OpenTV EPG format (SKY)

• Another request similar to EPG format

Since 10 January 2008 Sky Italy has stopped EPG data trasmission in supported format (MHW ?).
    Now Sky Italy, as many other SKY country (like Sky UK ..) send EPG data only in OpenTV format.
    And there is no way till now for decoding OpenTV data.
    So 70x0 and 7025 italian owners are without EPG.

Italian Dreambox users are very disappointed.
    70xx is reaching an "out of market" state because now it has not basically features for a normal use.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ambrosa ()

• i can't remember that a dreambox is a licensed sky-decoder so why should dmm implement an propitary epg and who will pay the license fee's? i don't think that opentv is open source and officialy dmm also doesn't support mhw epg.

mfg

OoZooN

Support für OoZooN Images gibt es auf forum.oozoon.de , nicht hier!

Two Beer or not two Beer, thats the Question

Aktuelle Nachrichten rund um OoZooN-Images gibt es auf Twitter

• I understand the issues with OpenTV (it is the system that foxtel and Austar use in Australia). Obviously it would be great if someone *other* than DMM reverse engineered and developed a plugin but i don't expect DMM to be able to fix it.

BUT i think it is worth pointing out that XMLTV *IS* an open standard, without license fees and one where there is EPG data available for many countries and services with proprietary EPGs. Perhaps this would be a great work around for the problem for SKY as well as many other services around the world if it could be integrated into the dreambox EPG...

• Yes, a converter from XMLTV to 7025/7020/7000 EPG.DAT is fine and is a good solution.
    But it exists ?

I use XMLTV but I don't know how convert xml file to EPG.DAT format .....

Someone else ask for this converter
    Epg.dat

• Zitat

Originally posted by the_dragon
    At least for older dreamboxes there seems to be a plugin:

http://mv.dinglisch.net/
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/mv-plugin/

These are great but they only work under enigma1. Nothing similar exists for Enigma2 at this stage.

It appears that OpenTV are becoming very successful at getting their EPGs in use around the world. Most of the News Corp owned companies have switched to it or are switching to it and AFAIK they are the biggest players in the world.

Reverse engineering the whole OpenTV system (which consists of interactive TV applications as well) would be a great project for someone who knows a lot about these things but i wouldn't expect to it happen in a hurry.

However, in the meantime, the ability to import XMLTV would be a simple and effective work around!

q

• Zitat

Originally posted by qwertyuiop

However, in the meantime, the ability to import XMLTV would be a simple and effective work around!

YES ! You are agree !

BTW in the future SKy/NewsCorp and others can switch to a different epg system (from OpenTV to SomethingElseEPG) and we'll have again the same problem.

The most simple and standard system it's a XMLTV -> EPG.DAT conversion.
    I think that this conversion need high power, so someone need to develop a PC (Windows/Linux) / MAC software
    I believe that 7xxx cannot do the conversion.

• Well, there are more people in Italy then in a small village in France - so why not simply download the latest MV sources and have a look on the otvepg.c from the enigma1 Plugin ?

I did this, and If I understand the code right (and my french is not that great) it reads directly from the mux device and then filters out the otv epg data.

And it is done in only about 900 lines of code doing the job to get the data out of the transponder stream.

Porting this C programm as a standalone binary so that it gives you the EPG data directly on the DMM 7025 should be not such a big thing.

Getting then the data into the epg of the Box would be then not so different either, just some python hacking away :smiling_face:

So instead of complaining/requesting that soembody else does it for you get your compiler into gear ...

Ciao
    gutemine

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Lost in Translation ()

• And 'it can modify files "/enigma2/lib/dvb/lowlevel/mhw.h" "/enigma2/lib/dvb/epgcache.h" "/enigma2/lib/dvb/lowlevel/eit.h"?

X° MAS

Let's all get up and dance to a song....

• I didn't say that it would be a free lunch, but at least it would be worth a try.

But you are thinking to complex.

How do you eat an elephant: pice by pice !

So the first step ist to get EPG data out of the stream, if this is solved you can start to worry how to get it into the enigma2 of the Dreambox.

And for a Q&D integration a relatively simple pthon programm would be sufficient without using the enigma2 epg management routines at all
    (one of my favorites: only avoided problems are good problems)

Where would be the problem to tune on a SKY channel, press Blue Button and call an extension Plugin to get the EPG data - better then having nothing wouldn't it - and easy to be done too ?

And if the data extraction works you can start thinking how to integrate it into enigma2 (= next piece) !

I only said that the firs piece would be not a difficult one, because the code is already there, and if this would work then we can move to step 2, and then ....

I'm not saying that I could solve the problem or that my approach would be even a good one, but if there is nobody solving the problem completely and perfectly, why not going for an imperfect one :smiling_face:

PS: And I hate the NO(t possible) word in our imperfect (Dreambox) world.

Ciao
    gutemine

7 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Lost in Translation ()

• It took me less then 1hour to compile the multiepg binary from the latest MV Plugin for the 7025.

Give it I try - I'm not a Sky Italy customer.

Tune to a channel, and then enter in telnet:

root@dm7025:/media/hdd# ./multiepg -a 0 -d 0
    using /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0
    mhwepg2 found!
    UTC Offset = 0
    Country = ESP, Region = 1
    Local Time Offset = 7200
    Next Local Time Offset = 3600
    Date of change = 28/10/2007
    Reading summaries ...
    Nb of summaries : 6849
    Nb of titles : 15190
    Writing EPG data to file ...
    Nb of channels = 0
    root@dm7025:/media/hdd/#

That's the output from a Spanish D+ Info Channel - so at least it does something on my 7025

PS: Off course it will not really work and produce only an epg.dat for enigma1 - but now you should move to step 2 :smiling_face:

PPS: If you want to compile it yourself - simply do a make multiepg after extracting the sources and remove the powerpc flags from the Makefile, you only need to change a few small things which takes you less then 20 min for completing a successfull compile. If you want to continue I can post my src directory after the compile.

Ciao
    gutemine

• Thanks, but:

ERROR : no epg found ???

Infact Sky epg it's not a mhwepg....

dm500 - dm7000 - dm7025 - dm800 - dm8000

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von eagle ()

• I know that it is not an MHW EPG anymore, i just checked if the binary does something at all (without crashing).

I just said that MV includes the opentv sourcode also, so it would be a good starting point to get a working soulution fast.

Now that I have proven that it is pretty easy portable people can make it run instead of complaining :smiling_face:

Tell me a Sky channel which is FTA and has EPG on an original Sky box, and maybe I can use my hammer a little bit more - even when I don't plan to move to Italy.

Ciao
    gutemine

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Lost in Translation ()

• I do not regret .. I am not capable of doing these things

dm500 - dm7000 - dm7025 - dm800 - dm8000

• I'm sorry if my reply sounded blunt - Please take my excuses.

Look, I don't want to build a solution for this problem either, or maybe wouldn't even be capable of doing it understanding not 10%of the code that I quickly compiled.

I only wanted to point out that every journey starts with a first step - and in this case it wasn't even a difficult one, because people would not need to start from scratch because the EPG extract part of the enigma1 Plugin seems to be portable with very little effort.

And if you have the EPG data directly from the transponder instead of getting internet or xmltv or whatever EPG data - then the next step is already much easier and people are motivated because there is progress, instead of just tears, desperation, complaints and prayers :smiling_face:

PS: I forgot to change a demux pathname in the binary I posted, this should be now fixed (posted a new binary, and tar.gz of my src directory also here).

PS: There are filters set within the code for the different EPG data types, opentv for France channels seems to use
    4150, probably this needs adaption for the Italian version, but this is still not a big thing as long as it will finaly work and you can tweak it until it does the job.

PPS: promised source code so that people can continue development is attached now here. Only the make multiepg works off course.

Ciao
    gutemine

• Thanks for your help gutemine.

i was already studying sources of enigma2 and otvepg that i found on the net (enigma1 version but was only to understand how it grabs opentv epg)

yes tps uses a filter on 4150 and it's possibile the filter to be different

second instance is of service tipe: i'll try even another service type since on sky transponder i get 2 data streams with service type 135 (the one that otvepg reads) and 1 with service type 131

that i grabbed with dvbsnoop

i'll give it a try and thanks again

muto

• Provider: SkyItalia
    Channel: SKY TG 24 (there are 2 channel called "SKY TG 24")
    One or either are FTA and (I hope) transmit EPG data.

If you need this evening I can give to you more info about freq., pol. .....

• If I remember the code right you can compile it with -DTEST, then the filter is only a dummy and all data will be passed through

But if you know the correct Filter data then it is worth a try to change the sourcode to use it.

Ciao
    gutemine

• Zitat

Originally posted by eagle
    Thanks, but:

ERROR : no epg found ???

Infact Sky epg it's not a mhwepg....

Do you have any reason to assume that the epg format is the same
    as that on the French TPS transponder? otvepg is not likely to work if
    the format is different.

There are several reasons why the format would not be the same:
    -opentv is not a "format" but a software toolbox with which applications are
    built. There is no reason that the epg format is the same
    -otvepg does not seem to work on Sirius where a similar sky epg format
    is transmitted, even after changing pid's. This suggests that the format
    may be different (but I could have made a stupid mistake).

I have myself converted the original otvepg to the relook400 satellite receiver
    and I know that the TPS epg-format is quite complicated, mainly because it
    contains compressed data. Reverse engineering
    is not trivial but perhaps someone can provide some hints on the format
    and then it should be easier.

• If the sources work with sk* Italy on an enigma1 box then this part of the code (extracting the data from the transponder stream) should also work when running on an enigma2 box - the Unix and the dvb drivers and the transponder stream should be more or less the same.

And off couse you will probably need to change things but I just wanted to point out that you don't need to start from scratch by proving that the extract utility compiles also on the 7025.

And It is deffinitely easier to see if you can get data and then work on the filters and formatting to get everythig correctly as starting from scratch !

PS: I just used the french transponder (for which the code was developed) that is does something usefull :smiling_face:

Ciao
    gutemine

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Lost in Translation ()