Problem with EXT4 and NTFS formatted external drives

• 1. Please post the output of the follwing command executed on the Dream One via ssh or telnet:

Code
    cat /proc/mounts

2. what blocksize did you use when formatting the NTFS - keep in mind that this is now a 64 Bit Linux and NOT 32 Bit anymore and recordings are BIG files, which means you should use the biggest possible blocksize and NOT the default one your PC might have proposed.

opendreambox 2.6.0 dreambox

dreambox login: root

Password:

root@dreambox:~# cat /proc/mounts

/dev/root / ext4 rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 0

devtmpfs /dev devtmpfs rw,relatime,size=285884k,nr_inodes=71471,mode=755 0 0

proc /proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0

/dev/mmcblk1p1 /media/ba ext4 rw,noatime,nodiratime,nodelalloc,data=journal 0 0

sysfs /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0

securityfs /sys/kernel/security securityfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0

tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0

devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000 0 0

tmpfs /run tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755 0 0

tmpfs /sys/fs/cgroup tmpfs ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755 0 0

cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,release_agent=/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd 0 0

pstore /sys/fs/pstore pstore rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0

cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/debug cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,debug 0 0

cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset 0 0

cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/devices cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices 0 0

cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/memory cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory 0 0

cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct 0 0

cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer 0 0

cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/schedtune cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,schedtune 0 0

systemd-1 /data autofs rw,relatime,fd=11,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=544 0 0

mqueue /dev/mqueue mqueue rw,relatime 0 0

debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,relatime 0 0

tmpfs /var/volatile tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755 0 0

tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw,relatime 0 0

configfs /sys/kernel/config configfs rw,relatime 0 0

fusectl /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw,relatime 0 0

/etc/auto.misc /misc autofs rw,relatime,fd=6,pgrp=454,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,indirect,pipe_ino=18947 0 0

-hosts /net autofs rw,relatime,fd=12,pgrp=454,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,indirect,pipe_ino=18204 0 0

/etc/auto.hotplug /autofs autofs rw,relatime,fd=18,pgrp=454,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,indirect,pipe_ino=4519 0 0

/etc/auto.network /media/net autofs rw,relatime,fd=24,pgrp=454,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,indirect,pipe_ino=18953 0 0

/dev/dreambox-data /data ext4 rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 0

root@dreambox:~#

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Vahid_Tweak ()

• OK, you are using the minimal (!) 4k Blocksize which is optimal for storing lots of small files., but this is totally idiotic for doing PVR recordings.

Format it with at least 64k, or up to the maximum 2048kB and you will see the difference.

Seems also like you have not permanently mounted the stick, which means it will be mounted also from autofs - which then is a sync mount instdead of async - which is another nightmare for a PVR recording.

Which means there is nothing to fix, except your understanding what you are actually doing :fearful_face:

• How to mount it correctly?

I formatted the external HDD as ntfs and 64k. But the receiver didn't recognize the hard drive and following message is displayed👇👇

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Vahid_Tweak ()

• You should mount in telnet to see errors. Use blksize=xxxx mount option, but be aware that the ntfs drivers on Linux have limitations (due to the fuse architecture) and blocksize is not the same as cluster size. A binary like ntfsinfo would tell you the difference on a real Linux PC (or your could steal the ntfsinfo arm64 binary from Debian Stretch)

Which brings us back that using NTFS for recordings is not a good idea at all :winking_face:

And you should have first fixed the mount to be permanent and avoid using autofs, because mounting USB with sync will even cause problems when recording on USB with ext4 filesystem.

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Lost in Space ()

• I don't know what you are expecting, the latest version is already on the feed. And if you are missing the kernel module for ntfs then build it by yourself.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von dhwz ()

• ntfs disk formated working here.

• ntfs disk formated working here.

When it’s being play from hard, there is no problem, but when i forward or backward the video like twenty times or more, the image will be constant or the receiver doesn’t work at all and i have to turn it off from the back button and again turn it on.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Vahid_Tweak ()

• ... the receiver doesn’t work at all and i have to turn it off from the back button and again turn it on.

third bad idea ...

In some cases NTFS will not work as expected. NTFS is a proprietary filesystem for linux with all its limitations.

Have you ever tried ext4 instead of NTFS? Everything is better than this desaster. I have been using linux receivers with ext4 formated drives a in a windows environment for years and I never had such problems.

Do you also ask the Microsoft support for ext4 or btrfs support? There are also proprietary Windows drivers for ext filesystems available. But you will never get support for this ...

Gruß Fred

Die Dreambox ist tot, es lebe die Dreambox

• When it’s being play from hard, there is no problem, but when i forward or backward the video like twenty times or more, the image will be constant or the receiver doesn’t work at all and i have to turn it off from the back button and again turn it on.

Where is the proof that this in any way related to NTFS?

• Now I’m using dm900 and dm520 models except dreamone, and I have’nt any problem with external hard NTFS formated.

Anyways, this is a serious problem with the dreambox one model that is not typical in other models like dm920, dm900, dm520, dm820, dm7080, dm7020...

However, it is working perfectly on other models like dm920, dm520 and dm7020.

• But the Manufacturer don't tell you, that NTFS will work on any one models.

Would be nice if it works, but not a serious problem when not.

The best way is only change to a filesystem that is realy supported on this Linux.

>> Wir Schweizer haben die Uhren, aber keine Zeit ! <<

• Vahid_Tweak

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Problem with NTFS formatted external drives“ zu „Problem with EXT4 and NTFS formatted external drives“ geändert.