Quad PiP with DM900 or DM920

• Thank you for the fast reply.

Hardware limitations where? Cpu? Tuner?

I have noticed that some GigaBlue and VU+ models have this feature. Why is this not possible on Dreambox?

• OK. Thanks. It looks like I will have to sell my Dreambox.

Is it the type, MIPS vs ARM that determines if Quad PiP is possible? Or does it have to be a specific SoC?

• 1 year later...

SOC is System On a Chip, but what is it that makes the chip in DM900 and DM920 different from the one in for instance some VU+ and Gigablue receivers which have quad pip?

Will it ever become possible with quad pip on DM900 and DM920?

• Only when you change the SoC to one with 4 Video decoders. :winking_face_with_tongue:

djmastera2000 told you before this is a HARDWARE limitation.

Do you now what this means?

>> Wir Schweizer haben die Uhren, aber keine Zeit ! <<

• Only when you change the SoC to one with 4 Video decoders. :winking_face_with_tongue:

djmastera2000 told you before this is a HARDWARE limitation.

Do you now what this means?

I know what hardware limitation means. I also asked whether it had something to do with ARM vs MIPS, which nobody bothered to answer...

On my DM900 with triple tuner I can:

Record 4 different channels at the same time (2 from cable and 2 from satellite). But I cannot view 4 channels at the same time?

And yes the 2 cable channels are on the same frequency and yes the 2 satellite channels are on the same transponder/frequency.

Sorry for assuming that the 4 channels that is being recorded meant that 4 video streams were being decoded by the receiver...

Bilder

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von buksti () aus folgendem Grund: Added screen shot from my computer showing 4 channels from the same transponder being streamed from my DM900 with triple tuner

• That is also the problem on the Dreambox One, that this box can't show pip.
    This box has only one videodecoder to show video.
    Record two or more different services is no problem.

Gruß Sven (aka Dreamy)

DM920 mit unstable OE2.5 DP
    One mit unstable OE2.6 DP

• Sorry for assuming that the 4 channels that is being recorded meant that 4 video streams were being decoded by the receiver...

For recording is't necessary to decode the video stream. The Dreambox can write simple the transponder stream with a channel filter to the drive.

You can write more than 10 channels to a drive when you have a enough tuner or these channel are only on few transponders.

Only when you will display a stream a video decoder is required.

• For recording is't necessary to decode the video stream. The Dreambox can write simple the transponder stream with a channel filter to the drive.

You can write more than 10 channels to a drive when you have a enough tuner or these channel are only on few transponders.

Only when you will display a stream a video decoder is required.

Thanks. I learn something new every day :smiling_face:

Which decoder is used when I play 4 streams in VLC on my computer? That is the computer which does everything?

That is also the problem on the Dreambox One, that this box can't show pip.
    This box has only one videodecoder to show video.
    Record two or more different services is no problem.

The Dreambox One is considerably cheaper than DM900 and DM920 which can be considered as the flagshop models.

I also find it as a bad decision not to use Android TV in The Dreambox One.

Unfortunately it seems that the competition is ahead of Dream Multimedia in both technology and support...

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von buksti () aus folgendem Grund: Merged a post created by buksti into this post.

• Which decoder is used when I play 4 streams in VLC on my computer?

For this you need no decoder on the Dreambox.

The PC get only the datastream, and VLC do everything.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Swiss-MAD () aus folgendem Grund: Typo