• Would it be possible to create a virtual NIM (Network Interface Module) for watching IP TV? This NIM should be able to tune to URLs instead of tuning to satellite transponders. Enigma 2 should see such a virtual NIM as a 3rd NIM next to the 2 DVB-S/T/C NIMs.

It would be great if with such a virtual NIM one could watch to everything one could watch with Windows Media Player.

Regards, Frits

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von fwiarda ()

• There are standards. Windows Media Player is a de-facto standard. And ETSI has published TR 102 033 on this (attached), which is a framework for delivering DVB over IP.

There are many TV stations offering the possibility to view them via internet on Windows Media Player. If it is standardized enough to view them all via Windows Media Player it should be possible to write something universal for Linux as well. The only problem I see that the Dreambox has not enough processing power to do the video decoding in software. That limits us to MPEG-2 on the DM7025, but in the DM8000 we have MPEG-4 and Microsoft WM9 in hardware as well.

I believe most programs transmitted via internet are completely open. No digital rights management is used.

Currently the first providers of TV over IP are popping up. KPN in the Netherlands offers a service named "MIME" over ADSL, offering some 90 different TV stations. I guess they are using something based on the above ETSI framework.

I understand this is not a minor thing one could implement in a few days. However, receiving TV over IP has the possibility to become the next big thing. For Dream Multimedia it would be a good idea to be part of that.

My dream is that with a Dreambox I can watch content from different sources (DVB-S, DVB-T and DVB-IP) on a single box with a single user interface. Ideally, when watching TV one should not even know how the program gets into your house. With such a product, even your mother-in-law could watch TV via the internet.

Regards, Frits

• Zitat

Originally posted by digi_casi
    windows mediaplayer supports dvb-ip????

No, of cause there are two standards as always. Microsoft, and the rest of the world.

• Zitat

so, which stations broadcast in dvb-ip and don't have drm?

On http://www.watchonbroadband.com/ you find a large list of free IP TV stations.

It would be great if I could just place some of them in my Dreambox bouquet list and watch them as a regular TV station while laying on the couch.

• but how do you know that they are dvb-ip????
    i doubt it... actually :smiling_face:
    looks like these are all some proprietary windows mediaplayer or quicktime protocols.
    if they were dvb-ip they had n encapsulated ts and could easily be played back with vlc etc.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von digi_casi ()

• Zitat

but how do you know that they are dvb-ip????
    i doubt it... actually :smiling_face:

No, they are the Microsoft variant of IP TV.

My point is that there is plenty of TV content available on the internet. For a Dreambox user it would be great if that would be available on the Dreambox.

I think we need just a virtual NIM that maps the RTP streams from the internet onto DVB MPEG transport streams. This way, all application software in the Dreambox would not even be aware that the content comes from the internet instead of from the satellite. It would function exactly as it would be if the content comes from the satellite. Instead of a file satellites.xml defining the satellite transponders this NIM would read a file iptv.xml defining URLs.

I do not claim that this is something you build in a few weekends, but I am sure it is technically feasable. The reason to start this thread is to get input so the idea becomes more mature. Hopefully somewhere in the future enough people get enthusiast about it so it will be build.

Regards, Frits

• Zitat

you have to distinguish between iptv and dvb-ip

Under IP TV I understand television over IP, whatever the standard is. In this short discussion we have identified two mature standards:
    1) Windows Media Player;
    2) ETSI DVB-IP.

Perhaps one should develop separate virtual NIM for 1 and 2. I think for 1 the most content is available. On the other hand I think 2 is the easier to build.

Apart from the IP TV standard to use, what do you think about the concept of a virtual NIM, that behaves towards the upper layers (the application) of the Dreambox a just another NIM like the DVB-S/T/C NIMs?

• don't know. for dvb-ip it might work, but i haven't seen a single iptv channel using dvb-ip...

• I'm very interested in the solution. A virtual NIM is a very good idea and is imho not very difficult to program.
    Maybe a similar solution can be made for webradio. Than it can work the same way as a sat-radio channel and can be set into a bouquet.

Regards,
    BW

DM7025, 2xDVB-C (ZIggo), 300GB HDD (PATA)

• I am also interested in such a virtual ethernet NIM but mainly for live streaming from Dreambox to Dreambox for a hotel and WISP IPTV-Solution. With this it would be possible to build such a system only with Dreamboxes.

There could be a handful of Dreamboxes which do the headend work for DVB-S to IP for a whole transponder and the other boxes "tune" on different IPs or UDP ports for different transponders.

The whole MPEG-TS has to be packed in UDP or RTP packets and simply multicasted in the network. If every MPEG-PS has its own Port there should be less demuxing work for the Backend Dreamboxes. This could make it also possible for a DM 600 to watch such an IPTV channel.

• Zitat

don't know. for dvb-ip it might work, but i haven't seen a single iptv channel using dvb-ip...

Trinet – the student network provider for Helsinki University of Technology – multicasts a couple of dozen tv channels (and many radio channels, too) on their campus WAN.

The stream format would appear to be MPEG-2 TS where the transport stream packets have been encapsulated within TCP/UDP/RTP packets. (That’s pretty much the definition of DVB-IPI, isn’t it?) The transport streams come complete with video, DVB subtitles (depending on the channel), Teletext service (depending on the channel), and multiple audio tracks (depending on the channel.)

As far as I can tell, no downsampling or re-encoding of any kind is done to the pictures or the sound. That is, this is a “real” tv-over-IP service – not some reduced-quality Internet stream. The video and the audio streams are both multicast in their original, full broadcast quality. (The “payload” data in the streams seems to be exactly the same as how it appears in the “official” DVB-T/DVB-C/DVB-S broadcasts for these same channels, when receiving them via an ordinary rooftop antenna, cable tv subscription, or satellite dish.)

I believe these streams are modeled after the DVB-IPI standard and could be received with a set-top box conforming to the DVB-IPI specifications even though many of the students are currently using VLC and a desktop PC for receiving and viewing them, due to DVB-IPI set-top boxes not being readily available. (I think some of the more “advanced” users are using VDR or MythTV based Linux HTPCs connected to their tv sets.)

I’ve actually tried capturing these streams with VLC and playing them back on my DM 500. The DM 500 displays these .ts captures fine – for example, you can view the Teletext pages, choose between audio tracks in different languages, etc. The stream format would appear to be completely compatible with the ordinary DVB-T/S/C streams – the only exception being that I don’t think that the streams contain EIT schedule (EPG) data.

It would be great if the DM 500 (and the other Dreamboxes, too – such as the DM 7025, of course) allowed easy viewing, channel-surfing, and recording of these kind of services “live”. As already suggested, some sort of virtual DVB-IPI (TCP/UDP/RTP) Ethernet “NIM” would be an ideal way to implement it.

znark

10 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Jukka Aho ()

• Hi,

Did anybody have any success with this?

What I am trying to do is to have my DM7025 receive, render and output to the TV a UDP multicast stream containing MPEG2_TS data. This is simple IPTV - MPEG2_TS delivered over an IGMP multicast stream. I am serving the multicast stream from my own PC so I can control whether or not it also contains RTP (at the moment it doe not). There is no DRM, Microsoft TV or any other fancy stuff involved.

Does anybody know how I can get the DreamBox to listen to the multicast stream and output it to the TV? I've tried using the VLC plugin for my gemini2 image, but it seems to only handle unicast HTTP streams.

All advice appreciated...

• This is very similar to what is implemented in VLC player plugin. I'm not familiar with the implementation of VLC player but it should be the same idea, request the VLC server to send som RTP stream, and the plugin will receive the stream and play it on the screen.

• bonsoir il y a des sources Mumudvb pour dreambox,Mumudvb peut faire marcher les iptv et les chaines satellite

goodnight ago Mumudvb sources for dreambox, Mumudvb can walk the IPTV and satellite

DREAMBOX 7025 ,DREAMBOX 7020 SI TUNER ALPS

• Are they any news, how to receive free channels of t-home in astable way on dm8000?

I can run free multicast streams of t-com via a *.m3u file containing the udp multicast addresses in the MediaPlayer, before I had to add the gstreamer udp,rtp and rtp manager files to the dm8000. But even a low band SD stream of app. 3.5 MBit/s pixels. Bytheway I have 30 Mbit internet connection. I don´t really understand this, because the multicast stream of t-com is simple h264 ts stream, which should be supported by the HW Chip of my dm8000. It is simply encapsulated into udp and rtp. A usable solution for IPTV would be really nice, we not so far away from this wish, becasue it already works, but not stable... thanks in advance