Rumors and Facts about DP future

• Hi I want to start a new thread here in the English section so there is no need for a bad "Google Translate"

Reason, Because as the subject of this thread say. There are so many rumours and so little facts available.

I hope that we can get some information to fill in the gaps from the developers.

1. Is there going to be a universal image for Dreambox One, Two and Seven ?

2. What version of python will the next image be based on ?

3. Will the next generation of image be released before the release of Seven?

4. Will the next generation image get a new build environment and a new OE ?

5. Timetable. I am not asking for a timetable written in stone but there must be an set timetable as a goal to accomplish the tasks by DP :smiling_face:

And please... If I could I would make this thread read only for none DP Team Members.

Let the developers or those who have facts answer. All we others have no facts to publish.

Everything in life that's any fun is either immoral, illegal or fattening

• 1 was confirmed in a thread. There will be one image for all three models.

For 2 it's safe to say it will be python3 but no clue which minor

Also for 4 I would say yes because you can use a version of oe that uses latest version of packages that require py3.

Gruss
    Dre

Boxen (im Einsatz): DM920, DM900, DMOne
    Developer Project Merlin - we are OpenSource

• Olove

Hat das Thema geschlossen.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I've closed it, if Reichi has something to contribute, he can. :smiling_face:

Grüße,
    Olove

"All we need to do ... is keep talking (Stephen Hawking)"

Ich leiste KEINEN Support per PN/E-Mail, derartige Anfragen werden nicht beantwortet.
    I won't give support via PN/E-Mail and I won't answer such messages.

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. Is there going to be a universal image for Dreambox One, Two and Seven ?

Yes

2. What version of python will the next image be based on ?

4. Will the next generation image get a new build environment and a new OE ?

Well, this is a little more complicated than just that.

Doing all at once (universal images, new oe, python3 upgrade) would surely bring us into some kind of bug doom.
    So here's a rough and not binding "roadmap" on how we somehow plan to go with it

1. The initial "Universal" image will probably be released on pyro (the current opendreambox/openembedded distribution)
      There's already some strictly limited betatesting going on with selected people (no, you can't write me a PM to join, I won't answer those!)
    2. In parallel we're actively working on getting "Kirkstone" (the latest openembedded release) ready.
      This migration is quite cumbersome and takes some effort.
    3. We might release some kirkstone images (which will be universal) still using 2.7 before wie start migrating to python 3 (at the time of wrinting it would be python 3.10.4)

3. Will the next generation of image be released before the release of Seven?

That is likely to happen

Timetable. I am not asking for a timetable written in stone but there must be an set timetable as a goal to accomplish the tasks by DP

There will be no public statements about internal timetables.

There's a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes and getting things ready to release to the public just takes time (a LOT of time)