DM7025 Heat vs Power supply efficiency

• question
    As the power supply dominates the heat generation on DM7025 then the power supply's efficiency is of course low. Do you know if there are projects which have tried to replace the "in box" DM 7025 power supply with something better? Have you heard if anybody have tried to design such a power supply?

best regards,

MK/Finland

Box type: DM7025
    GUI (enigma1/enigma2): Enigma2
    Firmware version: 2.1

• Hi Kanste, hope you'll read that since it have been writen a long time ago!
    I don't think that someone will change our DB power supplys with ones don't generate so much heat! And heat generation is getting whorse when you add a HDD in your 7025! Since DreamBox is more or less a computer you can use various PC components to solve the problem! Before I've had experienced freqwent system crashes due to generated heat so I desidet to instal a fan to cool the system down. True - it doesn't look so well but since this solves the problem I don't care how it looks like! I used a 8 or 10sm low RPM computer fan and took power for it from the boxes power suply for the HDD. I placed the fan on the uper side of the box and it works fine over a year now! for that period I had to open my box once to clean the dust - DB will show you when it's time for cleaning - it becomes less stable!!!

If anyone's interested on how the system looks like write down about it and I'll make some photos.

P.S. I'm remembering now that I've seen somwere on the net a DB with an internal fan but I didn' like the idea to install scrues an bolts in it or to drill a brand new DreamBox!

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von steamx ()

• Hi Steamx,

Yep, I have noticed that usually when there is a heat problems people tend to fix it by transferring heat away. Usually by fans etc.

It all comes to power supply efficiency. Lets say that HDD takes 10W and when using PS with efficiency ~70% PS generates 4.3W heat.

My approach would be to understand the power supply requirements and either find best available power supply or to design one by myself.

To be able to do it I need some schematics to be able to measure the maximum current taken from each power supply branch (for example 3A from +12V, 2A from +5V and so on....)

So anyone who has some info about power management and maybe schematics/block diagrams of power supply in DM7025 please let me know.