DVB Subtitles - no DVB subtitle on Animal Planet HD (0.8W - canal digital)

• Someone contacted us (Peter Pan team) regarding missing DVB subtitle on this channel. After some time people in the same thread also reportet the same issue for other image makers eg. OpenPli, OpenATV, and also for other tuner producers like Mutant.

Could this be somewhat the same issue discussed i OpenPli forum in 2010. Then there was discusses three other channels with the same problem. It was mentioned in this thread some framebuffer acelleration not supported by the driver.

https://forums.openpli.org/topic/11468-dm800-subtitles/

Have tested a bit and the subtitle box comes around after a while but it is transparent with no text in it.

- FoxyRabbit - Peter Pan team -

• In fact, the DVB subtitles are still there BUT they are now using the 3 extra feauture bits. Normally they are '0' but recently Viacom is using these bits to define the DVB layout. OpenPli has fixed this and others may follow. In a nutshell: fontsize set to 40 (was 50) and border set to 3..

• Latest update DreamOS 2.5 on DM525 no subtitle on Viacom channels...

• Same problem here, with Thor 0.8 and Animal Planet HD. No subtitle.

If I record Animal Planet HD, and playback the TS file via VLC, the subtitle is working fine.

The same problem on many DM box'es, allso the original DM firmware.

Have allso tryede the last unstable DM525 "dreambox-image-deb-dm520-20180811.tar.xz" version, but stille no subtitle.

Same problem on:
    New DM525 OE2.5
    DM800HD OE2.0
    DM800se OE2.0

Hope someone can fix this problem.

Btw. This problem started about 3 weeks ago, on Thor 0.8/C*nalD*gital

Best regards

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von delinend ()

• Why? It's a simple fix! Just set all DVB 3 'feature bits' to 0 or change the font size to 40 pixels and a 3-bit shadow/border.... Nothing fancy...
    Off course I can't (and won't) force anybody bút more and more stations chance to this new setting as HD becomes more standard than exception. Not just Viacomm but also RTL has changed....

• It would be sad, if only a fix for OE2.5 is comming.
    Many OE2.0 DM boxes, is still sold in regions, where subtitle is used.

Maybe DM has to remove (take back from sellers) or mark these box'es as not supported anymore.

But at fix whatsoever, is very welcome.

• if subtitles are working on 99% of the channels on 99% of the sat positions you will simply have bad cards, or will have to switch to open* images for these boxes or buy a new Dreambox where it will be hopefully fixed soon.

• Does someone know why this DVB change is coming now? Is the new option any way "better" than before, and will we see lots of other services that will use this in the near future? If so, it would be natural to update OE2.0 also? Else there will be a lot of dreambox tuners out there that no longer can be used with original images.

- FoxyRabbit - Peter Pan team -

• "can not be used" when some subtitles are not viewable is a strange argument.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Lost in Translation ()

• If my understanding of your answer is correct, I think you misunderstand FoyRabbits point.
    It is a matter of IF this will be the new standard for DVB subs. Then it will be a major problem. Not only for OE 2.5 boxes, wich hopefully will get a fix soon.
    But there are PLENTY of OE 2.0 boxes out there.

- oddvarr - Peter Pan Team -

• no one cares about oe2.0 boxes anymore. as dhwz wrote above we're passed eol and they're not produced anymore since years.

Gruss
    Dre

Boxen (im Einsatz): DM920, DM900, DMOne
    Developer Project Merlin - we are OpenSource

• I am very well aware 2.0 boxes are obsolete.
    But if devs find the fix for 2.5 boxes and also find this fix can be implemented for 2.0 boxes. Why not?
    I appreciate DP, as a company, are interrested in making money trough selling new HW. So that could be a why not. :smiling_face:

But I will not go on nagging about this anymore.
    Hopefully there will be a fix soon.

Norwegian provider Canal Digital 0.8W have quite a few services using DVB subs. But not all are affected by this new standard.
    Hopefully the fix will be available before this standard is implemented on more/all services using DVB subs.

- oddvarr - Peter Pan Team -