Problem with EXT4 and NTFS formatted external drives

• This could be the issue, try to connect the other USB Pin to another stable Source or use an active USB hub.

(bendszke und quert1 Fan)

Ich suche Beta-Tester für mein Programm --> Tagebuch.xls, ich würde mich sehr freuen wenn die Profis mal ein Auge drauf werfen.. :smiling_face:

• Recording to an NTFS formatted drive is not a good idea. Use a EXT3/4 formatted drive. I wouldn't be surprised the problem is gone afterwards

Anyways, this is a serious problem with the dreambox one model that is not typical in other models like dm920, dm900, dm520, dm820, dm7080, dm7020...

So this issue should be fixed in dreambox one.

In addition, personally I’d like to record on an external hard drive with NTFS format. Because it can easily get disconnected from the receiver. Also it is faster and more convenient to transfer the data to a computer (windows OS) by a USB port.

• Faster and less complicated than copying over FTP using Gbit LAN? I don' t think so ...

Do you umount the external drive first before you unplug it? If not, this is the at least second bad idea in this topic.

Gruß Fred

Die Dreambox ist tot, es lebe die Dreambox

• Faster and less complicated than copying over FTP using Gbit LAN? I don' t think so ...

Do you umount the external drive first before you unplug it? If not, this is the at least second bad idea in this topic.

Coping files with USB3 port (Speed 97 MB/s)👇

Coping files with FTP using Gbit LAN (Speed 10 MB/s)👇

• You can't compare the NTFS performance under windows with the NTFS performance under Linux. As the posters above already tried to tell you: NTFS under Linux ist a performance killer, anyway you use it local or over ftp.

• You can't compare the NTFS performance under windows with the NTFS performance under Linux. As the posters above already tried to tell you: NTFS under Linux ist a performance killer, anyway you use it local or over ftp.

I think our discussion is going off the topic.

My main concern is why the NTFS formatted external drives have not been working correctly in the dream one models. However, it is working perfectly on other models like dm920, dm520 and dm7020.

• dream one OS = Linux

NTFS is never the first choice for linux

It's not our problem, when you want to ignore this :winking_face:

Solution:

Use a NAS.

You can connect with windows clients over CIFS/SMB/Samba AND with linux clients over NFS

The NAS can share the files and dirs to both worlds with better performance as USB3+NTFS on an embedded linux system

• As a customer I thought I’m responsible to report the problem. I believe Dreambox also is responsible to fix that problem for the customers.

I was wondering why users of other Dreambox models haven’t had any problems with NTFS formatted external drives!!

thanks a lot

• Vahid_Tweak

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Problem with playback on HDD ntfs format“ zu „Problem with NTFS formatted external drives“ geändert.
  • Why users of other Dreambox models haven’t had any problems with external hard drives NTFS formatted?

• 1. Please post the output of the follwing command executed on the Dream One via ssh or telnet:

Code
    cat /proc/mounts

2. what blocksize did you use when formatting the NTFS - keep in mind that this is now a 64 Bit Linux and NOT 32 Bit anymore and recordings are BIG files, which means you should use the biggest possible blocksize and NOT the default one your PC might have proposed.