HDMI CEC issues - Samsung LE55A950 - Denon AVR-X2800H - DM920

• Hi there,

I have finally replaced my AV receiver with one having HDMI inputs. I have connected my DM920 with the receiver and hooked the TV on it too.

Yesterday I was quite happy it works how I always wanted it, when I power the Dreambox the TV and AVR are powered on too, the same goes for shut down. Having the volume control redirected to AVR, I don't need any other RC most of the time.

But during the night Dreambox powered on and started the AVR too (luckily the AVR power on volume limit was set quite low, so nobody was woken). The TV stayed off.

I have been able to reproduce it in the morning. I am not sure I am reading the log properly, but it looks like the TV is starting to communicate after being in stanby for 45 minutes and wakes the Dreambox, which wakes the AVR. I was able to prevent Dreambox from being woken byt disabling the option "Power on/off based on CEC Events", but this also prevented to wake Dreambox up while switching the AVR input from Radio to Dreambox. Is there any way to blocklist the TV to ignore its power on requests while allowing it from the AVR?

If not, how difficult would it be to extend the "Power on/off based on CEC Events" options by two blocklists, one for Power-on and other for Power-off)?

And as it looks, I have one additional issue with the TV doing something after 45 minutes, what puts it in a state which makes it immune to the CEC Power on calls, the only way to power it on is via the Samsung RC. In the attachments you can see the logs from each of the 3 phases. First when I put the Dreambox to Standby, second where you can see the communication from TV and third, where I Powered on the Dreambox, where it didn't wake up TV.

Please can somebody look at the logs, see if I interpret the logs properly and if there is some extra command or sequence of commands to wake the TV from the strange state.

Thanks, and have a peaceful and relaxing festive season!

PiGeon

• Hi,

CEC is not a protocol that works properly across brands.

You have to ask Samsung why the TV is doing such a crap.

You probably won't get an answer from Samsung, they don't care.

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE, TWO, DM920UHD, DM900UHD, DM820HD HDD + USB-HUB, Stick 64GB, USB-HDD, Keyboard K400r, Wlan-Stick 11n

(Flash) DP-OE2.6 (BAXII) eigenes OE2.6, debian-buster, Diverse

(Flash) DP-OE2.5 (BAXII) eigenes OE2.5-e2+kodi+X, debian-stretch, Diverse
    ---

AudioDSP: miniDSP 2x4HD

TV: LG OLED65BX9LB (PicCap)

---

Hyperion (NG), Hyperion (Classic) mit Plugin HyperionControl auf der Dreambox ONE/TWO

ESP32 mit WLED Wlan 263 LED's SK6812-NW 60 LED/m

DM9x0 Plugin EnigmaLight, Hyperion (NG)

Ambilight for ever

• I know some vendors' implementation of CEC is horrible, additionally, the TV is quite old, so one can't really hope Samsung will fix it and that's exactly the reason I am asking here :smiling_face:

Because here come the people who might have had a similar setup and found a solution already and the other reason is that Reichi could adjust the CEC plugin to make a workaround possible, either via the vendor specific or the experimental extension or implement the suggested blocklist.

The old AVR had a learning RC, so I could use its remote to start the TV as well and so could have just two RCs on the table, it was the same with DMs RC10. But the new AVR RC is not able to control the TV via infrared, it looks like they have bet everything on CEC.

It has been years since I tried to solve the "too many RCs on the table" situation with CEC, I really hoped the new AVR could change the game.

Yesterday I found out one can learn the RCU-BT to control other devices via the irdb.json, so there is a chance I could have just 2 RCs on the table again, but today I learned that I must find someone with Dreambox one or two to do the update :frowning_face:

thanks for helping

PiGeon

DM920
    Unstable image - always uptodate

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von PiGeon ()

• Hello, I had a similar problem with my Samsung. My feeling was that the Samsung sends signals over Bluetouth (to check for a remote control) at different intervals. I've tried all sorts of settings, and I've always had strange reactions. Four weeks ago I bought an LG television and connected it with the "old" Samsung settings. Since then there have been no more problems. Then I switched to "cec2.0 - Phytonbased". Also runs without problems. That didn't work at all with the Samsung. For me, the Dreambox is definitely not the problem, but the cause is to be found with the Samsung.
    Kind regards

• I know the cause is the Samsung TV, but we all know they will not fix it.

And I am not going to throw the TV in garbage if it still works perfectly, I don't want to create unnecessary waste.

So, I still hope there is some workaround possible with the HDMI vendor/experimental option/feature.

thanks for understanding

PiGeon

DM920
    Unstable image - always uptodate

• Yes, hdmi-cec is a difficult thing.

On all my Samsung-TV i had disabled all Special Event Handlers.

You must test any variants.

On my current Samsung-TV with DreamOne i had to changed the hdmi-cec2.0-code for me to prevent power on the DreamBox in the night.

But this is not possible on the dm920-code.

note: on any change hdmi-cec-setting you should better restart the dreambox

@august 1000

Von welcher Box ist der Screenshot ?

Gruß Sven (aka Dreamy)

DM920 mit unstable OE2.5 DP
    One mit unstable OE2.6 DP

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Sven H ()

• Weil es hier beim TE um eine dm920 geht.

Da ist es nicht hilfreich einen CEC2.0 Screenshots zu posten, was es nur auf der One/Two gibt :winking_face:

Gruß Sven (aka Dreamy)

DM920 mit unstable OE2.5 DP
    One mit unstable OE2.6 DP

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Sven H ()