnecting the power supply to the AC mains, you should quickly un- and replug the DC plug at the rear of the dreambox. that's the action that you were supposed to perform as quickly as possible like Olove referred to.

• Dear Fraxinas,

Thank you for the clarification. However, my box never starts-up when I un-plug it and then plug it again. Is this a known issue? Is it software, or hardware? What will happen if I am away from home and there is an interruption in electricity? If my box does not start up but remains plugged will it be damaged?

From my experimentation I have discovered that if power is removed from the box and NOT applied again for about half an hour, then almost always it starts up from the first time you apply power. If you unplug it and plug it again right away, it almost NEVER starts from the first try.

Thank you.

• dm 800 pvr:
    GUI (enigma2):
    Firmware (Release from 11.05.2008) :

I yesterday bought a DM 800. I configured the main settings and then I tried to restart. The dreambox rebooted and got stuck while rebooting. The oled screen kept going from the half of the progress bar until the end, then turn off and then turn on and do the same again. An endless loop! If I power down the DM 800 for about 30 minutes it will then boot again normally. If I restart, the same problem again and again. Please help.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von bon_gr ()

• Update: I unpluged the tuner and the problem stops. However as you understand the box cannot function without a tuner...

• Dear bon_gr,

Thanks for the information.

When you say that "the box cannot function without a tuner... "

you mean that
    it starts normally, reboots normaly... but you only see the menu on the TV?

or that
    it starts normally, rebbots normally, but it gets "stuck" because there is no tuner?

• I am experiencing exactly same problem. I have to plug/unplug the AC several times before OLED lights on and the boot process start. This is extrmely annoying as I thought I burned the receiver first time it happened.

• It happens to me as well. I was ready to send it back when I noticed you can still start it by reconnecting the power realy quick. I suppose the reset line is not working properly. My only worry is what happens when you have timers and you have a short power loss. Will the box start up and do the recordings?

• I had the same problem, but it has been solved with the new cvs.
    Try to install a recent cvs image like boxman or ozoon in flash and then install a good image like ******* inusb or hdd.
    You will see that many problem will disappear

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von floh ()

• I just recently changed my DM7000 to DM800. It has been working ok and has been somewhat stable. But now I am experiencing the boot problems.

I've been using [Moderator] Fremdimage, verstößt gegen die Boardregeln [/Moderator] image and two days ago it crashed. I tried rebooting but when it reboots the progress bar only reaches the left side of the "Booting" text. Then it hangs.

I reflashed the [Moderator] Fremdimage, verstößt gegen die Boardregeln [/Moderator] but the same happened. I then tried the original DMM image, [Moderator] Fremdimage, verstößt gegen die Boardregeln [/Moderator]. I got it to boot once with [Moderator] Fremdimage, verstößt gegen die Boardregeln [/Moderator], but only once.

Only when I left it unplugged overnight it booted up normally. But now after I watched a program for an hour and tried changing the channel it shows there's no signal. I try to reboot and it stops at the left side of the "Booting" text again.

Any ideas guys?

Mixu

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von floh ()

• Same problem for me.
    But if I unplug the DVI cable and DC power, I can reboot immediately.
    It's like some current is sinked from the DVI cable and prevents for a good cold reset.

• My DM 800 will not restart very annoying .

I have unplugged and reinserted about 20 times and still no go.

I have also tried to remove the dvi cable still no go.

What elese is there to check ?
    Normmaly when this happens the light for the cat 5 cable is on , but this time it is not.

Any help please

• Wait very long or remove the cable and plugin again within less then a second!

There is a little hardware problem which causes the Box will not boot if you remove power cable for a few seconds. Remove and Plugin again very quickly (less then a second) and LCD-Display should show up again and box should also boot. Otherwise leave the cable removed for 10-20 minutes and try again, but the trick with "plugin, remove, plugin" within a second works fine for me always!

However, this is the solution if it does not work at all after removing power cable! Dark LCD Display and nothing happens when you plugin your powercable ...

This is no solution for bad images or software- or driver-problems ...

Zitat

Thank you for the clarification. However, my box never starts-up when I un-plug it and then plug it again

Then you are not quick enough ... unplug and plug it in as fast as possible! Do not wait a few seconds before plugin it in again

Theorie ist, wenn man alles weiß, aber nichts funktioniert.
    Praxis ist, wenn alles funktioniert aber niemand weiß warum.

7 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Homey ()

• Please can you confrim unplug the power and reconnect with a second you mean the lead at the back of the dreambox and not the plug in the socket outet.

Mine was working fine until lastnight when i shut it oiff with deep standby and when i woke up this morning the display was still on I think it said boot, unplugged the dreanbox fom lead at back off the dreanbox and will not start very annoying as I would like t watch the football!!!

So what happens next?

• "If you unplug the box and then you re-plug it will not start, no matter how long you wait (I've waited for over 1 minute). You have to "power-cycle" the box several times -maybe 10- to make it start.

I have noticed that when it fails to start it may (sometimes it happens, sometimes not) light up a few lines of the OLED display for a fraction of a second. Moreover, I believe that it may have to do with high temperature caused from the box when it operates. If you unplug it and let it cool off for say half an hour, then when you connect it to power it starts immediately most of the times. I am not sure though about the last observation, because I have done limited testing (tried it twice)."

I have the same problem now as above have tried the unplugging and re plugging in in a second not working for me.

The led flashes with lines if i leave it 10 to 15 seconds is this an indication of a power surge.

Cannot get it to boot up has been working fine for weeks now but gradually got worse had to restart a few times the other day now it will not start fan comes on and nothing except the flash on led after 10 secs.

The network lights at the back are very dim.

It seems power has been cut due to heat but i cannot re jig it to start please help thanks

:smiling_face: