FTP Fails to Upload

• Hi all!

I recently upgraded my Dreambox from OE 1.6 to OE 2.0 and now the FTP is not working right. I can connect and authenticate, and I can do directory listings just fine, but as soon as I try to upload something the connection goes dies and then the client tries to reconnect but fails, then tries again but fails, then tries again but fails, etc.

I am using FileZilla 3.39 on Windows 10. Here is a log.

Here is a screenshot also, I think it's a bit easier to read with the color coding.

What could it be? I normally access the Dreambox wirelessly using a wireless access point. But I now have had a network cable connected directly to the Dreambox to rule out a problem with wireless connection, and I still have the same problem.

There is a twist to this though! I can telnet to the Dreambox and then use FTP just fine.

• Hm... try to guess: what might the error message „Login incorrect“ mean...

Interesting... :face_with_open_mouth:

But why was it correct the first time?

Code
    Status:	Connection established, waiting for welcome message...

It says "logged in" does it not?

• This seems to be related to FileZilla and the different transfer modes and what not.

A bird in the tree tells me that FTP is an ugly protocol with a lot of complexities... such ass passive vs. active, binary vs. ascii mode, etc. Plus the need to open ports on the router to make it work correctly.

So I downloaded WinSCP and it works flawlessly.

Now... is SFTP not a thing on Dreambox?...

• „Login incorrect“ means that you use the wrong login credentials (wrong user and/or password)

By default, it is not possible to use SFTP to connect to a Dreambox using OE1.6/EO2.0. The necessary openssh-sftp-server package is also not available at most of the software feeds.

when following this <link> you can find an openssh.zip with the needed package openssh-sftp-server_5.9p1-r5_mips32el.ipk to use SFTP on a dreambox with OE2.0

an alternativly solution to use SFTP with OE2.0 is the free <Green End SFTP Server>

Gruß Fred

Die Dreambox ist tot, es lebe die Dreambox

• „Login incorrect“ means that you use the wrong login credentials (wrong user and/or password)

Yes but that's line 27, not line 3. Also, that was not me. That was FileZilla trying to reconnect.

I can connect and authenticate, and I can do directory listings just fine, but as soon as I try to upload something the connection goes dies and then the client tries to reconnect but fails

Like I said, it works in WinSCP which is an alternative FTP client.

I will try to install the SFTP package. Thanks!

• The dreambox has a builtin ssh server/client called dropbear. It supports the secure file transfer scp, but nut sftp.
    WinSCP also supports scp.
    The openssh binaries are using much more resources on flash and RAM . You should respect this, espacially on your older system.

If you really must use the Filezilla Application, then you have no choice. But WinSCP is the better choice.