Unable to load a new image

• oh, sorry - that was my mistake. I already corrected it

The box has been booted to the rescue-mode and you want to recover the box online via Webinterface?

Gruß Fred

Die Dreambox ist tot, es lebe die Dreambox

• I would like to recover it by any means, my knowledge is limited so any help is very welcome,. I understand it may be a hardware problem that I can't fix , but I will try all options and thanks for your help

• Tried again with the rescue loader to load an image and again it came up with

Code
    Fatal: Target device '/dev/mmcblk0p2' is not writable
  • I fear, that the flash memory device is defective - that's what the meassage possible means

in the rescue-mode the available commands are limited, but let's try it:

what's the output of

fdisk -lu /dev/mmcblk0

blkid|grep mmcblk0

Gruß Fred

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Fred Bogus Trumper ()

• root@dm920:~# fdisk -lu /dev/mmcblk0

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 7818 MB, 7818182656 bytes

4 heads, 16 sectors/track, 238592 cylinders, total 15269888 sectors

Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Disk /dev/mmcblk0 doesn't contain a valid partition table

root@dm920:~# blkid|grep mmcblk0

• hm, that's the reason: there are no valid partitons

it should be partitioned like this (the dm900 has only 4GB flash memory instead of 8GB of the dm920, so the values are different)

the command parted is not available in the rescue mode to create a GPT partition table. so I don't know how to create it manually.

Maybe a Dream Property developer is able to help

Gruß Fred

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Fred Bogus Trumper ()

• I have an idea - but I'm not sure if it will work:

If a dm920 user writes the partion table of his box into a file and upload it here, you can write the working dm920 partition table from the file into your flash memory device when booted into the rescue mode. After this you can create new ext4 filesystems on /dev/mmcblk0p2 (rootfs) and /dev/mmcblk0p3 (data) .

But this would be experimental and I never did it on a dreambox flash memory device before.

But let's wait what a dreambox developer will suggest in this case.

Gruß Fred

• Fred Bogus Trumper

wenn man die Partition im Flash verändert hat, (z.B. wegen der 2GB im Root), wird da nicht die Partitionstabelle auch neu geschrieben?

Dann bräuchte er doch eigentlich, wenn er im Rescue Loader ist, nur mit dem gleichen Partitionsbefehl (wie bei der Veränderung des Root von 1GB auf 2GB) arbeiten und könnte so Erfolg haben?

Code
    sgdisk /dev/mmcblk0 -z -n 1:2048:65535 -c 1:kernel -t 1:8301 -n 2:65536:4194303 -c 2:rootfs -t 2:8307 -n 3:4194304: -c 3:data -t 3:8300

Mal so laienhaft dahinsimuliert...

• Hi Binsche, Thank you for your help. I have tried both of your codes and here are the results.

root@dm920:~# fdisk -lu / dev / mmcblk0

fdisk: can't open '/': Is a directory

fdisk: can't open 'dev': No such file or directory

fdisk: can't open '/': Is a directory

fdisk: can't open 'mmcblk0': No such file or directory

root@dm920:~# sgdisk / dev / mmcblk0 -z -n 1: 2048: 65535 -c 1: kernel -t 1: 8

01 -n 2: 65536: 4194303 -

• it also says.

root@dm920:~# sgdisk / dev / mmcblk0 -z -n 1: 2048: 65535 -c 1: kernel -t 1: 8

01 -n 2: 65536: 4194303 -c 2: rootfs -t 2: 8307 -n 3: 4194304: -c 3 : data -t 3

The specified path is a directory!

Problem opening '' for writing! Program will now terminate.

root@dm920:~#

• there were no blanks near the / in the originally posted commands ...

• Binsche

das könnte funktionieren, an sgdisk hatte ich natürlich nicht gedacht ...

scotty28

the workaround with sgdisk could work when booted into the rescue mode. I did not thougt about this command before.

It will make the same as copying the first 512 bytes of the flash memory device of an other dm920 to your device (the first 512 Bytes include the MBR and the partition table)

But be aware! Your command was probably wrong as posted. Please post it as CODE (the icon </> in the menubar of the forum editor) like this - it is only one command!

Code
    sgdisk /dev/mmcblk0 -z -n 1:2048:65535 -c 1:kernel -t 1:8301 -n 2:65536:4194303 -c 2:rootfs -t 2:8307 -n 3:4194304: -c 3:data -t 3:8300

there ist no space between "/" "dev" "/" and "mmcblk0" as you wrote

but be aware and at your own risk :winking_face:

Gruß Fred

• I copied and pasted both the command directly from Binsche and copied and pasted the results in telnet as they were written.

I have copied your command Fred and here is the result.

root@dm920:~# sgdisk /dev/mmcblk0 -z -n 1:2048:65535 -c 1:kernel -t 1:8301 -n 2

65536:4194303 -c 2:rootfs -t 2:8307 -n 3:4194304: -c 3:data -t 3:8300

Caution: invalid main GPT header, but valid backup; regenerating main header

from backup!

Caution! After loading partitions, the CRC doesn't check out
    Warning! Main partition table CRC mismatch! Loaded backup partition table

instead of main partition table!

Warning! One or more CRCs don't match. You should repair the disk!

Invalid partition data
    GPT data structures destroyed! You may now partition the disk using fdisk or

other utilities.

Hope this makes some sense

• Fred Bogus Trumper ,Binsche, gutemine , Hilfsbereit and Renard . WOW!!!! Between you , you have brought my dead box back to life, I am currently loading channels on a NEW image.

I will give you the details when I can upload it, I am unable to copy it from telnet . Basically I put in the CODE:sgdisk /dev/mmcblk0 -z -n 1:2048:65535 -c 1:kernel -t 1:8301 -n 2:65536:4194303 -c 2:rootfs -t 2:8307 -n 3:4194304: -c 3:data -t 3:8300 in then tried the CODE: fdisk -lu / dev / mmcblk0 , a couple of times then it reacted and I was able to use the rescue loader online recovery and loaded a new image. Thank you all for your input, your knowledge is BRILLIANT .

THANKS !!!

:thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

• nice and congrats!!

I thougt that the flash memory device is defective.

But there is one open question: How did you destroy your the flash memory partition table?

Gruß Fred

• I tried to load a bootlogo .mvi and bootlogo.wait file , then it crashed. Renard pointed out to me that the 920 only has a bootlogo.mvi. Maybe the file didn't suit the image or it was corrupt , I just don't know as I normally check these things. One good thing tho, I am always trying to learn more about my dreamboxes and I certainly learned lots from people like yourself ,who have great knowledge on file systems.