How to Install/Update Images on DM 520 without Cable?

• Hello,

I Need Help I'm New to Enigma 2 & Dreambox.. Been Days Trying to Find a Way to Update or Install Images on My DM 520 (Currently on Official Image that Came with: Dreambox OS 4.3.0r22 / Image Experimental 2016-07-06) whether Official DreamOS from dreamboxupdate or by Other Teams but The Problem is My PC has Problems Doesn't Work & I've No Router Currently, So Is There Anyway to Flash New Images Specially Official whether via Android FTP Telnet or USB? I've to Flash New Ones Mostly Bec. I Can't Run Cams (OSCam.. etc.) or Install Specific Plugins on The Current Old Firmware Many Files Come Up with Errors!

• There is a plugin called Dreamflash to flash an image via USB. But it's only possible to install it online after adding/installing an alternative feed (keyword: gutemine feed). Use this plugin to prepare an USB device for flashing without network.

it' s also possible to prepare an USB device manually on a computer (prefered OS Linux) or via terminal on your dreambox (a network or serial connection using the USB service port is required).

You have to create a FAT or ext4 partition and label it "DREAMFLASH". Then copy the image file to the root directory of the 1st partition and rename it to "dreambox-image-dmXXX.tar.xz"

dmXXX is the boxtype like dm520

Shut down the dreambox, plug in the device and start again. The flashing process should start automaticly required that the rescue loader of the box is up to date

Gruß Fred

Die Dreambox ist tot, es lebe die Dreambox

• Hello,

I've Followed ur Steps in 2nd Part about USB Partition It Didn't Work Unfortunately! The Receiver Starts Normally without Flashing..

But There's Another Problem Now, After an Hour I Forgot to Unplug The USB Storage & Pressed Wrongly on Recovery Instead of Reboot (This Happened Because Receiver Lagged!) from Remote Control & Now 520 Doesn't Start with Just Red LED :frowning_face:

• After 1 Year of Searching I Finally Found A Way/Solution.. For Anyone in My Situation You Can Just Download "BackupFlash" Plugin from Tunisia-Sat Website The Plugin will Just Simply Download Your Prefered Image on USB Stick & then Flash it Successfully without The Need for any Router or Ethernet Cable Just Make Sure You're Connected to Internet via WiFi Stick or 3G/4G Modem to Download The Images or If No Internet Available Just Create "backup" Folder Inside USB Stick & Put ur Pre-Downloaded Images Inside it, Make Sure The USB is Mounted in The Receiver & Flash :smiling_face:

• THIS Plugin and its developer is violating the Usage Rights of my swaproot binary and therefore my warning and disclaimer for ANY Problems this Plugin might cause to your Dreambox are fully applicable:

gutemine

If you therefore will NOT stop and remove such DUMB advice, I will follow the example of Barry Allen and FINISH any further development of dBackup - which includes the OFFICIAL swaproot binary and is the ONLY place where it is authorized to be used!

Due to this as the FINAL warning dBackup was removed from my feed until further notice!

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von gutemine ()

• Hey, Calm Down.. What's Your Problem?! My Intentions were Good I Just Found The Solution & Wanted to Help People/Anyone Having The Same Problem, Do u Think I Want to Steal Your Work?! I've No Idea about ur dBackup Plugin & I Don't Know Anyone Personally from The Other Mentioned Website! All I Wanted is to Help People as I Like When People Help Me, That's It! Solve Your Problem with Them Your Problem isn't with Me & No One Owns The Internet

• You are advertising something which doesn't really solve the Problem from this post, because you say yourself that you still need a Network Connection and a Working Image. Hence you are misguiding Others and recommending them a crappy solution and when you are told that this is NOT OK and actually could damage the user's Dreambox beyond the normal user's capability to repair, you ask ME to be calm and solve my problem ???

OK, then I will BE calm and FINISH also the dBackup Plugin Project this evening, as this is the perfekt solution to ... Stop the Steal ... (c) Donald Trump

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von gutemine ()

• It Did Work for Me Perfectly that's Why I Rushed here to Help Others I'm Not Advertising Anything If U Don't Believe That It's ur Problem, They Can Download What They Want via Their Smarphones I've a 3G/4G or How did I Register Here in The 1st Place? I Meant if Someone Doesn't Have a Landline, Router & Cable, Regarding WiFi Stick They Can Get Connection from Mobile Hotspot! I Can't Believe a Device Like This Doesn't Have a Simple Option Like This Upgrading Software/Flashing Images Through a USB or WiFi Stick !!! Really ? Cost Me Precious Wasted Hours & Time Searching for an Easy Thing Like That That Almost All Receivers Simply Does Except Dreambox !

• This is like potato and potato :winking_face: Users of other brands lacking the Webinterface for flashing are complaining about that.

But the point is that someone's work is missused by the solution you are providing since it against the license agreement.

Yes we can download and use pirat copies of Windows but still it's against the law. When it comes to persons doing all this work for free so we others don't have to pay for all the hours spent

We should respect this and instead since you can get the proper version for free. instead support our developers by not using pirate versions.

Now i get that you probably was not aware at first that your solution was a pirat version and your intentions where good. But all you needed to do was to install gutemines feeds plugin and from there install the safe version from the author direct

And in that way also support his development by not using none approved versions.

All this can easy be done the same way as you already installed the pirate version :smiling_face:

And yes Gutemine have sometimes the social skill of a drunken elephant in a porselen store :winking_face: But i am pretty sure most of it is just ironi and his/hers/hens sense of humor :smiling_face:

Everything in life that's any fun is either immoral, illegal or fattening

• It Did Work for Me Perfectly that's Why I Rushed here to Help Others I'm Not Advertising Anything If U Don't Believe That It's ur Problem, They Can Download What They Want via Their Smarphones I've a 3G/4G or How did I Register Here in The 1st Place? I Meant if Someone Doesn't Have a Landline, Router & Cable, Regarding WiFi Stick They Can Get Connection from Mobile Hotspot! I Can't Believe a Device Like This Doesn't Have a Simple Option Like This Upgrading Software/Flashing Images Through a USB or WiFi Stick !!! Really ? Cost Me Precious Wasted Hours & Time Searching for an Easy Thing Like That That Almost All Receivers Simply Does Except Dreambox !

Here's is easy method to Flash any Image on Dreambox (DM520, DM900 and DM920 etc), I explain here for DM520

1- Format USB with Fat-32

2- USB label " DREAMFLASH "

3- Copy image to USB Drive

4- Rename image " dreambox-image-dm520.tar.xz "

5 Insert USB to receiver

6 Now from standby menu select Recovery Mode

or Shut Down your receiver and then press and hold touch button of receiver

or from telnet give any one of below commands

to-the-rescue

or

echo "rescue" >> / proc / stb / fp / boot_mode

reboot

Note: If receiver is on red light then first power off your receiver from rocker switch.

Then power on your receiver and touch and hold front touch panel within 500 ms to bring receiver into Rescue Mode

• Sorry, Google translate.

Trolls from the Middle East periodically register on this site.

They provoke gutemine.

gutemine is dropping (stop) support for its plugins for Europeans.

The trolls are happy. Europeans are crying.

The question is, who does gutemine work for?

• Well, I’ve tried this on 2 DM525-Combo’s but no luck.. The box does see the USB stick and obviously the image file as well as it starts blinking. You can wait for half an hour, still blinking. Transferring the very same image file using ‘Recovery’ from the Recovery WebIF does work.. Any ideas?

Gutemine is ‘self-employed’, an exceptional coder but - IMHO - very narcistic/autistic. He has very deep insite Dream knowledge which give way for persistent rumours that he has been working for Dream-Multimedia at some point as he has access to drivers….

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von mimisiku () aus folgendem Grund: Ein Beitrag von mimisiku mit diesem Beitrag zusammengefügt.

• Look, when people Post Google translated instructions which come from threads Here in this board, why should we correct their Errors, left Outs and misleadings?

Just a few simple examples - if you have a tar.gz (Backup) Image renaming it to tar.xz as the instructions advices is the Road to failure.

If you have Other devices attached to USB and don't unplug them... same road.

etc .... I would have 4-5 More Points but I was asked to Stop posting here :face_with_tongue:

PS: There is a reason why I created DreamFlash Plugin to avoid Most of These Potential roads to failure

• Ich nütze immer dBackup und jetzt DreamFlash um meine Backups zu erstellen. Die Backups können über WebIF (Rescue Loader) wieder eingespielt werden. Am DM920 geht das immer bestens. Nur die kleinen (DM520, 525) schaffen das nie. Anscheinent sind meine Backups zu gross. Nach eine weile kommt ein Fehler und reagiert die Box nicht mehr…

Wenn es noch dBackup gab installierte ich das Recovery Image, dann dBackup drauf. Dann mittels PC über IP der Box/dbackup die Backup zurück gespielt. Das geht bis 220 Mb. Ein grösseres Backup gelingt aber nicht…

Wie gross darf ein Backup denn maximal sein?

• Das Problem ist das Memory der Box, weil bei tar.xz brauchst du einfach auch viel Memory zum dekomprimieren. Das kannst du aber mal selber austesten, so bei 180-200MB wird es auf der 520 bereits eng wenn ich mich recht erinnere. Mit tar.gz geht deutlich mehr, aber selbst das geht nicht unbegrenzt.

Ich mache das zwar etwas Memory schonender als der Rescue Loader, aber zaubern kann ich bzw. meine Binaries auch nicht - ich könnte zwar die Zahl der cores und das memory limitiere welche zum dekomprimieren verwendet werden reduzieren aber dann werden die user wieder ungeduldig, weil sie glauben es passiert nicht mehr und drehen die box einfach ab und vor allem mag ich beim Proggen auf die Hardware der dm52x nicht mehr wirklich Rücksicht nehmen.

Nicht umsonst sagte ich schon vor Monaten das es für die Mipsel boxen nichts Neues mehr geben wird und Ihr mit dem leben müsst was es derzeit gibt.